Angelos Vent Thread

sportsfan8703

Instead of having Angelos and money questions take over every single thread about an O's move let's just talk about it here. We're all pretty well informed O's fans and I'm interested in hearing things I didn't know/ didn't understand. Start from the basics with the MASN money and the extra 25 million in national money and go from there. I'm just trying to here all sides and opinions. So have at it. All opinions welcome that are within board rules.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Screwing over Mussina is probably his worst move. The budgeting of the last half-decade or so I can't really take issue with. The Orioles have had money to spend and have blown it on middle relief and all kinds of garbage; it's usually more difficult to win with a lower budget but it's not as much of a slam dunk as you guys claim. All of the time, guys play because of their contracts, not because they can play up to them. Being a 2 WAR player should get you playing time, not being paid to be a 2 WAR player (or worse!) So if we spent money and used it on 7 year deals I don't know if we'd really be better off.

I don't see any obvious sign he's directly interfering, which is where he gets into the most trouble. If you think not taking on Kemp's contract is directly interfering, maybe you just want to see an injured man flail around in the outfield into his 30s for 8 figures a year.

Instead of having Angelos and money questions take over every single thread about an O's move let's just talk about it here. We're all pretty well informed O's fans and I'm interested in hearing things I didn't know/ didn't understand. Start from the basics with the MASN money and the extra 25 million in national money and go from there. I'm just trying to here all sides and opinions. So have at it. All opinions welcome that are within board rules.

Why not do it in the rant section?

Screwing over Mussina is probably his worst move. The budgeting of the last half-decade or so I can't really take issue with. The Orioles have had money to spend and have blown it on middle relief and all kinds of garbage; it's usually more difficult to win with a lower budget but it's not as much of a slam dunk as you guys claim. All of the time, guys play because of their contracts, not because they can play up to them. Being a 2 WAR player should get you playing time, not being paid to be a 2 WAR player (or worse!) So if we spent money and used it on 7 year deals I don't know if we'd really be better off.

I don't see any obvious sign he's directly interfering, which is where he gets into the most trouble. If you think not taking on Kemp's contract is directly interfering, maybe you just want to see an injured man flail around in the outfield into his 30s for 8 figures a year.

Agree 100% but how did he screw over Moose? They offered a 5/60 deal. Yankees offered 6/88.5. Yeah the O's cheated him on his first FA years in 2007-2000.. But they were offering good numbers after 2000. Yankees did full court press on him. So it wasn't a surprise he was leaving. But he should have resisted temptation.

Most 85 year olds have issues dropping their trousers at the john. I can't imagine he is THAT involved and meddling at his age. What's funny is all the times he has ponyed up big money only to have it blow up in his face. Belle, Tejada, Roberts, Markakis and so forth.

I have one question for Uncle Scrooo err Mr Angelos.

What do you intend to do with the additional 25 Million that each team is getting and will continue to get through 2021 through the new MLB - TV rights deal.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121002&content_id=39362362&c_id=mlb

Major League Baseball's national television landscape is set through 2021.

MLB on Tuesday announced an eight-year national media rights agreements with FOX and TBS, and combined with the recently announced ESPN deal, the three contracts will deliver a combined $12.4 billion -- more than a 100-percent increase in annual rights fees to MLB over the current arrangements.

Now if I am reading this correctly the rights fees increased by more than 100%. So that means the Orioles are now getting in the neighborhood of 50 MILLION dollars in rights fees from MLB.

Are you really that greedy Uncle Scrooge?

Archived