MLB has now decided to eliminate home-plate collisions at home plate

Greg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While they're getting rid of stupid things in baseball, how about making both leagues play with the same rules? DH or no DH there shouldn't be two sets of rules.

I agree! You know for all the O's fans who like the DH rule. I honestly think the O's would win more if we moved to the NL. We never have a good DH.

I'd like to see the actual rule. I tend to think that the wording is more like "must avoid contact" than "must slide". A "must slide" rule becomes very tricky because if there is no slide, but no contact and the play is deemed "close" the runner can be called out.

Looks like it hasn't been completely written yet, but it does bar catchers from blocking the plate:

"The rule, which must still be defined and finalized prior to a vote, will also prohibit catchers from blocking the plate, similar to players making tags at a base."

http://tracking.si.com/2013/12/11/mlb-home-plate-collisions/?eref=sihp

Seems like a good idea to me. I always thought that collisions at the plate, while exciting, were kind of stupid.

This is a good rule honestly. Now catchers should "guard" home plate just like a second baseman or SS makes plays at second base. The home plate collision is unnecessary and this is from someone who use to think it it was poor when they took it away from adult baseball years ago.

This is a good rule honestly. Now catchers should "guard" home plate just like a second baseman or SS makes plays at second base. The home plate collision is unnecessary and this is from someone who use to think it it was poor when they took it away from adult baseball years ago.

I used to love a good home plate collision.

Then I started reading what folks suffering from concussions have been dealing with.

Not worth it.

While they're getting rid of stupid things in baseball, how about making both leagues play with the same rules? DH or no DH there shouldn't be two sets of rules.
I agree! You know for all the O's fans who like the DH rule. I honestly think the O's would win more if we moved to the NL. We never have a good DH.

And while we're at it, let's make all minor league baseballs the exact same dimensions of the MLB ball. Makes no sense that players (especially pitchers, to whom the feel and grip of the ball is super-important) train up on one ball but have to use a slightly different one in the bigs.

Great rule change imo. The rule of the catcher not blocking the plate and the runner not being able to target the catcher works well at every other level. Baseball is a game of skill and execution and allowing collisions at home plate whose only purpose is to knock the hell out of the catcher in hopes of him dropping the ball is completely out of character with how the rest of the game is played.

Taking out a defender at 2B on a DP ball is not even comparable to home plate collisions for those that would cite that example. Not even in the same ballpark, no pun intended. If you are for home plate collisions, what is the rationale for not letting ARod knock the ball out of Bronson Arroyo's glove while going down to first base? Or maybe giving an elbow to the head of the first baseman on a close play?

Archived