Os have considered extending JJ Hardy.

Greg

Roberts also missed significant time with Back and Leg injuries.

Were bats (or possibly stairs) eliminated as suspects in those injuries? I've always been suspicious.

#TilaTequilaKnowsTheTruth

EDIT: but in all seriousness, the concussion problems are ultimately what ruined his contract/the latter part of his career with the O's. Maybe he would have been hurt in other ways, but hitting himself in the head is what destroyed the lion's share of his value, and it's not something I'd anticipate Hardy doing to himself.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wild fluctuations? He's been worth 4.3, 2.6, and 3.4 fWAR since joining the Orioles. He's been consistently valuable, if anything. Besides, look at the FA market, and think about the question I asked above: who plays third if Hardy's gone and Machado's moved? FA's are only getting more expensive, and the O's don't have many potential, positional replacements in the minors. How much do you think a soon-to-be FA Hardy would garner in a trade? If he'd net a ready-for-the-majors infield prospect, then why wouldn't the team trading for Hardy simply run with the prospect? If Hardy wouldn't get you that kind of player, why are you trading him away? A handful of marbles? For what, FA relief pitchers?

Hardy plays a difficult to fill position, he plays it well, and he might continue to play it for a reasonable price for the O's. I say keep him. I also say change for the sake of change isn't productive.

Looking at his career, I don't see how one couldn't say his value has fluctuated a lot. Even in the 3 years he's been here, there's quite a bit of difference between 4.3 and 2.6. Being valuable mostly based on defensive prowess isn't something I would bank on as he ages. As for who replaces Machado this year? I'm not all that worried about it. We can find a way to acquire another third baseman. Whether it be Schoop if he shows he can do it, or a free agent, or someone we get in another trade it doesn't matter. The team isn't good enough to win this year anyway. If we can get a decent young starting pitcher or good prospects for him I would take them.

Also, you're contradicting yourself a bit. He plays a difficult position to fill and plays it well, yet he'd only get a handful of marbles in a trade? We CAN fill his position, right now. Third base is easier to fill. As has been said, we all have first hand knowledge about how careful you should be extending middle infielders into their mid-30s.

Hardy has been able to stay healthy and productive and I don't see his glove going anywhere anytime soon. Another three year deal would be attractive.

You think someone with his limited offensive game will age well?

I think his offensive production could fall off a cliff at a moment's notice.

Just no walks. Pull-happy.

He usually pulls the ball, but when you see Hardy starting to line it into the right center field gap you know he is going to get red hot and hit homers. I just wish he used the whole field more often instead of trying to yack one down the LF line.

Archived