Are we giving Urrutia a fair shake?

25 Nuggets

First off a good runner is going to end up with more hits then a poor runner.

Secondly, if CPT Jetes was a mediocre left fielder who couldn't run, rather then a mediocre SS who could run he wouldn't be in the running for the HoF. An 828 OPS is quite good for a middle infielder, but for a corner outfielder...(of course a wheelless Jeter wouldn't have an 828 OPS)

Can't disagree. However, we don't know what Urrutia is capable of and we may never. Speed didn't seem to affect his batting average in the minor leagues. I think Henry will hit some homers, as he gains experience.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want to see the guy play everyday at AAA. I think he needs more seasoning myself. I don't want a guy that raw being handed a job because we have no one better for it. He needs to work on his defense and the minors is the place to do it.

This........

A few months a AAA will tell a lot about whether Henry is ready.

Since I've been ranting about the O's LF/DH situation a lot on this board lately, I should make one thing clear: I'm happy to have Urrutia in the organization, and I think there's a chance that he could be a decent platoon player at DH or LF as soon as this season.

That said, I'm NOT happy that the O's appear to be COUNTING ON Urrutia for 400 productive at bats in the majors this season. Urrutia had a chance to produce for the O's last season, and he didn't do much. He's hit in the minors, but you'd expect that from a 26 year old. Keep in mind that the AFL is a hitters league. Lots of people discover that they have power in the high desert air, and Urrutia wasn't as impressive as Michael Ohlman in the AFL.

A contending team should have stronger options heading into the season at all nine lineup spots (and all five rotation slots). The right place for someone like Henry Urrutia is on the bench or at AAA, waiting for the chance that will inevitably come when someone ahead of him gets hurt.

Just giving my scouting opinion of him. I hope he makes the adjustments and does well, but the game has changed a lot since the Rod Carew days. BTW, Rod Carew had 1,048 big league hits by the time he was Urrutia's age.

Well I am sure if he wasn't allowed in the United States until he was 26 he wouldn't have 1048 hits by he the time he turned 27. Rod didn't hit all that well his first year in the bigs though. I didn't say he would be Rod Carew I am just stating you can be Hall of Fame Offensive Productive without having a lot of power. We don't need hall of fame performance out of Hank. We just just need 2 WAR a year and we would be delighted.

Since I've been ranting about the O's LF/DH situation a lot on this board lately, I should make one thing clear: I'm happy to have Urrutia in the organization, and I think there's a chance that he could be a decent platoon player at DH or LF as soon as this season.

That said, I'm NOT happy that the O's appear to be COUNTING ON Urrutia for 400 productive at bats in the majors this season. Urrutia had a chance to produce for the O's last season, and he didn't do much. He's hit in the minors, but you'd expect that from a 26 year old. Keep in mind that the AFL is a hitters league. Lots of people discover that they have power in the high desert air, and Urrutia wasn't as impressive as Michael Ohlman in the AFL.

A contending team should have stronger options heading into the season at all nine lineup spots (and all five rotation slots). The right place for someone like Henry Urrutia is on the bench or at AAA, waiting for the chance that will inevitably come when someone ahead of him gets hurt.

Dude, he had 58 at bats lol

I agree that a contending team probably wouldn't have more than 1 "Rookie" playing in their starting lineup. But, this is BIRDLAND!

See myself I would be perfectly fine with a Urrutia/ Peguero or Pearce/Reimold platoon in LF if we added a couple starting pitchers, but that is looking less likely to happen by the day. I think Urrutia could be a gem in the waiting , and believe me I have already been in plenty arguments at the bar about my opinion. I think the guy has a real talent , let's give the dude a shot and find out. What do we have to loose ???

Archived