"We are not the New York Yankees. We are not New York..." (Winter Meetings Thread)

weams

When Peter said this the other day, I really passed it by as a throw away line.

In reflection, I do feel a much stronger move to the reload not rebuild model.

On the Eve of the Winter Meetings, Who do you expect Dan to trade.

Not a poll, but what prospects, and 25 man rosters do you expect to be moved in trades this week?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's easy to sit here and proclaim "no one is worth that kind of money," but the owners are the billionaires and they're swimming in profits. Would you rather them pocket the money or put it back in the on-field product? Think about it. They have the money. It's either going to be the owner's dough or the players.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/24367475/what-winter-meetings-winners-losers-from-a-crazy-week

Patton or Matusz to be traded seems pretty likely. If the Orioles sign another reliever, I would not be shocked to see Hunter get dealt. As far as prospects go, I will be surprised to see anyone from the top 10 dealt. Fringe guys like Belfiore and Chris Jones. A Bridwell or Davies could get dealt and maybe someone as high as Mike Wright. As far as blockbusters, I don't see it. I think Hardy, Wieters, and Davis will all be Orioles headed into ST.

What could Hunter bring back?

Patton or Matusz to be traded seems pretty likely. If the Orioles sign another reliever, I would not be shocked to see Hunter get dealt. As far as prospects go, I will be surprised to see anyone from the top 10 dealt. Fringe guys like Belfiore and Chris Jones. A Bridwell or Davies could get dealt and maybe someone as high as Mike Wright. As far as blockbusters, I don't see it. I think Hardy, Wieters, and Davis will all be Orioles headed into ST.

I hope for that.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Winning 2 more games looks like a long shot.  This team played over their heads for so long, I think they just ran out of gas.  Maybe we can get a couple more ace like starter performances or just play a Yankees/Blue Jays B squad.  Disappointing to finish the year this way, even though I never thought the O's would be near .500 this year.
    • But bringing in busts like Reed really hurt us bad.
    • I understand the complaints about the lineup but really the reason we came back down to earth is the bullpen.   We were close to automatic in games we were ahead of the 6th and in almost every game if the starter kept us close.    The bullpen regressed, wore out, whatever you want to say.   As a whole, the bullpen was great for most of the season.   If the bullpen doesn't go flat, we probably make the playoffs or the season goes down to the final couple of games.
    • Thanks for everything that you all do on the Hangout. I discovered it in 1999 and have been a loyal reader ever since. Not only is it the best baseball fan site, It is the best sports fan site around.    I haven’t posted in many years, but I haven’t been this excited about the Orioles in a very long time. Thanks again guys. 
    • Carrying the lineup, no.  Likely being one less glaring hole in the lineup?  Very possible.  Helping the team win more by not being close to an automatic out?  Probable.  I understand the left versus right arguments and the pitcher splits.  But I think it's been way over blown and relied upon way too much by whoever is making that decision, be it Hyde, Elias or whatever PC just spits out the lineup.  We've put inferior players in the lineup way to often this year... it's amazing we have won a many as we have really. 
    • Even if Aguilar is never on the team Stowers is not carrying the lineup vs LHP. They simply have not performed.    There is zero doubt in my mind that Hyde is not solely making decisions. 
    • They basically hung around 6-8 over .500 for awhile. 9 over after A’s series. Plus 7 after Jays series, 6 after Boston, 8 after DC, 7 after Jays, 6 after Detroit, 6 after Houston. Now it’s down to 4. In between never dipped below 5, never over 8 after A’s series.    I really want 3-3 the rest of way, 2-4 at minimum.  Would like 4-2. 
  • Popular Contributors