• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/748982,CST-SPT-cub19.article

Talks stall on trade for Roberts

NO DEAL | Source says Orioles' Angelos nixed 7-for-2 swap for infielder, Bedard

January 19, 2008

BY GORDON WITTENMYER gwittenmyer@suntimes.com

With less than four weeks left before pitchers and catchers report to camp, the Cubs are still pushing hard to add players, but their long-running efforts to make a deal with the Baltimore Orioles may have hit a dead end.

According to a Cubs source, Orioles owner Peter Angelos killed a 7-for-2 trade this week that would have sent second baseman Brian Roberts, an Angelos favorite, and left-handed pitcher Erik Bedard to the Cubs.

Cubs manager Lou Piniella said Friday he no longer thinks the Cubs will be able to add an infielder via trade before spring training.

Late Friday night, an Orioles source said there was no 7-for-2 deal and downplayed the level of talks between the teams.

Whatever went down between the teams this week, it's clear the Cubs' thinking has changed on the imminence of acquiring the speedy Roberts, a switch-hitter whom many in the organization believe could redefine the top of the Cubs' order.

Cubs manager Lou Piniella said Friday he no longer thinks the Cubs will be able to add an infielder via trade before spring training. He talked about not being left-handed enough in his lineup this season.

''I don't think we're going to do anything, to be honest with you,'' he said when asked about trading for an infielder. ''If we do, it'll be in the outfield. ... It would be a right-handed bat to help out in center field. I would think that's probably a possibility, as opposed to the other things you all have been hearing about.''

One club source confirmed that possibility would be Texas Rangers outfielder Marlon Byrd, who avoided arbitration this week by agreeing to a one-year, $1.8 million contract.

If this is true,I am happy!:002_shappy:

Cubs manager Lou Piniella said Friday he no longer thinks the Cubs will be able to add an infielder via trade before spring training. He talked about not being left-handed enough in his lineup this season.

''I don't think we're going to do anything, to be honest with you,'' he said when asked about trading for an infielder. ''If we do, it'll be in the outfield. ... It would be a right-handed bat to help out in center field. I would think that's probably a possibility, as opposed to the other things you all have been hearing about.''

One club source confirmed that possibility would be Texas Rangers outfielder Marlon Byrd, who avoided arbitration this week by agreeing to a one-year, $1.8 million contract.

This is the Cubs way of telling the Orioles they don't need our deal.

I think we could have done more over the past 7 months than we have...

I would absolutely agree with this. I'm certainly not happy since we still have Huff, Millar, Payton, and Gibbons still on this roster.

The Roberts and Bedard non-moves are puzzling as well. If we keep these guys around, I'll get the feeling its more of the same old nonsense of not competing, but not rebuilding.

Roberts and Bedard NEED to be traded. This team needs a fresh start with young players and fresh ideas. The Tejada trade was a nice start. Now Andy needs to finish the job.

FYI...the Weiters deal was cut with Boras by Flanny/Duq and Jordan before he was even drafted. It took AM until the last minute to get him signed. Also thr front office wanted Perlozzo removed a month before it happened. PGA gave hom a 30 day stay (which Sonny76 predicted to the day I believe). He did sign his interm manager after being turned down by his first choice. Just like he was turned down by his first choice for his top assistant.

McPhail saved Angelos like 5-6 million dollars in the process...

Guest rochester
I would absolutely agree with this. I'm certainly not happy since we still have Huff, Millar, Payton, and Gibbons still on this roster.

The Roberts and Bedard non-moves are puzzling as well. If we keep these guys around, I'll get the feeling its more of the same old nonsense of not competing, but not rebuilding.

Roberts and Bedard NEED to be traded. This team needs a fresh start with young players and fresh ideas. The Tejada trade was a nice start. Now Andy needs to finish the job.

I agree as well... am extremely frustrated..but as the eternal optimist..at least the Tejada trade happened, we do not have Duq and Flanny signing 3 of the 4 above (Huff/Payton) or resigning (Millar). We also do not see this FO spending $40+ on the league's worst bullpen.

AM is frustrating the heck out of me but I'd rather see nothing than see the incompetence and hole "others" put us in....

GO back and read the threads....BTW, Callis, Jordan, belkast, BB and the local papers were saying it wasn't likely to get done.

Yep. And my point was that no one had any information. Just because you jumped to conclusions WITH others means little, SG.

The information out there was bad. That's my point. You're doubling back, now. First, you said you doubted briefly but ultimately thought it would get done. Now you're saying that everyone you respect didn't think it would get done and so it was okay for you to think the same.

I thought it would get done because it didn't make any sense for it not to. And I continued to think this up until the signing occurred.

If you don't think my refutations are intelligent, SG, it's because they go over your head. My refutations are grounded, rational, and - as you've proven - pretty much irrefutable.

Totally not ture...I've given AM lots of credit for the Tejada and Trachsel deals he's made.

I can't think of anything else besides that which is worthy of praise...

Good, so you gave credit for the two deals done. I appreciate that. However, if you truly look at the situation, no matter what was done last off-season you defended nearly every move (and I was right there with you, doh!). Starting with the Weiters thing, you have nearly always criticized MacPhail, including the comparison to Sid Thrift (don't remember if that was you or your source).

Also, I understand you not thinking MacPhail is the right man for the job. I just don't understand how MacPhail was to blame in Chicago. He was a GM there for a couple of years and then took over the business operations. He was responsible for drafting Mark Prior and I believe Kerry Wood. It isn't his fault that went bad. They were within one terrible fan blunder of going to the WS. Go back farther and you will find that he has two championship rings from his days in Minnesota.

I am not saying savior. I am saying give him a chance. This off-season is not done, there are still moves that can be made.

Yep. And my point was that no one had any information. Just because you jumped to conclusions WITH others means little, SG.

The information out there was bad. That's my point. You're doubling back, now. First, you said you doubted briefly but ultimately thought it would get done. Now you're saying that everyone you respect didn't think it would get done and so it was okay for you to think the same.

I thought it would get done because it didn't make any sense for it not to. And I continued to think this up until the signing occurred.

If you don't think my refutations are intelligent, SG, it's because they go over your head. My refutations are grounded, rational, and - as you've proven - pretty much irrefutable.

Before you make more of a fool out of yourself, you really need to read the threads...I was consistent in saying the deal would get done.

I just read through them(damn, they are funny to look back on btw) and never once did I say, this won't get done...In fact i was even saying, the day he signed, that it would get done.

Even you said that at around 12.05-12:10 that night, you were skeptical it would get done.

One thing that is odd to me over this little Cubs-Os "PA killed the deal" spat is that it reached this finger pointing stage. If AM and Hendry are two professionals, I'm surprised one would let the potential deal/rumor hit the press to let the other's organization look bad.

Regardless, this constant blaming of PA by other cities' media appears to be both good sport and quite comical at the same time.

The next few weeks should be interesting as some of these pretenders/contenders get serious about the potential of their Opening Day roster and whether they could use the upgrade to EB or BRob. I'm impressed with AM's patience and I hope it pays off.

Before you make more of a fool out of yourself, you really need to read the threads...I was consistent in saying the deal would get done.

I just read through them(damn, they are funny to look back on btw) and never once did I say, this won't get done...In fact i was even saying, the day he signed, that it would get done.

Even you said that at around 12.05-12:10 that night, you were skeptical it would get done.

Yep - I waivered, briefly, right before signing (only because of the post-midnight report that it hadn't gotten done.) I remember well.

If I don't remember correctly - and, really, a fool out of myself? - then I apologize. I don't really want to read through those again (nor do I have time, I'm working today) though I believe you when you say how hilarious they are.

This place was an asylum that night. And the inmates were fully in charge.

That said, my point remains the same - there aren't any "irrefutable" facts other than the fact that a rumor, or "inside information," exists. But the substance of those rumors and bits of info aren't facts.

And so I don't find what BB says irrefutable. In fact, I think Steve is right that AM saved a bunch of money on the MW signing. Which isn't about saving money as much as it is about not distorting the value of picks in the future.

Archived