Axford rising on Orioles' wish list

Greg

Apparently he has some connection to Rick Peterson. This scares me. This reminds me of when Peterson had a lot of input with the Mets and they traded Kazmir to the Rays because Peterson though he could "fix" Victor Zambrano.

There was a video online a few years back where Peterson was speaking with a large group in a conference room setting about biomechanical analysis and a good portion of the discussion focused on Axford and the changes instituted in his delivery which RP was crediting for his big season. So, there is some type of history there.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It never got old! I am still reading to this day in amazement of last year.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/15/jim-johnson-is-making-a-run-at-all-time-blown-saves-record/

Relievers, especially closers not named Rivera, tend to be very volatile. And unreliable year to year. Especially when their sinker comes in belt high for no reason. Other than reoccurring back problems. And probably a good bit of wear and tear to the shoulder capsule.

There was a video online a few years back where Peterson was speaking with a large group in a conference room setting about biomechanical analysis and a good portion of the discussion focused on Axford and the changes instituted in his delivery which RP was crediting for his big season. So, there is some type of history there.

I was there during that presentation. It was interesting stuff.

Apparently he has some connection to Rick Peterson. This scares me. This reminds me of when Peterson had a lot of input with the Mets and they traded Kazmir to the Rays because Peterson though he could "fix" Victor Zambrano.

They were in Milwaukee together a few years ago.

Obviously he's been terrible pretty recently but I heard on MLB Network Radio the other night that Axford looked good for the Cardinals last year (I didn't see him pitch there at all so I don't know). Take it with a grain of salt but I would definitely like to get Axford in our pen, just not as the closer.

That does make this guy more interesting.

I think Axford would be a good signing, but I agree the closer's role should be a competition between him, Hunter, and whoever else is in the pen next year. (I still think O'Day works best as a matchup reliever in the late innings.)

I think Axford would be a good signing, but I agree the closer's role should be a competition between him, Hunter, and whoever else is in the pen next year. (I still think O'Day works best as a matchup reliever in the late innings.)

Depends on the price tag. I still prefer Jesse Crain.

Archived