Yankee Brian Roberts. (Update: Signs for $2M+)

Greg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Yankees&src=hash">#Yankees</a> likely to sign free-agent 2B Brian Roberts.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 17, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Watch dude is gonna be a beast now.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is just awful. Like Koji with the Red Sox but a million times worse. I don't want to see him in that uniform. Maybe he'll just get hurt in ST in miss the whole year and we can pretend it never happened?

Meh, I'd disagree. Koji was still a viable player. Brian's just about done.

Also, anybody who holds this against Roberts should think before they open their mouth. The Yankees are the only team out there willing to offer him a starting job. Not the Orioles of course, we need to save our marbles for big offseason acquisitions like Grant Balfour.

Only team? Really? Sure about that?

Only team? Really? Sure about that?

I'm speculating but I would be highly surprised if Roberts turned down a better offer from somewhere else, in money, playing time, or playoff aspirations. The Yankees are certainly his #1 option to start on a playoff contending team. Who else is even in the market for a 2B? Ellis just signed to be a potentially part-time player with Wong in STL. Roberts has a better situation than that with NYY, with Johnson his only competition and he's likely to be playing alot of 3B.

I am not sure what the Yankees are going for here?

Oldest opening day infield?

Most overpaid opening day infield?

Most days on DL?

I hate DD's strategy of sitting on his hands while everyone gets signed, but if the Yankees give him $6 or $7 million they deserve what is coming.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Yea, teams that are you know, actively trying to win, can't churn the roster like the O's could. I don't expect the Yankees to score a bunch of these guys. And even the Yankees got Nestor (3.9 rWAR this season, which would be second on the O's)
    • What I want for Judge is for him to sign with a non AL East team.  I believe he has at least 5 more good/great years left.  I would rather he has those years with say the Mets.  I can't imagine the angst that Yankee fans would have if Judge is across town hitting 50+ HR.  The Yankees are not near as good w/o Judge and there's no clear replacement in free agency. 
    • That's the worst to me too.  The O's had a big lead in the season series, and I thought, well at least the O's are better than the Sox (record wise if not talent wise).  This collapse against the Sox has been frustrating and humbling. 
    • I know, there are a lot of forgettable pitchers too. But I would bet that we have gotten more out of waiver claims than just about any team in MLB the last 4 years, and I bet it isnt' close.
    • I think Elias made the right choice.  He had to know the O's had a 10% or less chance of making the playoffs.  Do you mortgage the future for that small chance?  Maybe in 2023, when the O's are real contenders, you do send away major talent in a trade.  Even if the O's kept Lopez and Mancini and made a minor addition, I still think they are coming up short.  The O's just have too big a talent gap between them and teams like Toronto, Tampa Bay and even Seattle.  Think about how much talent Dan traded away in 2012-2016.  The O's don't need to repeat the mistakes of the past.  I think Elias is going to concentrate on collecting talent more than trading it away.  I'm sure there will be trades in the future, but it will be for difference making talent at the right time. 
    • Not a particular game, but basically the first month and a half when Adley could have been called up sooner and possibly swung a couple of those. He'll end up getting that extra year of service time anyways for his ROY finish, so that production was just lost.
    • I was interested in Brantley too.  Is he not a capable OF anymore?
  • Popular Contributors