Season Ticket Prices Going Up

OrangeJerseys

"The Orioles are instituting single-game dynamic pricing, in which prices fluctuate depending on the demand for a specific game, meaning there will be no more fixed-price tickets.

More than a dozen major league clubs, both big and small market alike, have instituted some type of dynamic pricing in recent years, including the Chicago Cubs, Minnesota Twins, New York Mets, Oakland Athletics, San Francisco Giants and St. Louis Cardinals.

Under dynamic pricing, prices for single-game tickets against popular teams like the division-rival New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox or the regional-rival Washington Nationals likely will rise as the date approaches. Popular promotions and weekend and holiday dates also could trigger a spike in price as the game nears."

This sounds horrible. I hate this change. So now $9 Tshirt day turns into maybe $20 Tshirt day? This is a huge blow to walkup sales. No more fixed price tickets. Disgusting.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dyanmic pricing where the price changes each day due to demand for the game? Geez I think I am out. I already decided to not get season tickets and now I doubt I will go to any games next year. I guess they saw how well dynamic pricing works for the airlines (bankruptcies) they want to do it for sporting events.

I do have to laugh at all of you who paid for playoff tickets in advance and now are stuck getting plans this year. I told you that was a waste of money.

Dyanmic pricing where the price changes each day due to demand for the game? Geez I think I am out. I already decided to not get season tickets and now I doubt I will go to any games next year. I guess they saw how well dynamic pricing works for the airlines (bankruptcies) they want to do it for sporting events.

I do have to laugh at all of you who paid for playoff tickets in advance and now are stuck getting plans this year. I told you that was a waste of money.

this is a stunning development to me. How is this not getting more negative press?

Now the club's 81 home dates will be divided into five difference pricing levels, from six “value” games, including weekday games against the Tampa Bay Rays and Toronto Blue Jays, to five “elite” games, including Opening Day and Saturday-night games against the Yankees, Red Sox and Cardinals.

Those elite games against the Yankees and the Red Sox are on September 13 and 20. I wonder if anyone will even care by then. I foresee a return to the Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park South days. That seems to be what the FO is going for.

This whole thing has made me really angry. I can see no getting into the free agency bidding as guys just get overpaid and then you end up guys who you are paying who aren't even playing anymore but the ticket nonsense has got out of hand. I guess I will just watch the games on TV. I went to 16 games and had lower boxes last year. I am sure I won't be missed.

This teams ownership is a complete joke. The team will be so much better off when it's free of the Angelos family.

So if by chance you want to hit a game one night...you now have no clue how much it will cost? Boy that sounds really fan friendly. Could be $10...could be $20.

Just wrote this:

The Orioles just announced that they will be raising season ticket prices by 5%.

Let that settle in for a second. OK, on the surface this isn't such a big deal. It's the first increase since 2008. And honestly the team prior to 2012 and 2013 couldn't raise season ticket prices without looking like a bigger joke than they already were.

But the timing of this announcement makes me feel that the Orioles PR staff were dropped on their collective heads at birth. Here's a rundown:

Team Salary (2011-2013)

In 2011: $88.2 million

In 2012: $84.8 million

In 2013: $92.2 million

Source: Baseball Prospectus

According to FanGraphs, MLB teams will receive an additional $25 million more a year due to new MLB TV contracts.

Brian Roberts contract is no longer on the books, so that saves the team $10 million/year.

Before even factoring in the Jim Johnson trade, the Orioles have an additional $35 million that they could (SHOULD!) spend.

Now, as well all know, Jim Johnson (and his $10 million salary) was recently traded to the Oakland Athletics for essentially a bag of balls (Jemile Weeks and the wonderful Player To Be Named Later).

So, Brian Roberts ($10 million), Jim Johnson ($10 million) gone.

New TV deal money ($25 million) in.

That's a total of $45 million extra available money. Now, this doesn't count the salary increases from arbitration or the recent signings/walks...but that's a very large number.

All of that said, over the last 2 weeks, it has been a very, very busy Hot Stove for MLB.

Robinson Cano signs with the Mariners for 10 years, $240 million

Curtis Granderson signs with the Mets for 4 years, $60 million

Scott Feldman signs with the Astros for 3 years, $30 million

Jacoby Ellsbury signs with the Yankees for 7 years, $148 million

Carlos Beltran signs with the Yankees for 3 years, $45 million

Nate McLouth signs with the Nationals for 2 years, $10.75 million

With all that said, the Orioles have signed/claimed/traded:

Signed Kelvin De La Cruz (LHP) to one year contract (relief pitcher)

Signed Edgmer Escalona to one year contract (relief pitcher)

Claimed Cord Phelps (INF) from Indians

Signed Steve Pearce (OF) to one year contract

Signed Nolan Reimold to one year contract

Traded Jim Johnson to Oakland for Jemile Weeks and a PTBNL

Signed Ryan Webb (RHP) to 2 year contract ($4.5 million) (relief pitcher)

And they're working on signing Francisco Peguero.

FWIW, it was even confirmed by Dan Duquette that they didn't even make a formal offer to McLouth or Feldman. Now, this could be seen as a GOOD thing, if they're indeed in on Choo, Garza, etc. But I doubt it.

In case you're wondering, their 40 man roster is nearly full. Granted they can cut some loose weight, and trade some players (Matusz, Patton I'm looking at you)..but it's nearly full.

So, a bunch of relief pitchers, traded their closer for an infielder, and a few OF'ers with not much ability.

In the midst of ALL of this, the Orioles have decided to announce that they're raising season ticket prices.

Here's a hint O's PR staff. How about you announce a SIGNIFICANT signing before screwing your most loyal fans?

I've been a season ticket holder since 2007. And right now this is a huge misstep by the O's PR department.

Aside from extending your own stars (Brian Roberts, Adam Jones, Nick Markakis, etc.) over the years, does anyone have ANY confidence that Peter Angelos will actually open his pocket book? Especially with an extra $45 million available?

In case you need any more reason not to have a lick of confidence in Peter Angelos, here are the "BIG" free agent signings over the last 10 years:

2004: Javy Lopez for a 3 year, $22.5 million deal, Miguel Tejada for a 6 year, $72 million deal

2006: Ramon Hernandez for a 4 year, $27.5 million deal

2007: Aubrey Huff for a 3 year, $20 million deal

If there are others that I'm missing, let me know. But in the grand scheme of things, the Orioles just don't sign high dollar free agents. Especially not for long contracts (aside from Miguel Tejada). And especially not starting pitchers.

I want to remain hopeful that there is some chance in hell that the Orioles do the right thing and sign a Matt Garza type as well as Shin-Soo Choo (who has a career OBP of 389).

But I just can't see it happening.

We don't have to be the Yankees and spend out the wazoo. But we aren't the Tampa Bay Rays. We can carry a $90-$100 million payroll. And some would argue we should be carrying a $120 million payroll.

Unfortunately Peter Angelos is handcuffing Dan Duquette.

And the O's PR department is driving the dagger in deeper.

Shame on you, Peter Angelos.

Shame on you, Orioles.

http://www.stephenpauladams.com/articles/shame-on-the-orioles-shame-on-peter-angelos/

If there are big moves planned for the future, this news comes simply at a laughably awkward time.... one that we'll chuckle over in a month or two.

If there are no big moves planned for the future, the Orioles have completely lost touch with their fanbase.

If there are big moves planned for the future, this news comes simply at a laughably awkward time.... one that we'll chuckle over in a month or two.

If there are no big moves planned for the future, the Orioles have completely lost touch with their fanbase.

two winning seasons...I guess we should feel spoiled. What a joke.

Baltimore Sun Sports: The Orioles plan to raise season-ticket prices by about 5 percent and expand dynamic pricing.

http://bit.ly/1d7cuuL Txt STOP 2 quit

No way. They can't possibly be so completely oblivious and inept as to release this info on the same day that two of their players from last year's team sign with other clubs without even getting a formal offer from the Orioles and without any sort of obvious replacement plan in place...

Can they???

Archived