Orioles have signed outfielder Francisco Peguero

Justinlstn

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good 4th outfielder with upside. The guys has a .300 career batting average in the minors. He was the Giants #5 prospect after 2011 and their #8 prospect after 2012. He's ultra aggressive at the plate but doesn't strike out excessively. Sure, he's a longshot to become a regular but plenty of baseball people don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility. Some guys are late bloomers. Read a scouting report on Peguero. Plus speed, plus defensively in RF, cannon arm, plus bat speed with untapped power potential. If he had realized his potential he wouldn't have been available for nothing. Good signing. He's better than Avery with more upside than Hoes. Let the jokes begin. lol

Perfect summary. This is what makes the OH special.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Peguero signs for $180,550 <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23orioles&src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="https://twitter.com/masnRoch/statuses/409335158911672320">December 7, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hard to see this guy making the team.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> have done a really nice job this offseason stacking their roster with AAAA caliber righthanded hitting leftfielders.</p>— Brett Hollander (@BrettHollander) <a href="

">December 7, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He's definitely not a lock but he could make it. Right now, the Orioles don't have a true backup CF-OF on the roster. Last year, McLouth could slide over if he had to. He's gone, of course. Peguero could be a PR, late innings defensive replacement in LF and get some AB's in RF (his best position). A lot depends on if the O's sign a LH DH. Let's say Reimold wins the LF job and the O's sign a LH DH to platoon with Valencia. That leaves Pearce and Peguero fighting it out for the last spot probably and Pearce is redundant with Reimold and Valencia. Under that scenario, Peguero would have a good chance. Now, if the O's sign a LF who is good defensively, his chances go way down.

Also, if Jemile Weeks makes the team, it probably hurts Peguero, as Weeks has speed and played some OF (CF) last year.

Excellent post!! Thanks!! The Roch article on this signing this morning noted that DD saying plans are still in the market for a left-handed hitting outfielder. Thoughts as to who that might turn out to be?

They better pony up the money for Choo then. Give him four years and give him LF. Then you have your leadoff guy and you also provide some proof that you aren't blinking and putting profits over winning. Because right now there's no real reason to think the Orioles care enough about winning to make an effort to do so. You're in the varsity league. Get varsity players or quit pretending (and raising ticket prices at the same time).

Excellent post!! Thanks!! The Roch article on this signing this morning noted that DD saying plans are still in the market for a left-handed hitting outfielder. Thoughts as to who that might turn out to be?

Did it indicate if he was in the trade or the FA market for this component?

They better pony up the money for Choo then. Give him four years and give him LF. Then you have your leadoff guy and you also provide some proof that you aren't blinking and putting profits over winning. Because right now there's no real reason to think the Orioles care enough about winning to make an effort to do so. You're in the varsity league. Get varsity players or quit pretending (and raising ticket prices at the same time).

I agree, but I think Choo will get at least 5-6 years. If it was my money, I think I would still offer him a deal for that length, but it will probably be a deal breaker for King Pete. Hopefully I am wrong.

I agree, but I think Choo will get at least 5-6 years. If it was my money, I think I would still offer him a deal for that length, but it will probably be a deal breaker for King Pete. Hopefully I am wrong.

I want to respond and be clear about this as my opinion. I think I would do that as well as it would fill a lot of holes now, though I bet three years from now we would be having the Nick Markakis discussion.

I Believe That Peter Angelos gave Dan Duquette a budget. I believe that is as much as Peter knows about any ongoing discussions.

I want to respond and be clear about this as my opinion. I think I would do that as well as it would fill a lot of holes now, though I bet three years from now we would be having the Nick Markakis discussion.

I Believe That Peter Angelos gave Dan Duquette a budget. I believe that is as much as Peter knows about any ongoing discussions.

I believe that is only part of the story. Yes, I think there is a 2014 budget, but I think there is more to it. Is it a coincidence that DD signs on with the O's and is all of a sudden philosophically opposed to LT contracts for free agents? Do you think if DD squeezed Cliff Lee into the 2014 "budget" he could pull the trigger on a deal? What about Kemp?

I think there is some sort of budget, around 100 marbles, but I don't think DD has any autonomy to take on long term commitments without the blessing of PA.

I believe that is only part of the story. Yes, I think there is a 2014 budget, but I think there is more to it. Is it a coincidence that DD signs on with the O's and is all of a sudden philosophically opposed to LT contracts for free agents? Do you think if DD squeezed Cliff Lee into the 2014 "budget" he could pull the trigger on a deal? What about Kemp?

I think there is some sort of budget, around 100 marbles, but I don't think DD has any autonomy to take on long term commitments without the blessing of PA.

Yes. I do believe he can and he is far too smart to hamstring himself for the duration of his contract when other alternatives exist. I believe he is opposed to long big contract because he knows that he does have budget constraints.

Yes. I do believe he can and he is far too smart to hamstring himself for the duration of his contract when other alternatives exist. I believe he is opposed to long big contract because he knows that he does have budget constraints.

You can only give your opinion and I respect that, but I also respectfully disagree. Now, the Cliff Lee example probably wasn't a good one because it is such an albatross but I don't think there is any chance that DD could go get a Kemp contract (20M ish until age 34) without PA's blessing, which he wouldn't get.

You can only give your opinion and I respect that, but I also respectfully disagree. Now, the Cliff Lee example probably wasn't a good one because it is such an albatross but I don't think there is any chance that DD could go get a Kemp contract (20M ish until age 34) without PA's blessing, which he wouldn't get.

You do not believe he could if it fit into his budget that he could do it?

Archived