Brian Roberts Appreciation Thread

Sanfran327

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a big time Jerry Hairston guy when that Hairston-Roberts debate was going on and I was 180 degrees wrong. Thanks for the memories B-Rob. I just wish the injuries hadn't piled up and you could have stood alongside Cal, Brooks and Palmer as a lifetime Oriole great.

This is why I'll always think very well of Roberts.

University of Maryland Children’s Hospital is recognized throughout Maryland as a valuable resource for critical and chronically injured children. We have seen firsthand the needs of the children and their families, whether it be a small gift to brighten their day or updating equipment to make sure they are receiving the best care possible. Therefore, The One For All Fund was established. We sometimes are asked “why” we do what we do. The answer is our love and faith in Jesus Christ. He is the main source of the “why” and without him in the equation we would not be able to do what we do. He has blessed our lives immensely and we hope to be a reflection of His love.

Diana and I feel truly blessed to be a part of the community of Baltimore. They have embraced us with open arms and support that humbles us each time we encounter it. We realize that we are a part of this wonderful game of baseball for a higher purpose. We thank you in advance for teaming up with us to impact the lives of the children in our community.

source - Brian Roberts.com

I remember attending a game way back when the losing had just begun. A very young (too young) Brian Roberts was playing 2B and looked lost out there. Booted a grounder, made another mental error.

He was already our best player.

Brian Roberts and Melvin Mora, the good guys on many bad teams.

An Oriole through and through. I will never forget the Hairston-Roberts battle, which in hindsight probably didn't mean all that much. I loved how he played the game with a combination of smarts and joy, not something you see very often. He always had that little smirk that was a combination between "I know something you don't" and "I can't believe I get paid to do this".

The Orioles of the 2000's will always be special to me, I was in my 20's and living the single life in B-more. I followed those teams with a passion that I just don't have time to do anymore. B-Rob was at the center of those teams, and was a island of talent in an ever-changing sea of mediocrity.

And, as others have mentioned, he loved Baltimore and became part of the fabric of the community, which I imagine will continue. Good luck in NY, while I will still continue hating the Yankees, I will never root against B-Rob.

Prediction: Brian will find a way to retire as an Oriole.

Well I wish him well. Sucks that it's to the Yankees but it's really the end of an era in a way since he's the last guy ever to play with Cal on the team's active roster and Cal was my favorite O as a kid so another part of my childhood chips away here. He gave us a lot of great years. It just sucks that he got hurt after we gave him a big deal.

He was one of the most patient lead off hitters I have ever seen. He was the true definition of a lead off, willing to take pitches, foul pitches off, and do whatever it took to let others behind him get a look at the pitcher's pitches, and make the pitcher's pitch count rise. He had the lost art of recognizing that a lead off hitter's job is to expose and wear down the pitcher, as much as it is to get on base.

Once in 2006, I was at a game in which the Orioles were trailing in the 9th by 4 runs or so. B-Rob was the lead off for the inning. After 2 pitches were fouled off, I turned to my buddy and said, "let's beat the rush and go to Pickles to grab one for the road." We left section 316 and began our trek. As we walked down the ramp, we heard roar after roar from the crowd which sounded in conjunction with pitches. We got to the concourse by the warehouse, and much to my surprise, B-Rob was still up. We continued our trek up Eutaw street, continuing to hear roars from the crowd. We exited the stadium and got to Pickles at least 15 minutes after leaving our seats, and I certainly believed the game was probably over. Much to our surprise, I looked up to the TV to see that Brian was STILL AT THE PLATE. The count was 3-2 and he was getting his 11th or 12th pitch of the at-bat. B-Rob took a walk, and eventually scored. The O's lost the game with the tying run being thrown out at the plate. But as I watched at Pickles, I thought to myself, I will never leave the stadium with B-Rob at the plate ever again. He took a double digit pitch at bat to start a rally in the ninth that lasted the entire walk from the 300 level to Pickles. Brian's efforts came up short, as most of Roberts' teams in the 2k's did. But to me, this at bat exemplified his career.

I wasn't particularly happy with B-Rob over the last 2 years. Especially given his insistence on head first sliding which lead to the aggravation of his concussion, putting him out for a long period. But all in all, he is the kind of player who deserved to be on a better O's team. I wish the CURRENT team would have had him in his prime. I was hoping the Os would have brought him back on a one year deal as a bridge to Schoop, but alas no. Even though he will be a Yankee, I will be delighted to see him succeed this year, so long as it is not at our expense of course. Hopefully he will not give us a 15 minute at bat to start a rally, or at least if he starts such a rally, it will be one that is as or less successful than the one I left!!

Everything you've said below rings true. Could not have put it better myself. Still some heartache he's a Yankee now. He was my favorite Oriole and I cannot wait to see him enshrined at OPACY

All that needs to be said about Brian in a real appreciation thread is that for years and years, he was literally the only player that was worth a damn on the Orioles.

Look, it didn't end in a storybook way for Brian's tenure as an Oriole. We can cite the steroid admission, we can cite the contract that didn't work out and the numerous injuries.

But for me, I appreciate his talent, his good work in the community, the fact that he seemed like a good dude. And he was fun as hell to watch: the doubles, the dancing off the bag, all the stolen third bases. He was a unique player and it sucks that he wasn't healthy for the playoffs in 2012. But I'm glad he was a part of a winning team - finally - in his last year as an Oriole.

I don't hold a grudge for choosing the Yankees. They had a need, they're not paying him a lot, and the Orioles clearly wanted to move on. So thanks for the memories, B-Rob!

images_Brian_Roberts_large.jpg?379

It will not be easy seeing him in those pinstripes man. For sure. Anyone who says different is lying. Not that I'm mad at him or even the Yankees. Just a little sad it didn't work out.

I'd like to know if he or his agent got or pursued offers from other teams. If the Yankees were truly the only team interested in signing him, then I'd have no hard feelings about him signing with him. But if that's not the case, it affects how I think of him. Either way, I'd like to know.

Archived