Brian Roberts Appreciation Thread

Sanfran327

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is weak. Do a proper appreciation thread or don't. But don't do one with quotation marks and a bitter OP.

Lame.

Feel free to start your own butt-kissing thread.

Also, this is not so much anything against Brian. It's just the way pro sports are now, and I hate it. Every decision is based on the financial implications.

Lame.

I'm with SanFran on this one. I'm not feeling very appreciative right now. He made gobs and gobs and gobs of money from the Orioles and gave them very little the past 4-5 years. Add on the fact that much of his previous contract was based on PEDs and he should have signed with the Orioles for the veteran minimum on a minor league deal or retired.

We went through some very dark years at the beginning of this millennium, where there wasn't much on the field to cheer about, and not a lot of guys on the team you could truly look to as difference makers and being and keepers. Brian Roberts was one of the few exceptions. The numbers speak for themselves: 28.9 career WAR (12th best in Orioles history), 1,452 hits, and being the first fully home grown, drafted by the Orioles since Cal Ripken Jr. to become an All Star, and years of community service and representing a terrible team in a city and region. His tenure didn't end the way anybody would have wanted, but right now, Brian Roberts deserves to be appreciated for what he did during his time as an Oriole. Not for the injuries, the blind fandom, and the petty gripes people have held for years, but what he actually did. He was one of the few glimmers of hope for a lot of years, and he did good. Best of luck Brian.

I'm with SanFran on this one. I'm not feeling very appreciative right now. He made gobs and gobs and gobs of money from the Orioles and gave them very little the past 4-5 years. Add on the fact that much of his previous contract was based on PEDs and he should have signed with the Orioles for the veteran minimum on a minor league deal or retired.

Well, that's the fine line. I'm bitter that he left Baltimore for NYY because I am an O's fan and hate the Skanks, but I don't think it's quite fair to bring up the last few years. I'm always going to give a player the benefit of the doubt that he's working his tail off to get back on the field, so I can't fault BRob for his contributions (or lack thereof, technically) over the last few years. However, the point about the PED use and the resulting contract is valid, even if it's not a point I choose to dwell on.

I rooted for Brian from the beginning. When people liked Hairston over him I vehemently disagreed. I was delighted when he got the job. I loved watching Brob play. He got the most out of that little body. A doubles machine, a clutch home run hitter and really good base stealer. Watching him take that walking lead off second and then stealing third, sometimes even with the pitcher still holding the ball, was a thing of beauty. Will miss him plenty.

Funny, the first thing I thought when I saw Brian had signed with another team (any other team) was that this better be a long appreciation thread. For years Brian was the only thing they had going for them. A vastly underrated spark plug second basement who was arguably the best leadoff hitter in the game.

In the following Pedroia's MVP one could argue that Brian put up comparable numbers. Brian was a good Oriole and I am disappointed to see him go.

I am so sick of the concept that Roberts was an avid PED user. He admitted taking steroids one time. Which is admitting more than most players did. We all know EVERYONE was doing steroids then, at least he admitted it. He was a talented player without the use of PED's. This is also the worst and most disrespectful time to bring that crap up. Just let it go...gosh it's been 10 years

Seriously, enough of this crap. The guy spent 14 years here, and while the last few years satisfied nobody, least alone Roberts himself, this stuff has no place in a real appreciation thread.

Man...some of you guys are uber sensitive. You do realize Brian isn't coming on the OH and reading this....right? It was an attempt at a bit of humor. I hold no ill will toward Brian.

Archived