Talks stall on trade for Roberts-Suntimes

TheBee

Can 2007 draftees be traded now?

From my post... "For those who don't know what 'PTBNL' means, it stands for Player To Be Named Later. Essentially, IIRC, we would not receive Vitters until August 16th, as we must wait 1 full year from the day he signed to deal for him, hence the PTBNL designation. He's worth the wait."

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Large haul yes...Quality haul? That is a different story.

Roch mentions in his latest blog that Hill would have been in the deal(well he said that in so many words).

I would need to be something like Hill, Pie, Gallagher, Veal, Marmol, Murton and Cedeno/EPat for me to consider it and even then, I am not sure.

In my view the Cubs wouldn't deal Hill or Marmol, however if they decided they needed to, they might move one, but not both. I hope the deal you proposed comes to fruition though. :D

From my post... "For those who don't know what 'PTBNL' means, it stands for Player To Be Named Later. Essentially, IIRC, we would not receive Vitters until August 16th, as we must wait 1 full year from the day he signed to deal for him, hence the PTBNL designation. He's worth the wait."

BTW, I think you have to complete a PTBNL within 6 months, so this deal would have to wait a few weeks.

EPat 2nd

Pie CF

Markakis RF

Huff 1st

Scott LF

Murton DH

Hernandez C

Mora 3rd

Cedeno SS

Payton, Bynum, Gibbons, Quiroz

Have traded Millar

Cabrera

Guthrie

Loewen

Patton

Olson

Marmol

FCabrera

Hoey

Beird

Sarfate

Buress

Aquino

Have traded Walker, and Bradford

Back in 2009:

Ray

Fringe Bullpen Depth:

Rocky Cherry

Jim Johnson

John Leicester

High Minors, 1st Pitching Reserves Up:

Gallagher

Veal

Penn

Liz

Albers

McCrory

Lower Minors, Legit Pitching Prospects:

Erbe

Beato

Spoone

Arrieta

Bascom

Hernandez

Weiters - ML ready with the glove now, up at deadline after RHernandez trade, and 300-400 AB's with a wooden bat.

Reimold - With trade of Huff, Murton goes to 1st.. Scott to DH, Reimold to LF.

Man I cringe when people list Cabrera as the number 1 starter. We could be the first team in history to start off the season walking the first eight batters or so. :D I would rather see Guthrie or Loewen at number one for sure.

AM's denials are too strong for me to believe the accuracy of the original Chicago report. If Angelos did nix it, AM would probably say something to the effect that there are a lot of talks going on and he cannot comment. He wouldn't just come out and say it is "pure fiction." Such a denial risks damaging the credibility of the Cubs because AM doesn't know the source of the story--which could even be Hendry.

This appears to yet again be a badly sourced story regarding trade talks.

Let me also say that I am not sure it is wise to trade both of these guys to one team. Seams to me your odds are better of getting good players spread accross multiple organizations vs. going 7 deep in one organization (though there may have been major leaguers involved in this deal).

Large haul yes...Quality haul? That is a different story.

Roch mentions in his latest blog that Hill would have been in the deal(well he said that in so many words).

I would need to be something like Hill, Pie, Gallagher, Veal, Marmol, Murton and Cedeno/EPat for me to consider it and even then, I am not sure.

I do not mean to attack you in any way, but you recently said in other threads that you thought the Orioles front office had taken too long in these trade negotiations, and yet here you want top choice quality prospects, probably a good potion of the cubs top 10 and a very quality pitcher in Hill. How do you explain the tension between these two stances. On the one hand to get a package such as this from a team would take time, and yet you also think the Orioles front office has spent too much time "spinning its wheels"

BTW, I think you have to complete a PTBNL within 6 months, so this deal would have to wait a few weeks.

Correct, according to Cot's Baseball Contracts. So if Vitters signed August 16th, he can't be traded until February 16th, give or take a few days.

A transaction including a player to be named later must be completed within six months. The player may not be an active Major Leaguer player during the interval between the trade and the date the player is named. As a result, most players to be named later are minor leaguers.

Lets take Vitters out of the equation.. and work back..

Cubs offer Gallagher, EPat, and Murton for Roberts - I know you think that is fair... to me thats a steal.

Cubs offer Pie, Veal, Cedeno, and Marmol for Bedard.. that is pretty fair as well.

Cedeno isn't that great and Veal could be Pennington...Only sure thing in that deal is Marmol and even he has walk problems.

Way too many question marks.

The Cubs are high on potential but low on results(in the majors) and/or "sure things"(as sure as you can get).

End of the day, that is my biggest problem...I am ok with taking risks for BRob..Not so much for Bedard unless the trade is accompanied by 1-2 "sure things".

I find it interesting that all sources from any team we have dealt with this off season is always wrong and what the Warehouse tells us is always right..

Well I believe that sources from other the cubs club house said that Angelos nixed the Galleger, Marshall, Cedeno deal, and yet independent sources have verified that was not in fact the case.

So as far as this is concerned I would have to give the benefit to the O's club house

Has there ever been even a rumor that Vitters would be involved in any trade as a PTBNL or is this just a creation of OH? Seems to me like the latter is more likely.

I know that its been on my mind, and I've mentioned it before, as others have, so it probably is a poster concoction.

There is an outside shot (waaaaay outside) that this Vitters situation is the holdup. If we have to wait until Feb. 16th to make that deal, it would explain the possible hold up in negaotiations.

**Now back to our regularly scheduled and more "realistic" programming** :D

Archived