Jen Royle: Orioles open to trading Valencia ( Traded to KC for OF David Lough)

Barnaby Graves

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We gave up LJ for Norris. A move that I agreed with at the time.

Having said that, now that McLouth is gone and we traded Valencia for Lough.

Is Lough/Platoon Partner a better option in LF, then LJ or LJ/Platoon Partner.

The jury is out on whether Hoes can play defense. I know offense is still important, but with the staff we have and the ballpark we play in, defense is really important. Last year he had a -0.7 Defensive WAR in 46 games with Houston, which doesn't translate well to a full season. Maybe he'll hit, maybe he won't, but if he doesn't hit and can't play defense, he's a bench player at best.

We gave up LJ for Norris. A move that I agreed with at the time.

Having said that, now that McLouth is gone and we traded Valencia for Lough.

Is Lough/Platoon Partner a better option in LF, then LJ or LJ/Platoon Partner.

Lough had the highest WAR of all rookies. LJ wasn't gonna ever do that.

Lough looks like a better player than Hoes. The only thing Hoes seems to have over Lough is the ability to take a walk. Otherwise, I think Lough hits for higher average and plays much better defense.

Amazing how the OH will always rally around every FO decision.

LJ Hoes played every minor and ML level 3 years earlier than Lough

In 181 AAA games at ages 22/23 he had a slash line of 302/391/400 in the International league a pitchers league and especially @ Norfolk a pitchers paradise.

Lough played 4 consecutive years at AAA with a slash line of .295/.348/.448 at the ages of 24/27 (older than Hoes in the majors). Numbers don't look too bad but then consider that this was in the PCL a notorious hitters league. His numbers were barely league average.

Keep deluding yourself OH, but prepare to see LJ Hoes have an OBP of > .340, while Lough has an OBP < .300 while striking out a ton for a guy with little power.

Hoes has been the slightly better base stealer

So maybe Lough is the better defender but LJ Hoes is adequate.

In 181 AAA games at ages 22/23 he had a slash line of 302/391/400 in the International league a pitchers league and especially @ Norfolk a pitchers paradise.

Lough played 4 consecutive years at AAA with a slash line of .295/.348/.448 at the ages of 24/27 (older than Hoes in the majors). Numbers don't look too bad but then consider that this was in the PCL a notorious hitters league. His numbers were barely league average.

Keep deluding yourself OH, but prepare to see LJ Hoes have an OBP of > .340, while Lough has an OBP < .300 while striking out a ton for a guy with little power.

The numbers, which you clearly ignored (no surprise there), show Hoes is far from adequate. Almost a full win below replacement level in less than 50 games. Stretch that out over the course of a season and tell me that's adequate. Look through this thread and you won't find the whole OH rallying around this decision, or anybody else. But I can always count on you to bash every decision, and play revisionist history with every move to fit your contradictory and negative reputation.

I'm not crazy about the trade - I thought Valencia was a real pleasant surprise down the stretch - but the O's probably needed a 4th OFer, so I can understand it. Thing is - if they're thinking of Lough as a starting OFer, that's just sad (loughable?). Now they have enormous holes at both LF and DH. So evaluating this trade depends on how they follow it up.

Just looking statistically, it does appear that Lough is a left-handed hitting Hoes at best.

Just looking statistically, it does appear that Lough is a left-handed hitting Hoes at best.

But sounds like Lough is a better fielder and thrower.

Avg ~

Power ~

Running ~

Fielding Lough >

Throwing Lough >

I also think handedness and the lack of big splits play in Lough's favor.

I've got to agree w webbrick here.

I think it's kind to say that about Lough.

This is a guy who OPSed under 800 in the PCL in his mid-20s.

That doesn't scream ML "regular" to me. At least not for a corner outfielder.

And to be clear, I don't have a problem w the trade.

I've got to agree w webbrick here.

I think it's kind to say that about Lough.

This is a guy who OPSed under 800 in the PCL in his mid-20s.

That doesn't scream ML "regular" to me. At least not for a corner outfielder.

And to be clear, I don't have a problem w the trade.

Agreed, I think Lough is fine as a 4th outfielder but not too enthused if the Orioles plan to play him as the main part of a left field platoon or even worse, plan to play him everyday.

Agreed, I think Lough is fine as a 4th outfielder but not too enthused if the Orioles plan to play him as the main part of a left field platoon or even worse, plan to play him everyday.

I've seen platooning mentioned frequently, but in Lough's case I don't get it. Over his minor league career, his RHP/LHP split is .811/.777. That's pretty small.

I'm definitely a fan of platoons, but I don't really understand why Lough is considered a candidate for one. You could argue that you'd rather have Pearce hitting vs LHP because Pearce is quite good at that, but even so, you lose the defensive value and Pearce even against LHP isn't a GREAT hitter (unlike eg Valencia).

Archived