MLB and Nippon have new posting system: Tanaka is now an option

srock

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I couldn't disagree more. What if the Orioles wanted to sell Manny to the Yankees for 20 million bucks? Would that be allowed? Not a chance. MLB blew it. This was their opportunity to completely get rid of the posting system and they caved. The Japanese team should receive zero dollars. I believe it takes 9 years to be a free agent in japan. If that is the rule then it should be the rule for everyone. They are in effect selling players for cash. That is a fact. If it is a Japanese players desire to play in the US then don't sign with a Japanese team. Go straight to the US, it is allowed. Suck it up in the minors like the rest of the US players.

You are mixing apples and oranges. It is obvious that further discussion will be useless.

Meanwhile, the Orioles remain at a self-imposed competitive disadvantage.

Happy Holidays.

I don't care what NPB does. I'm just saying what MLB should do. When players from Japan are free agents based on whatever system NPB has in place, they go into the draft. Where is the problem?

Then the players go from being under NPB team control to voluntarily giving up their free agency to tie themselves to an MLB team, not of their choice, for another 6-7 years? That would almost be like the old days with the reserve clause!

Then the players go from being under NPB team control to voluntarily giving up their free agency to tie themselves to an MLB team, not of their choice, for another 6-7 years? That would almost be like the old days with the reserve clause!

Again. They didn't have to sign a contract in Japan. That was their choice. They could have come right to the US. They will be able to negotiate a big contract with the MLB team. If they are not happy with it, then stay in Japan. They don't have to sign with the team that drafts them, just like a HS or college kid.

I don't disagree. Put the funds into a player that doesn't require a posting fee. No one that's come out of Japan, sans Ichiro in his first handful of seasons (before his age caught up to him a bit) has been a guy that couldn't be replaced by other players on the market.

If by "handful of seasons" you mean:

- 11 seasons with a BA over .300

- 7 seasons with a BA over .320

- 4 seasons with a BA over .350

- 10 seasons with an OBP over .350

- 5 seasons with an OBP over .375

- 1 season with an OBP over .400

- 8 seasons with over 100 runs scored

- 10 seasons with over 200 hits

- 14 seasons with double digit SB

- 10 seasons with over 30 SB

- 5 seasons with over 40 SB

- 1 season with over 50 SB

Oh yeah, his glove was good enough that it won him 10 straight gold gloves and he has almost 3000 hits despite not entering MLB until he was 28.

I couldn't disagree more. What if the Orioles wanted to sell Manny to the Yankees for 20 million bucks? Would that be allowed? Not a chance. MLB blew it. This was their opportunity to completely get rid of the posting system and they caved. The Japanese team should receive zero dollars. I believe it takes 9 years to be a free agent in japan. If that is the rule then it should be the rule for everyone. They are in effect selling players for cash. That is a fact. If it is a Japanese players desire to play in the US then don't sign with a Japanese team. Go straight to the US, it is allowed. Suck it up in the minors like the rest of the US players.

1st bolded statement - That would be (an attempted) trade between 2 teams within MLB. Something that has nothing to do with, nor is comparable to, a transaction between 2 completely different league's (such as the posting system).

2nd bolded statement - That will never happen. The whole point of the posting system is to compensate the NPB team for giving up a player. What would be the point of them giving up one of their best players if they weren't getting anything in return? The only other possible way to compensate the NPB team that I can think of would be a trade of players ... something the MLBPA would never allow.

3rd bolded statement - So you're expecting high school / college aged players to drop everything and fly to a new country and hope that they'll be drafted or picked up as an UDFA? :confused: These aren't MiL players going through the posting system. They're veteran players that are in a league that's an Asian-equivalent to MLB.

I don't care what NPB does. I'm just saying what MLB should do. When players from Japan are free agents based on whatever system NPB has in place, they go into the draft. Where is the problem?

Well Japanese league wouldn't agree to it and top Japanese players would want more money than they would get from draft. So your idea wouldn't work at all.

The bottom line is, the players from Japan should go into the draft. Otherwise you have competitive balance issues. The goal should be to fix the systems. This was their chance in Japan. The whole international system is screwed up.

Ok when you are in control of the entire world you can do whatever you want. Until then you. have to negotiate.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Reports out of Japan this morning are that Rakuten won?t let Masahiro Tanaka go to the U.S. <a href="http://t.co/0jfZBws3X7">http://t.co/0jfZBws3X7</a></p>— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="

">December 19, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Reports out of Japan this morning are that Rakuten won?t let Masahiro Tanaka go to the U.S. <a href="http://t.co/0jfZBws3X7">http://t.co/0jfZBws3X7</a></p>? Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) <a href="
">December 19, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

There's going to be an uproar in Japan about that...

From what I've heard, Tanaka expressed desire to be posted to the US when he signed with Rakuten and the team verbally agreed to do so if he put up good numbers. He did and now they aren't honoring their intentions... that means big stuff in a culture like Japan...

That is simply crazy talk fro Duquette. What if it is a $20 million posting fee? At least its a known quantity. You just take it out of the contract your willing to offer the player.
Buster Olney, in a deleted tweet, said yesterday there was little reason for any of the 30 teams not to post since it's refundable and was good P.R. Make that 29 teams, Buster.

You hear that Pete, you get your money back. And as srock said, take it out OR just figure it into the contract of what you're paying the player. If the player costs 5/$100 then with the posting fee that takes it to $120mil.

The biggest blunder they're making though is this kid is 24. When is the last time you can remember seeing a FA available on the market at that age? He's one of the few guys I'd be willing to sign to a long term deal.

I heard him say the Orioles would not pay any posting fee. That they did not believe in the process.

I can understand feeling that way about the process but to eliminate yourself from a pool of talent because you don't like the rules seems foolish also.

Maybe I am seeing it all wrong...I dunno

Archived