Anyone still want Mark Reynolds?

markakis8

Career OPS is .793 - much, much higher than anything we'll get from our DH or LF.

Why not bring him to camp as a LF or DH platoon with Hank. I could probably make a case for Reynolds over Pearce for that last roster spot.

If he bounces back with 35 homers (very realistic) for pennies on the dollar, we will have done well. If he and Hank both have good first halves, we might get a decent prospect for him in July. Seems like a Billy Beane type of move and one we should consider.

Career OPS weighted to 2009 through 2011.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Career OPS weighted to 2009 through 2011.

I'll give you that, but wouldn't you prefer his potential over the expected production from Pearce (and I really like Pearce)? I gotta think that the guy is still well within his prime years and a .750 OPS is certainly within reach. Seemed like a really popular guy in the clubhouse. For $2M I think I'd consider that a good signing.

I'll give you that, but wouldn't you prefer his potential over the expected production from Pearce (and I really like Pearce)? I gotta think that the guy is still well within his prime years and a .750 OPS is certainly within reach. Seemed like a really popular guy in the clubhouse. For $2M I think I'd consider that a good signing.

If you catch him on his good three week stretch, maybe. But to have to live through the Brendan Ryan stretch? No thanks.

If you catch him on his good three week stretch, maybe. But to have to live through the Brendan Ryan stretch? No thanks.

Reynolds is definitely streaky. But is Pearce's peak production really worth a roster spot over the pinnacle of Reynold's potential at a minimal risk?

Reynolds' late surge was one of the main reasons we soared into the playoffs in 2012 (along with Machado being called up and our bullpen). He carried us through several vital AL East games.

I really don't view Pearce as a guy that could provide us with any clutch. Reynolds I can. That's what I want in a bench player who will most likely get 300 PAs.

Reynolds is definitely streaky. But is Pearce's peak production really worth a roster spot over the pinnacle of Reynold's potential at a minimal risk?

Reynolds' late surge was one of the main reasons we soared into the playoffs in 2012 (along with Machado being called up and our bullpen). He carried us through several vital AL East games.

I really don't view Pearce as a guy that could provide us with any clutch. Reynolds I can. That's what I want in a bench player who will most likely get 300 PAs.

Sorry. Pearce can play a position and be used on the field. If it were 2012, I would be all over this. I am convinced that he is over.

Sorry. Pearce can play a position and be used on the field. If it were 2012, I would be all over this. I am convinced that he is over.

I tend to agree with you. That's why it would have to be a minimal risk. And where's Steve Pearce going to play in the field? LF? I think I would be okay replacing Pearce's "defense" in LF with Reynolds bat. back up 1b? I think I would rather have Reynolds playing 1B than Pearce.

I tend to agree with you. That's why it would have to be a minimal risk. And where's Steve Pearce going to play in the field? LF? I think I would be okay replacing Pearce's "defense" in LF with Reynolds bat. back up 1b? I think I would rather have Reynolds playing 1B than Pearce.

For all of Reynolds' toe-touching theatrics at 1B, Pearce is a better defender at either position.

I submit we bring him to camp. If he's a shell, we offer him his release or an assignment to Norfolk (he's earned the right to choose). If he is in great shape, working hard at learning LF, and making good decisions at the plate, I would love to have him on the team.

As an aside...any chance he'd be willing to go to Norfolk and learn 2B? After all, his errors were not with the glove. They were throwing. Maybe the shorter throws wouldn't be a problem. A 2B who hits 25-30 dingers would be pretty cool.

For the record, I still like him as a LF/DH candidate.

I submit we bring him to camp. If he's a shell, we offer him his release or an assignment to Norfolk (he's earned the right to choose). If he is in great shape, working hard at learning LF, and making good decisions at the plate, I would love to have him on the team.

As an aside...any chance he'd be willing to go to Norfolk and learn 2B? After all, his errors were not with the glove. They were throwing. Maybe the shorter throws wouldn't be a problem. A 2B who hits 25-30 dingers would be pretty cool.

For the record, I still like him as a LF/DH candidate.

From what I have heard he has always been in shape.

He's always worked hard.

He makes great decisions at the plate.

Doesn't stop his glove from being poor and doesn't stop him from flat out missing middle-middle fastballs on occasion.

For all of Reynolds' toe-touching theatrics at 1B, Pearce is a better defender at either position.

Let's not act like Pearce is such a defensive wizard or that his bat is so crucial that it's worth keeping him around for a bench role. Pearce has done nothing in his entire career that insists he's a marquee player off the bench. He hits a home run almost every 60 PA, has subpar speed and defense skills, a career .318 OBP and he can only play the defensive positions that are the least important...not to mention he's not durable...seriously, why are we keeping him around?

Archived