Brian Roberts Appreciation Thread

Sanfran327

Can we trace the decline of Roberts to his lack of Biggie Smalls walk up music?

Fo, sho.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/glEiPXAYE-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vltC-O7PDYQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YFP8Rd5XsHw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm assuming the O's will handle this with tremendous class, as will Brian. It won't happen this year, but there will be a ceremony at the Yard someday.

I kinda like the idea of cheering loudly for a Yankee. It's like we're above them. They get our castoff, we treat him like gold. Poor, poor Yanks.

We went through some very dark years at the beginning of this millennium, where there wasn't much on the field to cheer about, and not a lot of guys on the team you could truly look to as difference makers and being and keepers. Brian Roberts was one of the few exceptions. The numbers speak for themselves: 28.9 career WAR (12th best in Orioles history), 1,452 hits, and being the first fully home grown, drafted by the Orioles since Cal Ripken Jr. to become an All Star, and years of community service and representing a terrible team in a city and region. His tenure didn't end the way anybody would have wanted, but right now, Brian Roberts deserves to be appreciated for what he did during his time as an Oriole. Not for the injuries, the blind fandom, and the petty gripes people have held for years, but what he actually did. He was one of the few glimmers of hope for a lot of years, and he did good. Best of luck Brian.

Yeah, maybe this is all true. But somehow, I feel like we should have had a "Brian Roberts appreciation thread" about 7 years ago. Literally, the guy has sucked up millions and millions of dollars and contributed very little for years and years - meanwhile possibly keeping us from really getting a true replacement at 2nd base. I think he has been an albatross on the team for some time - through no fault of his own, really. So I'm not harshing on the guy, personally. I'm just saying as a fan, I haven't been excited about Roberts for a LONG time. His presence and constant "comebacks" have, frankly, annoyed the hell out of me.

So yeah, thanks bro - for what you did way back when. While we're at it, let's thanks Jose Mercedes.

I'm assuming the O's will handle this with tremendous class, as will Brian. It won't happen this year, but there will be a ceremony at the Yard someday.

I kinda like the idea of cheering loudly for a Yankee. It's like we're above them. They get our castoff, we treat him like gold. Poor, poor Yanks.

I'm going to take a big pass on cheering for an ex-Oriole who now plays for the Yankees, thanks. He's a Yankee now. And therefore, he sucks.

I am so sick of the concept that Roberts was an avid PED user. He admitted taking steroids one time. Which is admitting more than most players did. We all know EVERYONE was doing steroids then, at least he admitted it. He was a talented player without the use of PED's. This is also the worst and most disrespectful time to bring that crap up. Just let it go...gosh it's been 10 years

Ugh. Give me a break. He used PEDs - and he admitted it. I never thought of him the same way again after that. And I don't think it's unfair to bring up something that actually happened, unless you want to excuse EVERYONE who used PEDs and call it a day.

He had a great career here and I enjoyed watching him play. Really fun to watch when he was at his peak, especially when he was unstoppable stealing bases. I remember going berserk when he took Rivera deep. I really like ShaneDawg85's post, I agree wholeheartedly with all of it....spent a lot of a great career playing for absolutely awful teams.

Wish him nothing but the best, except when he plays against us.

I'm going to take a big pass on cheering for an ex-Oriole who now plays for the Yankees, thanks. He's a Yankee now. And therefore, he sucks.
Ugh. Give me a break. He used PEDs - and he admitted it. I never thought of him the same way again after that. And I don't think it's unfair to bring up something that actually happened, unless you want to excuse EVERYONE who used PEDs and call it a day.
Yeah, maybe this is all true. But somehow, I feel like we should have had a "Brian Roberts appreciation thread" about 7 years ago. Literally, the guy has sucked up millions and millions of dollars and contributed very little for years and years - meanwhile possibly keeping us from really getting a true replacement at 2nd base. I think he has been an albatross on the team for some time - through no fault of his own, really. So I'm not harshing on the guy, personally. I'm just saying as a fan, I haven't been excited about Roberts for a LONG time. His presence and constant "comebacks" have, frankly, annoyed the hell out of me.

So yeah, thanks bro - for what you did way back when. While we're at it, let's thanks Jose Mercedes.

Did Roberts bang your sister? Ease up man.

Archived