Yankee Brian Roberts. (Update: Signs for $2M+)

Greg

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meh, I'd disagree. Koji was still a viable player. Brian's just about done.

Koji is certainly better currently but Roberts has been an Oriole forever. People rag on him now for the injuries, steroids, and whatever else, but people forget just how good he was for us and for how long before the concussions.

From 2003-2009 Roberts averaged 4.0 fWAR with a .288/.362/.430 batting line, 33.5 SB per season and a +4.5 UZR/150. He was the quintessential leadoff hitter. Worked counts, spoiled pitches, got on base and was the best baserunner in an Orioles uniform this side of Brady Anderson, at the very least.

My memory is not short. That is the Brian Roberts I remember. It will be really hard to see him in an Yankees uniform.

Hope he hits .100 and it will be a cold day before he even sniffs the Orioles HOF. Millions paid to him for absolutely nothing and he just takes the first train out of town to our most bitter rivals. It will be fun to boo the heck out of him!

This. Amen.

That stinks; rather see him finish up somewhere obscure and out of the division. It didn't hurt when Melvin Mora went to Colorado or Al Bumbry finished up in San Diego.

I don't really want him on the team as this point, but Brian Roberts is an ORIOLE. He belongs to us.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Yankees&src=hash">#Yankees</a> likely to sign free-agent 2B Brian Roberts.</p>? Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">December 17, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Watch dude is gonna be a beast now.

NY state of mind.

And body...

I know Brian is not this player anymore but we need a hitter of his style in the lineup, for my own sanity. Machado, Jones, and Davis are all great offensive players for sure, but they must combine to swing at more balls out of the zone than any other combination of three players on a team in baseball.

Markakis is the only disciplined hitter on the team now and he hit the ball last season with so little authority he might as well have been using a wiffleball bat.

If we end up giving more than 150 ABs to Francisco Peguero, he of the <4.0 BB% in AAA, I am going to lose my mind.

If DD is insistent on going with the gruesome twosome of Flaherty and Weeks at 2B we REALLY need to get some legitimate hitters at LF and DH. Good thing there's tons of those in free agency left!

Hope he hits .100 and it will be a cold day before he even sniffs the Orioles HOF. Millions paid to him for absolutely nothing and he just takes the first train out of town to our most bitter rivals. It will be fun to boo the heck out of him!

What's he supposed to do, take a minor league deal to compete for a job in Baltimore? Or tell the Yankees, "Sorry, I have to turn down your offer to start on your playoff-contending team because the Orioles, who don't want me anymore and went to the playoffs one time during my 12 year tenure with the team, are your rivals. I gotta take my talents elsewhere to be a veteran presence on a losing team."

You boo Koji when he comes to town as well?

What's he supposed to do, take a minor league deal to compete for a job in Baltimore? Or tell the Yankees, "Sorry, I have to turn down your offer to start on your playoff-contending team because the Orioles, who don't want me anymore and went to the playoffs one time during my 12 year tenure with the team, are your rivals. I gotta take my talents elsewhere to be a veteran presence on a losing team."

You boo Koji when he comes to town as well?

We traded Koji, remember? And we didn't sign him when we could have. On the other hand, we paid The former Brob, henceforth to be known as Broid, millions for nada, zippo production and he signs with the Skanks? No, no..take your 62 million earned from the Os and retire. If no, then accept the consequences of Os fan derision.

Why are you pissed at Roberts? He obviously wants to keep playing baseball. The Orioles haven't bothered to even contact him about a contract. Maybe you should redirect your anger in the right direction.....the O's lackadaisical front office.

Going to be real hard not to boo him. Anywhere but the Yankees.

I could boo him easily. He could have easily come back on a team friendly deal, in return for the 20 million he cost the team doing nothing and really hurting the Orioles in 2012 with his 10 million on the books. Just another astonishing revelation of greed over loyalty.

Archived