Are we giving Urrutia a fair shake?

25 Nuggets

Urrutia is very intriguing to me. I'm not really comfortable relying him as Plan A to be our LF or DH vs. RHP, but he could turn out to be really good. I share all of Tony's concerns about Urrutia's inside-out approach in his limited major league stint last year, but I always keep in mind Urrutia's curcumstances: he didn't play at all in 2011 or 2012, he got a late start in 2013, and he jumped through AA and AAA rather quickly to get to the majors. Urrutia was in Haiti for most of the time between September 2011 and April 2013, not really able to train properly. Despite all that, he looked pretty credible at the plate in the majors, and way more than credible in the minors and in the AFL. Give him a winter of eating right and getting some conditioning advice, and put him through major league spring training with some intensive top-level coaching, and you could have a very solid player.

BA's John Manuel said the following: "I'm doing the Orioles top 30 for the first time this year and he will contribute to that list prominently. I think he's a solid 4th outfielder at worst and has some good version of Nick Markakis upside at least." http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2013-international-league-top-20-prospects-chat/ That sounds pretty useful to me.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If PA doesn't give us the $$$ we have to count on things like Fred's knowledge.

That's true, and people are saying good things about him in the fall league. If he was younger, I'd have hope for him. Unfortunately, what sticks out to me is not seeing him hitting even one ball hard when he was with Baltimore - not even a foul ball - and really doing everything below average. But if he proves me wrong, I'll be a happy O's fan.

Urrutia is very intriguing to me. I'm not really comfortable relying him as Plan A to be our LF or DH vs. RHP, but he could turn out to be really good. I share all of Tony's concerns about Urrutia's inside-out approach in his limited major league stint last year, but I always keep in mind Urrutia's curcumstances: he didn't play at all in 2011 or 2012, he got a late start in 2013, and he jumped through AA and AAA rather quickly to get to the majors. Urrutia was in Haiti for most of the time between September 2011 and April 2013, not really able to train properly. Despite all that, he looked pretty credible at the plate in the majors, and way more than credible in the minors and in the AFL. Give him a winter of eating right and getting some conditioning advice, and put him through major league spring training with some intensive top-level coaching, and you could have a very solid player.

BA's John Manuel said the following: "I'm doing the Orioles top 30 for the first time this year and he will contribute to that list prominently. I think he's a solid 4th outfielder at worst and has some good version of Nick Markakis upside at least." http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2013-international-league-top-20-prospects-chat/ That sounds pretty useful to me.

Thanks for posting this because it gives some real perspective. IMO, the fact that he was unable to advance to the major league level after not playing competitively for a couple of seasons speaks volumes. I agree that while it's difficult to count on Urrutia, he could turn out to be a solid player. ( particularly as a hitter.)

Oh? Carew was 6th in the league in batting, and was an All-Star and Rookie of the Year. I'd say that's pretty good for a 21-year old kid.

I guess .292 average and .750 OPS were great numbers in 1967. His line in 1968 isn't very impressive: .273 .312 .347 .659. I guess that is why they lowered the mound.

That's true, and people are saying good things about him in the fall league. If he was younger, I'd have hope for him. Unfortunately, what sticks out to me is not seeing him hitting even one ball hard when he was with Baltimore - not even a foul ball - and really doing everything below average. But if he proves me wrong, I'll be a happy O's fan.
Did you read Frobby's post?

I guess .292 average and .750 OPS were great numbers in 1967. His line in 1968 isn't very impressive: .273 .312 .347 .659. I guess that is why they lowered the mound.

Yeah, there were only four .300 hitters in the AL in 1967, and only one in 1968 (Carl Yastrzmeski, .301). In that context, .273 looks a whole lot better than it does today.

Bob Gibson: 1.12 ERA . That's why they lowered the mound.
Absolutely.

And...

Tiant 1.60

McDowell 1.81

McNally 1.95

McLain 1.96

John 1.98

Bolin 1.99

And, Drysdale throwing 58 straight scoreless innings. Yaz leading the league at .301, barely avoiding the embarassment of not having a single .300 hitter in the league. And on and on.

The problem is his 58 PAs in the majors confirmed the concerns about his approach in the minor leagues. It also opened up concerns over his bat speed and whether he can handle good major league fastballs on the inside of the plate without cheating. I will feel better once I start seeing Urrutia turning on pitches for power, but a slow opposite field singles hitter is not going to cut it in the major leagues.

Now saying that, he appeared to take some steps in the AFL so hopefully it's just a matter of him making some adjustments. It's too early to make a definitive assessment yet, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't see some yellow flags last year.

Urrutia would be a great Plan B option to have in AAA. Let him get off to a good start then see where we are at. He's going to get a significant amount of PA's in 2014 either way. However he should not be Plan A for either LH LF or LH DH. Just for the fact that if the concerns from last year our true then who do we then turn to as a LH bat in the system? Make a trade for a LH guy like Ike Davis or get a vet like Ibanez, Chavez or Scott on a one year deal.

So you don't feel the fact that he hasn't played in 2 years is a consideration? That he may need some time to get up to speed? You think that what you saw last year is it from him?

Seriously? You're acting like this is new information. Obviously I know about his past - just like everyone else here who's been posting for years. I gave my opinion based on the facts and what I saw. Stop asking me if I've considered things. I gave my opinion, and that's it. If you want to ask me more questions, don't.

Archived