Axford rising on Orioles' wish list

Greg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Axford rising on Orioles' wish list - School of Roch: The Orioles are likely to find their next closer on the ... <a href="http://t.co/jNyMFQSqLU">http://t.co/jNyMFQSqLU</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">December 5, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/12/axford-rising-on-orioles-wish-list.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just quickly reading the article, this is why Roch doesn't really know the guts of baseball. He puts a positive spin on Axford with career statistics and 10 innings with the Cardinals last September. The bottom line is this guy has been pretty bad for two full years now. The strikeout rates are way down and the hits per inning are up. When a power reliever starts giving up more hits than innings pitched, that's a red flag to me, particularly with mediocre walk rates. This would be a massive mistake and be the first time I really questioned Duquette's smarts. This would be his Kevin Gregg. Awful, if it happens.

Maybe the protocol now is to have Roch float a name, let the OH react and then decide whether or not to do it.

I do remember the board loved them some Kevin Gregg.

Just quickly reading the article, this is why Roch doesn't really know the guts of baseball. He puts a positive spin on Axford with career statistics and 10 innings with the Cardinals last September. The bottom line is this guy has been pretty bad for two full years now. The strikeout rates are way down and the hits per inning are up. When a power reliever starts giving up more hits than innings pitched, that's a red flag to me, particularly with mediocre walk rates. This would be a massive mistake and be the first time I really questioned Duquette's smarts. This would be his Kevin Gregg. Awful, if it happens.

He also has to toe the company line too. Nothing negative.

Not a fan of Axford. If we thought JJ was bad last season, this guy would make him look like Mariano. He was once a solid closer, dependable even. Once a closer loses his stuff, it's sometimes hard for them to regain full confidence and I think that is the case with him.

Not a fan of Axford. If we thought JJ was bad last season, this guy would make him look like Mariano. He was once a solid closer, dependable even. Once a closer loses his stuff, it's sometimes hard for them to regain full confidence and I think that is the case with him.

How could they possibly sign Axford for closer when he has not recently been great? If he was good it has been very sporadic. Axford cannot be the closer they are looking for. Maybe just BP help.

Archived