Talks stall on trade for Roberts-Suntimes

TheBee

I know that its been on my mind, and I've mentioned it before, as others have, so it probably is a poster concoction.

There is an outside shot (waaaaay outside) that this Vitters situation is the holdup. If we have to wait until Feb. 16th to make that deal, it would explain the possible hold up in negaotiations.

**Now back to our regularly scheduled and more "realistic" programming** :D

Couldn't they just make the deal in that case with the PTBNL not formally identified until a later date. Doens't that happen on trades where teams are given a list and choose from that list later in a season?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do not mean to attack you in any way, but you recently said in other threads that you thought the Orioles front office had taken too long in these trade negotiations, and yet here you want top choice quality prospects, probably a good potion of the cubs top 10 and a very quality pitcher in Hill. How do you explain the tension between these two stances. On the one hand to get a package such as this from a team would take time, and yet you also think the Orioles front office has spent too much time "spinning its wheels"

I don't see what one has to do with the other.

Just because these guys are in the Cubs top 10 doesn't mean they are very good prospects and it doesn't mean by any stretch that they are sure things.

One reason I liked the idea of Jones and Clement is because they are high ceiling, "safe" guys. I feel we need that for Bedard.

Hill could qualify as one of these guys but he is going to be 28 in March...Hardly a spring chicken.

I agree about the idea that they are high on potential, and not sure things... guess it bothers me less though.

I don't think Cedeno is the guy that had a 960 OPS in the PCL this past year.. but also don't think he is the guy that had a 610 OPS in the Majors in 2006.. he probably winds up being a 750-800 guy in his prime.. turning 25 first week of Feb..

Veal clearly has command issues... but would be hard to question his stuff.. 130k's in 130IP in Double A this year...

Pie has questions about his approach at the plate, but his defense athleticism, and projected power are never questioned... turning 23......

Let's say that Seattle decides they are not willing to move Jones... but they are willing to do WBal, Triunfel, Tillman, Scherril...... its another trade based on potential...

Yes but personally i prefer their potential over the Cubs guys. I like Pie more than Wlad but not by a lot.

I would try and get Clement in that deal, as opposed to Sherrill or Tillman.

BTW, i would be shocked if Cedeno ever produced an 800 OPS over a full season worth of ab's and I don't think he can do 750 consistently...I think he will be around 700, give or take 20 points, for most of his career.

With good defense, that is a league average guy and if his defense is very good, it is better than league average, so he does have value but I don't see him as a borderline AS every year, in his prime, either.

I just don't see the Cubs being a good fit for Bedard at all. I think we could find a combination of Cubs players for Roberts, but not Bedard.

I really wish there was some inkling that Bedard and Roberts were going to be dealt. The longer this plays out, the more I'm thinking these two guys are going to be here in our opening day lineup in 2008.

I'm really beginning to think that we've got nothing going on with Seattle or Chicago any more.

I know that its been on my mind, and I've mentioned it before, as others have, so it probably is a poster concoction.

There is an outside shot (waaaaay outside) that this Vitters situation is the holdup. If we have to wait until Feb. 16th to make that deal, it would explain the possible hold up in negaotiations.

**Now back to our regularly scheduled and more "realistic" programming** :D

Since I am the guy who has said "Cubs in the end" all along, I am starting to feel it again. If we are offered Pie, Hill, Gallagher, Murton, Cedeno, EPat and PTBNL (Vitters) in exchange for Bedard, Roberts and Payton....Perfect! I love the deal and would assume that it will be done. I still see the Cubs as a perfect match for us. Risk? certainly. Upside? Oh, yeah. Fill positions of need? Big time. The rebuild would be on. Pie is a risk offensively, but he is an absolute stud defensively. Much better than CPat, and CPat is good. We can afford to have the patience for his bat while he plays GG defense every day. Our OF defense would be sick.

I might be inclined to give Murton a crash course in 1st base. I think he has the bat to represent as a first baseman. EPat has the bat, we would need to be patient with his glove work....But again, we can afford to be patient with him. To me Cedeno is the biggest risk, but what the heck. If any team can afford to give him an honest shot it is us. And Vitters, the real Cherry on the deal. This guy is gonna hit, and we could place him on our prospect list right next to Weiters.

Did I mention the Pitchers? OMG, Rich Hill is just a step or two below Bedard. Gallagher is good looking RH prospect who can actually throw strikes. I am sorry folks, but if you don't think this is a good deal for the Orioles then....Do not ***** if Bedard and BRob don't get traded.

BTW, how in the world can these guys not come up with a trade for BRob?

Gallagher seems to be a constant and it is unlikely Hill, Marmol or Pie will be involved.

You mean to tell me, out of every other player we have discussed on here, that we can't come up with 2 other guys that would satisfy both teams?

Gallagher seems to be a constant and it is unlikely Hill, Marmol or Pie will be involved.

You mean to tell me, out of every other player we have discussed on here, that we can't come up with 2 other guys that would satisfy both teams?

SG I am as frustrated as you are. I really don't get it. They want Roberts, clearly. They have several pieces that we need. What is the hold up? I really suspect the hold up is that the Cubs really want Bedard as well. And AM has been out trying to fleece Seattle, Cinci and who knows who else. The Cubs are betting he can't get it done. And I think they are right. That is why I say it is the Cubs in the end.

I find it interesting that all sources from any team we have dealt with this off season is always wrong and what the Warehouse tells us is always right..

I find it interesting that when Duquette was in charge everything was great in the Warehouse and since he has left everything isn't.

I agree with this. The two sides should be able to get something done. It seems both sides need to give a little more.

I think it is the Orioles more than the Cubs.

I find it hard to believe that the Cubs would turn down Gallagher, Murton and EPat/Cedeno.

I just don't see it...I don't care if I know what is being said or not, it just isn't logical that the Cubs would turn down that trade unless they really don't want Roberts, in which case all of this has been a big lie.

I think it is the Orioles trying to pawn off someone like Payton on them without taking on a contract or paying part of the deal or we are insisting on one of Hill, Marmol or Pie to be in the deal.

I find it funny that the author has an anonymous source who knows that Angelos nixed a trade but doesn't know even one person involved in the trade. I really like how he says an O's source says there was no 7 for 2 trade and said talks were still going. Uh...and O's source? It was Andy Freakin' MacPhail.

BTW, something that hasn't really been mentioned is this whole Byrd/Murton stuff.

To me, it could mean 3 things:

1) The Cubs just like Byrd as a 4th OFer more than Murton since he can play CF.

2) The Cubs are getting Byrd so that they deal Pie for BRob.

3) The Cubs are getting Byrd so that Pie can be dealt in a big trade for Bedard and Roberts.

I think #1 is the most likely but the other 2 may have some steam behind them.

I think it is the Orioles more than the Cubs.

I find it hard to believe that the Cubs would turn down Gallagher, Murton and EPat/Cedeno.

I just don't see it...I don't care if I know what is being said or not, it just isn't logical that the Cubs would turn down that trade unless they really don't want Roberts, in which case all of this has been a big lie.

I think it is the Orioles trying to pawn off someone like Payton on them without taking on a contract or paying part of the deal or we are insisting on one of Hill, Marmol or Pie to be in the deal.

Yup...I like that deal. I like Gallagher, Murton, and EPat.

I think most Cub fans would probably like that trade as well. I just don't understand the hold up in all of this.

Again...I'm getting the feeling that we're basically done. I think we may make a few small moves of little significance and that's about it.

Yup...I like that deal. I like Gallagher, Murton, and EPat.

I think most Cub fans would probably like that trade as well. I just don't understand the hold up in all of this.

Again...I'm getting the feeling that we're basically done. I think we may make a few small moves of little significance and that's about it.

Yea, it seems to me that AM is willing to deal BRob and Bedard only if some team really overpays. If that is the case, i don't even know why he is bothering.

Maybe this is what the whole PA nixing the deal stuff is all about...While he hasn't nixed it, perhaps he said to AM you can only trade Roberts if some team really overpays for him?

Archived