Dan Duquette Translation. ($100 million payroll or just shiny marbles?)

weams

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a pretty telling statement if you ask me. Ownership is going to pocket the TV revenue along with it's MASN money and throw out a token increase in budget. This is your Baltimore Orioles. We just have to accept it and move on.

We really do. Further we need to judge moves based on this fact. Truth is that $100mm isn't exactly chump change either.

We really do. Further we need to judge moves based on this fact. Truth is that $100mm isn't exactly chump change either.

It is when the Nationals, Cardinals and Tigers are spending significantly more and no one can tell us why the Orioles are not spending the MLB TV money.

I mean, it's not like this is some shocking revelation or breaking news, right?

No, but the eternal optimist in every Orioles fan just thinks maybe, just maybe, Angelos will be shamed enough into opening up the checkbook instead of rolling in more wealth. The Orioles have always been a business to him and it will continue to be a business. As long as the Orioles are in the black, and I'm sure they are significantly, he's a happy man. Winning or being a true contender for a World Series is nothing more than icing on the cake.

A $100 Million budget doesn't bother me so much as watching a dysfunctional organization lacking the ability to succeed within those parameters and being locked into a roster full of sacred cows.

Markakis would seem to be the only player left that fits that mold so I'm not sure where you are going with this.

100M is just about enough to sign Feldman, McLouth and a closer.

Ugh, I wish that you were not right but I know that you are. Sad....

I hope to see some savvy trades...the Mariners are coming off as desperate. It would be wise to see what may come of a team with a wealth of pitching prospects and a desire to win now.

It is when the Nationals, Cardinals and Tigers are spending significantly more and no one can tell us why the Orioles are not spending the MLB TV money.

Pass judgement on Angelos all you want. It's fair criticism and I completely agree with you. My point is only that we should be able to win with a $100mm payroll. I tend to get tired of that excuse.

Of course I would like them to spend more, but all a GM can really ask for is parameters to work within and the freedom to do what needs to be done to work within those parameters. It becomes the GM's responsibility to make moves in accordance with this budget. Whether or not he has the freedom to make the moves he wants is still probably debatable (see Markakis, Nick)

No, but the eternal optimist in every Orioles fan just thinks maybe, just maybe, Angelos will be shamed enough into opening up the checkbook instead of rolling in more wealth. The Orioles have always been a business to him and it will continue to be a business. As long as the Orioles are in the black, and I'm sure they are significantly, he's a happy man. Winning or being a true contender for a World Series is nothing more than icing on the cake.

First, I think the budget will be over $100M though it might be close to 100 on OD with DD keep some in reserve for opportunities during the season.

Second, how in the world was JJ going to get over $10M in arbitration? I understand it is all a logic based argument, based on performance, stuff like WAR, blown saves, total saves, etc, but if a reliever getting over $10M is so uncommon, how was JJ going to get this amount?

Third, we should have traded JJ last year.

$100 million payroll isn't what is used to be.

Payrolls starting 2013.

Notice, $100 million puts you right in the middle of the pack.

I agree the Orioles shouldn't commit to $100+ for the next 5 years, but for 2014 and 2015, when this team is in contention...I see no reason they shouldn't be able to go up significantly.

Archived