Is it me or is Choo crazy? (Update: Choo to Rangers)

Greg

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is silly. The guy has averaged 4 WAR over the last 5 years, even including the injury shortened 2011 where he only played 85 games. He was a 5+ WAR player last year. That's easily a 14 million dollar player.
He was worth 90 M in production the last 5 years. I wouldn't expect that same level of production the next 5 given his age, and I also wouldn't pay for the expected production, I'd pay a little less, so 5/16 per would be a good price. Of course some one will over pay and be sorry the last 3 years of his contract But I can't believe Boras can talk someone into paying a 5/80M guy, 8/160M

It's crazy that he turned that down but perhaps he has no real interest in playing in New York. It's certainly not for everyone. Texas has a cheaper cost of living and no state income tax. So wouldn't be surprised to see him still end up with something similar or even lower with the Rangers.

It's crazy that he turned that down but perhaps he has no real interest in playing in New York. It's certainly not for everyone. Texas has a cheaper cost of living and no state income tax. So wouldn't be surprised to see him still end up with something similar or even lower with the Rangers.

His agent is Scott Boras. He gets ALL the money. Even if Choo has to play in Japan.

This offseason is blowing my mind, and almost p*ssing me off so much I don't even want to watch the game anymore.

It's sickening to watch these players/agents asking for absurd money. It's going to take the owners getting together and saying "No, we aren't paying these players that money. Let's get out of the hole we have dug and bring these players/agents ego's down a notch"

"No Mr Boras, your player isn't worth 170 million dollars. Why is he? Does he hit .300 30 HR and drive in 150 runs? Do you know how much the player who was the back to back MVP makes??"

Blows my mind that Boras could bulk at that contract, and you know what is really really outrageous? Someone will pay him the money...Until that stops, baseball has very little hope.

You would rather the owners just keep the money? Want Angelo's and his ilk to just bank the cash? The money is there. The new TV deals are all through the roof. The playersaredumb if they don't get their fair share. I don't understand why you are frustrated with the players.

You would rather the owners just keep the money? Want Angelo's and his ilk to just bank the cash? The money is there. The new TV deals are all through the roof. The playersaredumb if they don't get their fair share. I don't understand why you are frustrated with the players.

Seriously. The owners aren't going to give that money back to ticket holders, cable subscribers, or taxpayers who (in many cases) paid for their stadiums.

According to deadspin today, when trout hits the market, people intghe business are estimating 12 years 400 million. By that standard, 7 yrs 140 million is a bargain. Crazy world that we live in.

Well luckily for the Angels Hamilton's contract will end the year before Trout is a free agent. They will be saving 32 million a year getting that off the books so they should have no problem inking Trout to that kind of deal.

You do think that 2017 will be a problem year for them with Josh making 32 million, Puljos making 26 million and I am sure Trouts arbitration number will be sky high by then.

Interesting fangraph article on Ethier being an undervalued Choo alternative.

Ethier's under guaranteed contract another four years, for $71.5 million. That goes up to five years and $86.5 million if an option vests, but that would require 550 plate appearances in 2017 and that would presumably require that Ethier still be all right. If you start him off at 3 WAR and dock 0.5 per season, you'd end up at 9 WAR after four years or 10 WAR after five. No matter what, you're paying a little more than the current market rate for wins. That's why people think the Dodgers would have to eat money.

Let's be conservative and say Choo signs for six years and $108 million. Start him off at 3.5 WAR and dock 0.5 per season, and after six seasons you'd end up at 13.5 WAR. But Choo could get a higher average annual value, or he could get the same AAV over seven years. Again, you're probably paying a little more than the current market rate for wins. It doesn't look like there's a bargain to be had out of the Shin-Soo Choo negotiations.

And then there's the additional matter of the qualifying offer that Choo turned down. Sign Choo and you lose a draft pick, and that draft pick will be valued at some millions of dollars. Not a lot, but it still counts. If you trade for Ethier, you probably give up a nothing prospect so long as you take the whole salary.

If Choo's better than Ethier now, he should project to be better than Ethier in the future. But it doesn't look like he's better by a whole lot, and I think it's stretching it to say the difference is even as much as a win. Ethier will have an AAV of either $17.9 million over four years, or $17.3 million over five. Choo ought to beat that AAV, at least by a little, and then Choo's also going to have a longer deal, by the end of which he could be almost worthless.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-easily-attainable-shin-soo-choo-alternative/

Ethier would certainly be nice at DH. Not a ton of power but could easily get to 20-25 at OPACY. .360 obp is definitely a nice addition especially from the DH spot. Would fit in very nicely in the 5th hole, or even 2 hole if you want more rbi chances for the big guns. Doubles Machado would work well in the 5 hole too

Archived