Money aside, would you rather have Jim Johnson or Grant Balfour as closer in 2014?

Frobby

Money aside, would you rather have Balfour or JJ closing for the Orioles in 2014?  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Money aside, would you rather have Balfour or JJ closing for the Orioles in 2014?

Simple question. And please, no answers like, "you can't ignore the money component" or "neither, I'd rather have spent the money somewhere else. Just a very basic question, who do you think would do a better job closing games for the Orioles in 2014? Forget about money or anything else.

Ona related note, I find it fascinating that Billy Beane would trade for Johnson, who will command maybe $10 mm or so this year, and let Balfour walk. Did he misjudge what the market for Balfour would be, or does he think Balfour is heading for a fall?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Simple question. And please, no answers like, "you can't ignore the money component" or "neither, I'd rather have spent the money somewhere else. Just a very basic question, who do you think would do a better job closing games for the Orioles in 2014? Forget about money or anything else.

Ona related note, I find it fascinating that Billy Beane would trade for Johnson, who will command maybe $10 mm or so this year, and let Balfour walk. Did he misjudge what the market for Balfour would be, or does he think Balfour is heading for a fall?

This was answered on MLB Network. They said Balfour wanted a 3 year deal at the time of the Johnson trade.

It's the playoffs. You have Miguel Cabrera at the plate. Who do you want pitching? Or Russell Martin, Or Raul Ibanez?

I'd rather have Russell Martin pitching to Cabrera than I would Raul Ibanez.

Martin was a starting pitcher for his junior varsity team in high school when he was in 10th grade.

Ibanez hasn't pitched since he was in junior league, when he was 13.

On a related note, I find it fascinating that Billy Beane would trade for Johnson, who will command maybe $10 mm or so this year, and let Balfour walk. Did he misjudge what the market for Balfour would be, or does he think Balfour is heading for a fall?

I think Beane picked up the phone, called Balfour's agent and when he heard the three year demand it caused him to find an alternative. If Beane thought he could've gotten 2/15 for Balfour, no doubt he would've done that.

Balfour is a better pitcher for OPACY. He's a strikeout pitcher' date=' which is what you ideally want in a closer.[/quote']

I voted Johnson, but I think it's close. But this is a weird statement to make: Johnson is a groundball pitcher, and Balfour is a strikeout/flyball pitchers. The latter seems a worse fit for Camden Yards to me.

I think Beane picked up the phone, called Balfour's agent and when he heard the three year demand it caused him to find an alternative. If Beane thought he could've gotten 2/15 for Balfour, no doubt he would've done that.

Exactly. There was a thread that discussed what Beane must have been thinking in acquiring Johnson at that cost. The only explanation that seemed possible was that he was going to flip Johnson at the trade deadline.

Does anyone know the best reason given for Beane doing that deal? DD win big time.

Archived