Per the Sun: "Orioles most inactive team..."

MemorialStadKid

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah maybe those posts get old. But so do constant posts like this one whining about posts like that.

The bottom line is that nearly every the in the major leagues has made moves that attempt to address their weaknesses EXCEPT the Orioles. And a lot of fans find that extremely frustrating. Maybe some of those teams' attempts at filling holes were not smart or ill-conceived. That fact does absolutely nothing to diminish our frustration at a front office that has so far done nothing to even try to address our biggest needs.

I'll add the usual disclaimer to the end of my post that if we go out and get Garza and Choo I will gladly come back to this thread and eat some serious crow. I believe the likelihood of that happening is about the same as me winding up on bed within Minka Kelly tonight but I will be glad to come back and eat my words if either happens.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Garza and Choo. Why aren't we serious contenders for either? Or both? They are exactly the kind of players the O's should be gunning for, very seriously. They're not "elite" free agents. It's not like you're going to have to fork over Pujols money for Choo, or Greinke money for Garza. If those players are "out of our range," then we seriously could just bag about 90% of the hot-stove talk on the OH. Because if you go much further down the food chain, you're talking about adding replacement-level players, for the most part. Yawn.

...if the Orioles had been able to sign Bartolo Colon, who agreed to a two-year, $20 million deal with the Mets. He's definitely one that got away at the Winter Meetings. I sensed the disappointment as word spread of Colon's agreement with the Mets...

Roch

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/12/still-waiting-for-news.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

...if the Orioles had been able to sign Bartolo Colon, who agreed to a two-year, $20 million deal with the Mets. He's definitely one that got away at the Winter Meetings. I sensed the disappointment as word spread of Colon's agreement with the Mets...

Roch

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/12/still-waiting-for-news.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Burnett and Arroyo are the most similar in terms of experience and career stage. Hope the O's can land one of them.

Burnett and Arroyo are the most similar in terms of experience and career stage. Hope the O's can land one of them.

I think Burnett is retired. I think Arroyo gets more than two years. If he is willing to work for two and a option, I am all for that. I disliked the idea of chasing Colon.

Roch

Only in Birdland does a 41 year old pitcher get referred to as "the one that got away". SMH.

What bothers the crap out of me is that such an obvious solution is ignored in favor of lore and traditionalism.

Frankly there are a lot of highly-paid, highly-touted people that are making dumb decisions in this area. I don't worship the baseball establishment but the fact is that they are making decisions I disagree with. So either a) I am right and people making 100 times what I make are idiots or b) due to a mix of union-greasing and romanticism they are right, and I don't have any idea why. I don't know why, man! I don't know why Jim Johnson should be paid any huge amount of money. I don't know why Grant Balfour should get a two year deal. And it bothers me that I don't know, because if it REALLY WAS a simple decision, if Mike Wright could just get a major league job and that would be that, that everyone would do it. I feel like I am saying "gravitational attraction is dominated by the larger mass" and GMs everywhere are saying "well have you considered intelligent falling?" I don't care if they have professional clout, this is such a ridiculous tradition and it deserves criticism.

Put money anywhere... but not into the bullpen!!!!!!!!

Beautiful post, I almost shed a tear.

Archived