Roberts DH

Owen21

I randomly selected Travis Richard Adair. I await you r argument as to why he would be better than Roberts.

He may be able to play 80 percent of the games this season? His dad is a cool guy? He could POSSIBLY improve, as opposed to the other guy. Unless the other guy goes to Boston, NY, or Toronto. Then he could improve to PED levels of achievement. But even then, probably not.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has actually played 506 games in the last 5 years if you wanna be technical

You are right 200 in his last four years. (191 to be exact)

Technically 375 (350 to be exact) in his last five. I think you may have counted six. But you get my drift anyway. Even if my math was sloppy and exaggerated.

You are right 200 in his last four years. (191 to be exact)

Technically 375 (350 to be exact) in his last five. I think you may have counted six. But you get my drift anyway. Even if my math was sloppy and exaggerated.

So in other words you are saying he is not as worn down? :rofl:

So in other words you are saying he is not as worn down? :rofl:

I am saying that for 40 million dollars, the Orioles got a total of 191 games of less than healthy work from him. Time to move on just on GP if you will. Can I be more clear? ;) I will never change my mind here. Time for turning over a new leaf. For both parties.

I am saying that for 40 million dollars, the Orioles got a total of 191 games of less than healthy work from him. Time to move on just on GP if you will. Can I be more clear? ;) I will never change my mind here. Time for turning over a new leaf. For both parties.

Don't get upset with me Weams. A little brevity to start the day is always a good thing.

Who in their right mind would think that Mr Entitlement would want to come back to the Orioles in anything other than a full-time second base job? Who in their right mind would want to give Roberts back to Buck so he can play him everyday again? Who in their right mind thinks Roberts is really a 18 home runs a year player? On September 22nd last year, Roberts line stood at .239/.307/.357/.664 with five home runs and 11 doubles. He hit three homers and a double over his last six games while putting up a 333/.357/.704/1.061 to end the year with decent power numbers. Somehow, that equates to a guy who will hit 18 home runs a year. My guess is Roberts is a lot closer to the .664 player he was over the 269 PAs he put up in those 71 games before the tear at the end of the year.

I'd rather run out a Henry Urrutia/Valencia DH platoon every day of the week and twice on Sunday than ever consider Brian Roberts for the DH role. On top of it, as much as I respect Buck, I'm not giving him any opportunity to play one of his cagey vets every day because they've "earned it."

Who in their right mind would think that Mr Entitlement would want to come back to the Orioles in anything other than a full-time second base job? Who in their right mind would want to give Roberts back to Buck so he can play him everyday again? Who in their right mind thinks Roberts is really a 18 home runs a year player? On September 22nd last year, Roberts line stood at .239/.307/.357/.664 with five home runs and 11 doubles. He hit three homers and a double over his last six games while putting up a 333/.357/.704/1.061 to end the year with decent power numbers. Somehow, that equates to a guy who will hit 18 home runs a year. My guess is Roberts is a lot closer to the .664 player he was over the 269 PAs he put up in those 71 games before the tear at the end of the year.

I'd rather run out a Henry Urrutia/Valencia DH platoon every day of the week and twice on Sunday than ever consider Brian Roberts for the DH role. On top of it, as much as I respect Buck, I'm not giving him any opportunity to play one of his cagey vets every day because they've "earned it."

You can take all those numbers you're calling terrible that Roberts put up last year on a comeback from a torn hamstring, and then u can look at the numbers that Flaherty put up and they are worse, and he was healthy all year. And yet somehow everyone wants him to be our starting 2B. It makes NO sense. You can go on and on about how Roberts tore it up at the end to get his stats where they were. But you can say the same for Flaherty. He was absolutlely atrocious before he hit a little hot streak in the middle of the year.

You can take all those numbers you're calling terrible that Roberts put up last year on a comeback from a torn hamstring, and then u can look at the numbers that Flaherty put up and they are worse, and he was healthy all year. And yet somehow everyone wants him to be our starting 2B. It makes NO sense. You can go on and on about how Roberts tore it up at the end to get his stats where they were. But you can say the same for Flaherty. He was absolutlely atrocious before he hit a little hot streak in the middle of the year.

And by atrocious, i mean he was worse than Roberts in the 17 games he played in 2012

I agree with you in principle about BRob, but that said, I don't think anybody is "happy" with Flaherty being the everyday second baseman. I see Flaherty as another Pie type player, where the organization and fans are giving him chance after chance after chance, although his results on the field do not dictate him having all these chances.

Meanwhile, Reimold gets crucified because of his injuries, but his on field performance when healthy has been pretty good.

As for Roberts, I agree with Tony that I don't particularly trust Buck to use Brian correctly. That said, I saw enough from him last year that I personally would sign him to a $2 million guaranteed deal, with a $1 million incentive for every 40 games played. If he played 160 of the 162 games, he'd be paid $6 million, but that would probably mean he had a fairly productive year if he played that many games.

For the full season, Roberts posted a .704 OPS, while Flaherty posted a .683. Not much difference there. So, let's look at a few other factors.

Who is the superior defender? Flaherty

Which player's injury history suggests he will miss a significant number of games? Roberts

Who stands to be of more value over time, the 28 year old Flaherty or the 36 year old Roberts? Flaherty

Who will cost less? Flaherty

Which player adds more value by being able to play more positions well? Flaherty

I really don't see a basis for an argument supporting Roberts, other than he's been an Oriole for a long time.

One question for Weams, Tony, Drungo, and others who are pretty much dead set against signing Roberts.

Based on the moves that Duke has signed thus far this offseason, wouldn't having Roberts on the roster be better than the "nothing" that it appears we are going to end up with?

I agree with you guys that I'd rather have a real left handed DH, a real left fielder, a real second baseman, etc, but what we ALL want doesn't appear to be in Duke's budget. So to that end, I'd take BRob over nothing.

One question for Weams, Tony, Drungo, and others who are pretty much dead set against signing Roberts.

Based on the moves that Duke has signed thus far this offseason, wouldn't having Roberts on the roster be better than the "nothing" that it appears we are going to end up with?

I agree with you guys that I'd rather have a real left handed DH, a real left fielder, a real second baseman, etc, but what we ALL want doesn't appear to be in Duke's budget. So to that end, I'd take BRob over nothing.

No. We already have better. Signing Roberts is going backwards. BRob is less than nothing.

For the full season, Roberts posted a .704 OPS, while Flaherty posted a .683. Not much difference there. So, let's look at a few other factors.

Who is the superior defender? Flaherty

Which player's injury history suggests he will miss a significant number of games? Roberts

Who stands to be of more value over time, the 28 year old Flaherty or the 36 year old Roberts? Flaherty

Who will cost less? Flaherty

Which player adds more value by being able to play more positions well? Flaherty

I really don't see a basis for an argument supporting Roberts, other than he's been an Oriole for a long time.

Those are good points, and I'm not suggesting that Roberts come back and play 3 more years, but i agree with Dipper that he can be useful this year. I do not see him being a DH, at least not the majority of the time. I just cant understand the theory in some ppl's eyes that Roberts is of no value at all to the club. Flaherty is def useful and i think should remain the utility player that can spot everyone now and then. I don't see him being productive enough offensively to be a full time player(he is 28 as you stated and still does not have a full time job). So really I'd either give Roberts a shot or go out and try to sign someone that we know will make an impact at 2B. And i do not believe Weeks is the answer

Archived