Os have considered extending JJ Hardy.

Greg

He had one last time, didn't he. The contract suggested 3/37.5M assumes a bit of a hometown discount. Hardy is not going to give a discount unless he has some assurances that he won't be traded for a certain amount of time. Yeah, with no no trade clause, he'll probably want his true market value, which considering the Peralta contract, is at least 3/42 if not another year and more money.

No. It was a gentleman's agreement not to trade him for the remainder of the 2011 season. But I believe we would keep him for at least a year of the contract anyway. If the AAV approaches 14 million, I think I would recommend giving him a QO instead.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it's better than 50/50 for both Flaherty and Schoop. Flaherty has made strides in two years and seems ready to seize the job. Schoop is regarded as a future ML regular by the great majority of scouts and there's little doubt the Orioles consider him one. Just because the Orioles haven't pumped out a lot of position prospects is no reason to discount these two.

I think this just marks a fundamental disagreement, so I have to agree to leave it at that. I don't think Flaherty's shown much of anything beyond a tenuous grasp of hitting and a very brief proficiency at second base (he's barely played more than half a season there over those two years you mentioned), and I don't think he has what it takes to be a ML regular. Regarding Schoop, I don't recall the scouting reports being so uniform in their predictions, though I'd defer to the people here who're more "in the know" about those kinds of things than I am. All I know is that he played pretty well for his age last year, but fell out of the top-100 BA prospect rankings prior to last season. Saying that his chances of being a regular MLer are better than a coin flip seems overly optimistic to me, though he's still quite young and could certainly pan out.

EDIT: I also forgot to note that Schoop has played 433 games in the minors between SS and 2B, but only 24 at 3B. So we'd actually be banking on both capability at the plate AND proficiency at a different position.

You really think he would sign for that. Peralta, who most consider an inferior player, got 4/53M. I don't see Hardy doing a 3/32.

As for the no trade clause there may have been a gentleman's agreement but there looks like there was a clause.

Yeah. We.. We would have to see if three years of security would make everything all right. With Hardy, you have a guy who was half the way out. You are probably right. I am probably just dreaming. Like I said, anything approaching a 14 million AAV, I just play him, and attach a pick to him.

Your scenario is a reason not to discuss an extension with Hardy until after we see how 2014 goes. Of course, if we wait until then it decreases the chances that Hsrdy would extend at a below market price. So, it's not an easy choice. I wish I had a better handle on what Schoop and Flaherty will turn out to be.

Would have had a better handle on Flaherty if he had started every game last year at 2B and the Orioles kept BRob on the bench or better yet released him.

I ranted about this last year to no avail

I also wanted to see Hardy rested moved to DH, Manny played at SS and Schoop at 3B last September to get a look at the infield of the future.

But the O's deluded themselves into thinking they had a playoff team and failed to get a handle on 2014 and beyond.

But the O's deluded themselves into thinking they had a playoff team and failed to get a handle on 2014 and beyond.

You need to stop with this tired trope. On Sept. 18, the Orioles were 11 games over .500 and ONE game out of a playoff spot. With less than two weeks to play.

The O's were clearly a playoff contender. If you think that the O's never had a playoff-caliber team because they didn't make the postseason, you're the one deluding yourself.

Archived