As of Today, Are the 2014 Orioles Better than 2013?

TonySoprano

As of today we're about equal.

However, any improvement this team makes will be based on Wieters, Markakis, Gausman, Flaherty, and Reimold all having better seasons than last year. If those five players have even or worse results than last year, it won't matter who we add to the team, we won't be competitive.

As of today we are about equal in talent level. And as constructed today the team requires the players listed above to have better seasons than last year. But importantly we have cleared payroll and what we do with that will really determine our ceiling for 2014.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Davis .370

2. Valencia .335

3. McClouth .329

4. Markakis .329

5. Jones .318

6. Machado .314

7. BRob .312

8. Hardy .306

9. Flaherty .293

So far we have lost our 2nd, 3rd and 7th highest OBP players and replaced them with players likely to have a lower OBP. This is from a team that was already in the bottom half of the majors in OBP.

The Orioles continue to give lip service to OBP while trading high OBP guys (LJ Hoes, Valencia) and adding hackers (Lough).

Lough is the perfect storm, High K%, pathetically low BB% and no power to boot.

He is at best a 4th OF'er on a contender... and yet folks are excited to have him as presumably our starting LF'er

As of now the 2014 O's will score less runs than in 2013... team that up with a starting rotation that has not improved and....

I'd say we are about the same. Lose McLouth but add Lough. Lose JJ but add Balfour. Lose Feldman, but he is a #3 starter at best, not much better than Norris or Gausman. The big question marks are the health of Manny Machado and whether Chris Davis can repeat an MVP-level season. If both of those happen, then we are about the same as last year without any further additions. If we spend another 12-15 million on pitching we could be significantly improved. But if the injury affects Manny's performance and CD plays closer to his 2nd half numbers, then we will struggle to maintain last year's level even with another player or two.

Let us compare our opening day roster 2013 to what we have now:

C-same

1B-same

2B-Brian Roberts, now Ryan Flaherty

SS-same

3B-same

LF-Mclouth/Reimold, now Lough/Reimold

CF-same

RF-same

Bench: Casilla, Flaherty, Pearce and Mclouth/Reimold; now Weeks, Urrieta, Almanzer (I assume) and Pearce

SP-Tillman, Hammel, Arrieta, Chen, Gonzo (Although technically Tillman was on the DL, I have still included him); now Tillman, Norris, Chen, Gonzo, 5th starter competition (Gausman, Britton, S. Johnson, etc...)

RP-Johnson, Strop, Matusz, Hunter, Ayala, Patton, O'Day, McFarland; now-Balfour, Webb, Matusz, Patton, Hunter, O'Day, Cruz, Stinson (I'm not sure who wins the last spot or two in the pen.

So now, improved, the same or worse?

• 1 month later...
It's been almost two months since this was started and with pitchers and catchers reporting, what do you think now?

No, I don't think they are better, at least on paper. Much rides on whether Lough is as good as Dan and Buck seem to think, whether Flaherty is able to develop, and whether some pitchers step up.

It's been almost two months since this was started and with pitchers and catchers reporting, what do you think now?

They aren't better from a player lost/player acquired standpoint. They could be better if Markakis rebounds, Wieters improves, and Machado takes the next step to super-stardom. They can also benefit from a healthy years from Chen and Gonzalez.

But the team has missed an opportunity to augment the talent this offseason.

As of today we're about equal.

However, any improvement this team makes will be based on Wieters, Markakis, Gausman, Flaherty, and Reimold all having better seasons than last year. If those five players have even or worse results than last year, it won't matter who we add to the team, we won't be competitive.

Basically agree with this. Not any better not any worse.

No, I don't think they are better, at least on paper. Much rides on whether Lough is as good as Dan and Buck seem to think, whether Flaherty is able to develop, and whether some pitchers step up.

I'm focusing on Schoop, Urrutia, Gausman, Wright, and hopefully Rodriguez. If these guys can step in and help, we're a much different team this year. I'm praying Britton gets it together and breaks out.

Yes they will be an improved club with the roster they currently have.

First base will decline slightly simply because Davis will have a hard time reproducing those numbers.

Second base will be improved because we we'll hack continuity at the position for the first time in years.

Shortstop is a constant. What you see is what you get from JJ.

Third base, markedly improved. I look for Machado to continue to trend upward.

Left field markedly improved. IMO lough will be a better player then McClouth. He's way better defensively and he'll hit better too.

Center field. AJ will drive us crazy at times but he'll put up similar numbers to last year.

Right field. Markedly improved. Nick's bat and defense will return to form.

Catcher. Wieters Willet up similar numbers. His value will be how he handles the staff, especially Hunter at closer. Clevenger, our back up catcher will be much better.

DH. Improved I don't think we're done yet but Young and Urrutia works for now.

Starting pitching. Improved. Chen healthy more mature. Gonzalez, healthy, more mature. Tillman increased confidence. Norris healthy. Number five TBD. But if we have to go with what we have I like Gausman but wouldn't it be great if Matusz found himself again?

Bullpen. Improved. Webb, Aceves, will combine with returning to make this the strength of the team. I like Escalano as a dark horse. Also Yoon will help at the back end. Hunter is up to it.

Everyone keeps saying WE are about the same (which I agree with) but when others (especially in division) get better, we aren't going to see the same in the win column. It is a net loss.

So 85 probably goes to about 82 or so with the current contingent, being generous.

I guess it's just me but I don't see all the big significant improvements in the other teams in this division. The MFY spent the most money but they have a terrible IF and they are counting on CC, and Kuroda not to show the wear and years on their arms that we saw last season, plus Tonaka to quickly adjust to NYC and MLB and become a TOR. Right now Nava is their best SP. Also they have to hope that Robertson can close. BOS benefitted from career years from a bunch of role players last season. Will they have the same type of year this season? Can Poppy keep it up, juice or no? Do we really expect Lester, Bucholtz, and Lackey. all to be lights out again? The best thing TB did this offseason was not trade Price and that still could happen.

First base will decline slightly simply because Davis will have a hard time reproducing those numbers.

Second base will be improved because we we'll hack continuity at the position for thr first time in years.

Left field markedly improved. IMO lough will be a better player then McClouth. He's way better defensively and he'll hit better too.

Center field. AJ will drive us crazy at times but he'll put up similar numbers to last year.

Catcher. Wieters Willet up similar numbers. His value will be how he handles the staff, especially Hunter at closer. Clevenger, our back up catcher will be much better.

Starting pitching. Improved. Chen healthy more mature. Gonzalez, healthy, more mature. Tillman increased confidence.

Bullpen. Improved. Webb, Aceves, will combine with returning to make this the strength of the team. I like Escalano as a dark horse. Also Yoon will help at the back end. Hunter is up to it.

Starting pitching and bullpen will be better.

Second base will be improved because we we'll hack continuity at the position for the first time in years.

Starting pitching. Improved. Chen healthy more mature. Gonzalez, healthy, more mature. Tillman increased confidence. Norris healthy. Number five TBD. But if we have to go with what we have I like Gausman but wouldn't it be great if Matusz found himself again?

So you think the club improved it's starting pitching, it's bullpen, 2B, 3B, LF, RF, DH, and catcher and will be the same as last year at SS and CF? Considering they won 85 games last season, you must be figuring on what? 110 or 120 wins? Please be just a tiny bit more objective.

Archived