Morales may not have job until after the June Draft

weams

My point was that he probably has no interest in taking a discounted deal right now. Lohse didn't sign until March and, unless he seriously lowers his demands/expectations, I see Morales probably going the same route. Do you really wanna wait that long hoping this team will fill a need? And if his number actually falls down low enough that's it's worth us giving up a pick, don't you think other teams would be in on him too? Probably willing to meet/beat our offer?

I don't see anything in regards to this teams' history in negotiating w/ FA's that suggests we could get this done without overpaying ... and if we do overpay + give up a pick?

I don't think this board (and the fan base in general) will have the reaction you think it will.

I agree with you in this thread ;)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My point was that he probably has no interest in taking a discounted deal right now. Lohse didn't sign until March and, unless he seriously lowers his demands/expectations, I see Morales probably going the same route. Do you really wanna wait that long hoping this team will fill a need? And if his number actually falls down low enough that's it's worth us giving up a pick, don't you think other teams would be in on him too? Probably willing to meet/beat our offer?

I don't see anything in regards to this teams' history in negotiating w/ FA's that suggests we could get this done without overpaying ... and if we do overpay + give up a pick?

I don't think this board (and the fan base in general) will have the reaction you think it will.

He might not want to sign right now but his situation is different from Lohse. Lohse is a starting pitcher and 30 teams need those. Morales being a DH limits his options to 15 spots, not 150. Boston has Ortiz, KC has Butler, etc, etc.

All I am saying is if the Orioles determine what his worth is without a pick and then could get him to sign a team friendly contract because he has no leverage at all, would it be worth the pick? Boston would take Drew back but Seattle might have little or no interest. I think Orioles or not this is an interesting situation to follow. A lot of times the team that offers the pick would gladly take the player back but here maybe not. Teams will not be bidding like they would for a normal FA.

The fans may not like getting Morales because of the pick but I think the Orioles should monitor the situation closely to see if it makes any sense.

Seattle should just get creative and sign him and then trade him. If they locked him up for 3/30 he then would become much more attractive to teams because of the pick. This happens all the time in the NBA.
And have Selig block the trade.

Which is why they won't do that because Bud already told everyone that he will preserve the integrity of draft pick compensation.

This is not the NBA nor is there a salary cap like the Not For Long and NBA have going for them.

• 4 months later...

1. Orioles. Baltimore signed top free agents Ubaldo Jimenez and Nelson Cruz late, made a run at Santana and is thought to have had its eye on Morales as recently as the start of the season. It's possible they aborted their talks thanks to Delmon Young's hot start, but Young has cooled a bit (he's down to .306) and combined with David Lough, the combo is hitting .221 together, as the defensively-strong Lough has struggled at the plate, with a six-for-41 start in Baltimore. They clearly have some money socked away, and are going for it. The Orioles already have lost their first- and second-round picks, so they only stand to lose a third-rounder if they sign Morales now.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24537383/morales-seen-as-increasingly-likely-to-wait-to-sign-until-after-draft

Young has an opt out June 1 right? Why not wait for after the draft and sign Morales.

Young's opt out is meaningless now because that was if he was still in the minors. He's have to be clear every team in the MLB and I don't see that happening. If Morales has waited this long I'm sure he'll just wait till June 1st. Who the heck knows what he wants.

1. Orioles. Baltimore signed top free agents Ubaldo Jimenez and Nelson Cruz late, made a run at Santana and is thought to have had its eye on Morales as recently as the start of the season. It's possible they aborted their talks thanks to Delmon Young's hot start, but Young has cooled a bit (he's down to .306) and combined with David Lough, the combo is hitting .221 together, as the defensively-strong Lough has struggled at the plate, with a six-for-41 start in Baltimore. They clearly have some money socked away, and are going for it. The Orioles already have lost their first- and second-round picks, so they only stand to lose a third-rounder if they sign Morales now.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24537383/morales-seen-as-increasingly-likely-to-wait-to-sign-until-after-draft

Also in there it said the O's have been believed to have serious talks with him as recently as the past few weeks.

Archived