Is it me or is Choo crazy? (Update: Choo to Rangers)

Greg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His skill set is found in his OBP. Imo our second biggest weakness behind SP. I think we desperately need a player of his profile. For that money though you have to pass.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

But, his defense isn't great, and I don't think he hits both righties and lefties equally.

Not sure, I would pay 20 million a year for him, and it appears that nobody else is, either.

This offseason is blowing my mind, and almost p*ssing me off so much I don't even want to watch the game anymore.

It's sickening to watch these players/agents asking for absurd money. It's going to take the owners getting together and saying "No, we aren't paying these players that money. Let's get out of the hole we have dug and bring these players/agents ego's down a notch"

"No Mr Boras, your player isn't worth 170 million dollars. Why is he? Does he hit .300 30 HR and drive in 150 runs? Do you know how much the player who was the back to back MVP makes??"

Blows my mind that Boras could bulk at that contract, and you know what is really really outrageous? Someone will pay him the money...Until that stops, baseball has very little hope.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: Shin-Soo Choo turned down a seven-year, $140M contract from the Yankees, even after Jacoby Ellsbury signed. <a href="http://t.co/LDVEw326wT">http://t.co/LDVEw326wT</a></p>? Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) <a href="
">December 18, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He's a nice player and all but how do you turn that down?

Because:

[video=youtube;u5Go1CIImhA]

Maybe I'm a bit crazy. I think Choo is every bit as good as Ellsbury but one year older. Ellsbury has a different skill set which relies a lot on speed. They both have Boras as an agent and quite frankly I think they are at least equal as players. Ellsbury hit lefties at a .642 OPS clip last year so he struggles there too.

If we are comparing the two, Choo probably does deserve Ellsbury money but maybe one less year. Ellsbury is getting just over $21Million per year. I would be comfortable with 6 years and $117 on Choo and would go up to $125Million.

We would be thrilled with his production in our lineup for at least 4 of those 6 years. I would of course prefere 5 years $105 million with an option year based on reaching incentives.

That probably doesn't get us Choo but why wouldn't anybody want a player that has tremendous on-base skills, and has pop and can steal some bases? The difference between he and McLouth last year is a playoff berth, plain and simple.

Unfortunately, that's collusion and against the rules.

Yes, and the MLBPA would have a field day...One can wish though. I just don't understand logically how someone can ask for more money than Miggy C, especially after the Pujols contract that will have to be eaten for years and years. I'm not even going to mention the ARod contract and what is going on there, even though there a chance the Yanks will get off the hook for that blunder.

I'm sorry but he's crazy to turn down 7/140. But the teams offering him $20mm a year need to have their heads examined. He's a nice corner outfielder but come on! And yes he'd be a great fit for the birds. But he's already 30, a career .680 ops vs lefties, one year with an ops north of .900 and a decent fielder. $20mm? Again nice player but thats a bad contract for whoever signs Choo.

When it comes to OBP, yes. But the focus will just turn to trying to find another market inefficiency.

This. I'm tired of people equating Moneyball to OBP. Moneyball is about constantly exploiting market inefficiencies, OBP just happened to be the inefficiency at the time. Now, it appears Beane has moved on to platoons and defense.

Archived