Duquette: "I like our starting rotation."

Hank Scorpio

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT? :laughlol:

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2013/12/duquette-on-weeks-the-closer-role-and-more-and-ptnl-possibles.html

"We need some help in the outfield and DH and we'd like to sign some additional pitchers, but I have to tell you I like our starting rotation. Think it's more established now than it has been the last couple of years at this time.

"Particularly with the emergence of (Chris) Tillman. Miguel Gonzalez has been good, (Wei-Yin) Chen has been good and we added (Bud) Norris. We have some dependable innings in that group. We have to find some additional innings and we'll continue to look for someone to DH, particularly against right-handed pitching and we'd like to add another outfielder."

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to tell you I like our starting rotation. Think it's more established now than it has been the last couple of years at this time.
He has to like it because he can't afford to do much more. I wonder if he's counting on Gausman from the start because since the season ended he let Feldman and Hammel leave.

Yeah its fine for him to say this as its pretty stupid for him to say anything else.

Although, saying nothing may be better for us all, but I guess the media monster must be fed.

These comments don't mean he won't go get more pitching. I hope.

I mean... what's he going to say? He does have 4 SP on contracts. He personally traded for Norris, so he must like something about him. And Tillman, Chen, and Gonzo are pretty solid, all things considered. There's just no #1 guy. Or #5 guy at the moment.

I like our 60% solution:) Plus when one of those guys gets hurt (statistically it will happen), you have 2 out of 5.

I think that's a solid four, but only if you bring in an above average number five guy in order to offset the lack of a true number one. If we sign Feldman, or someone better, I'll be happy with our rotation.

I agree with this, but throwing a Garza at the top of this rotation (instead of Feldman) makes a BIG difference. It's been very interesting how quiet the Garza front has been thus far.

Isn't DD right? Tillman is established as a 2, MiGon has been worth 5 WAR over the past two seasons and Chen has been worth over 4 WAR. It is more established, more under team control and fewer questions marks just with this core.

The question is - who will be added to these 3?

Isn't DD right? Tillman is established as a 2, MiGon has been worth 5 WAR over the past two seasons and Chen has been worth over 4 WAR. It is more established, more under team control and fewer questions marks just with this core.

All true, but 3 solid starters does not a rotation make.

If its Feldman and Norris...that's not great.

Garza and Norris with Gausman in AAA is pretty nice rotation.

As budget strapped as this team is, they are fortunate that they have these three at team friendly prices. Think about it, Phil Hughes costs more than these three combined.

I believe they'll give Norris every opportunity to lock down a spot.

For the final spot, will they just have Gausman, Johnson, Britton battle it out? Or do they allow some bullpen guys like Hunter, Matusz, and MacFarland in the mix?

If anyone outside of the org is in play, I'd wager it will be more of the Freddy Garcia variety than the Matt Garza types.

This could all be just GM speak though.

I'd be thrilled with AJ Burnett on a 1 year deal...We should be begging him to play baseball next year.

Yeah Burnett would be great. I trust him only a little bit less than I trust Garza and he would come at a significantly smaller price in terms of dollars, years and a pick. I think DD should have a 1/10 offer on the table. Enough, hopefully, to outbid the Pirates and keep him from retiring. I'd even be fine with 1/12 since it would still give us more flexibility than signing Feldman and certainly more than Garza.

Can we really blame DD? He is given no money to spend and is trying to make it work with what he has to work with, which is not much.

I think there is a lot of frustration to spread around...

Buck would have kept using JJ if he were on the roster so DD literally had to trade him away. I am shocked her didn't tell Buck to play Hatterberg at first:)

Not DD's fault...the normal lack of aggressiveness in the offseason can rest squarely on our owner who stinks. He has placed an artificial salary cap, no doubt in my mind.

Archived