Ugh. Are we going to have to blow it up?

xKHx

I agree, but that is the reason that you need to make a move for a starter so that IF one of them doesn't pan out, you are still able to compete.

Standing pat is just plain incompetent.

Actually, it is not incompetent. It is a viable strategy. Just not the one I would recommend. But sometimes nothing is a real cool hand.

Like when we did not sign Josh Hamilton. Like when we did not trade Adam, or Chris Tillman, or Chris Davis. And I could go on.

Everything changes everything.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, it is not incompetent. It is a viable strategy. Just not the one I would recommend. But sometimes nothing is a real cool hand.

Like when we did not sign Josh Hamilton. Like when we did not trade Adam, or Chris Tillman, or Chris Davis. And I could go on.

Everything changes everything.

Well, IMO, that "viable strategy", will land us in 4th place and out of it by early July.

While some moves are better not to be made, NO moves, when your team is worse then the year before, is incompetence.

Well, IMO, that "viable strategy", will land us in 4th place and out of it by early July.

While some moves are better not to be made, NO moves, when your team is worse then the year before, is incompetence.

I believe that our team is as good as it was last year. If not better. We have Norris and lost Johnson. And Our pitching is a bit more mature.

We lost Nate, but we have Henry and Pequero. I like the upside of those two.

We have Webb.

A viable strategy is to make moves in season. Not that I recommend that. It's done all the time.

I believe that our team is as good as it was last year. If not better. We have Norris and lost Johnson. And Our pitching is a bit more mature.

We lost Nate, but we have Henry and Pequero. I like the upside of those two.

We have Webb.

A viable strategy is to make moves in season. Not that I recommend that. It's done all the time.

Considering the amount of time we had Feldman and keep in mind I didn't like him, he is better than Norris. At least, what Norris showed. - Worse

Pitching is more mature? I would buy that if our starters were 22, but they aren't.

I didn't love McLouth and I do like Urrutia's upside, but better than McLouth this year? Not likely. Peguero can't be much as bad as San Fran needed offense the last few years. His OBP has been just plain bad at every level. He is just another rotten apple at the bottom of the dumpster Dan was currently investigating. - Worse

As bad as Johnson was in spurts, my bet is Hunter/Norris won't be any better and probably worse. - Worse

Trading during the season often results in giving up more for less.

This off-season has been a joke and my thoughts about DD have gotten lower, if that was possible.

All that said, I hope he finds a way to get us a good starter, but I sure ain't holding my breath.

I don't why people assume we are standing pat. Minimum need is to upgrade LF from a .706 OPS, DH from .704 OPS, add a SP who can give us innings until Gausman can make the rotation, and some sort of a CL option. With 18 M to spend on that I like our chances.

I'd have to say that the signs are not good.

1) PA is holding back the 27M in TV money and apparently putting it in his pocket.

2) Boras let it be known at the Winter Meeting that he is not negotiating with DD on Davis and Wieters. He will talk to PA. PA waits until the last minute for decisions. His MO seems to be if you make no decision, the decision will makes itself. This is a well know management strategy. If that is used with Davis and Wieters, they stay two years, become FA and the O's get two draft choices. Boras trying to get PA to spend big money adds up to a no decision.

3) I don't know if DD can convince PA to trade Davis and Wieters. But if he does I don't have a lot of faith in DD's ability to get the best value for them. The time on the extension discussion causes me concern. Feb is the time DD has set for those discussion. So by March the O's know where they stand with Boras. Can they get best value for Davis and Wieters in a trade at that point? Or was that time Oct-Jan? Before clubs set their rosters.

On-going thinking - The signs about the near future of the O's doesn't look good to me. Boras negotiating with PA over big money doesn't sound like a decision gets made. It will put the whole team on hold because two of the biggest players are in limbo.

Bottom line - PA does not spend big money. He hoards it.

Please tell me I am wrong.

Archived