Per Gammons: "Orioles culture... back to reality."

MemorialStadKid

Well, not a Gammons fan, but you cannot deny any of this...

SOURCE: http://www.gammonsdaily.com/peter-gammons-balfour-physical-fiasco-brings-orioles-culture-back-to-reality/

But rather than pay Johnson the $10+M he?d get in arbitration, they dumped him to sign Grant Balfour for $3.5M less per season, then announced he flunked the club physical. And now, well, the Balfour ?physical? fiasco has brought that culture back to reality. To begin with, reality is that they need to do everything in 2014 and 2015 to try to get back into the playoffs, because at the end of the 2015 season Wieters and Davis are going to be free agents, and as Scott Boras clients, they leave Dan Duquette with two choices: play it out and try to get into the playoffs, or trade them off and try the long, slippery slide of rebuilding. The Cubs, for instance, discussed a Wieters?Jeff Samardzija deal, but decided against it because they have a better chance of signing Samardzija than they would Wieters.

Anyway, say they can get three players for Wieters. How will the Peter Angelos medicals impact the deal? On MLB radio Sunday, Jim Duquette recalled signings and deals that were killed in the past, from Jeromy Burnitz to Xavier Hernandez to Aaron Sele to Mike Lowell (that killed trade for A.J. Burnett and Lowell) and Paul Konerko. Friday, on MLB Network, Frank Wren recalled his days as Oriole GM and contended that when a deal was consummated and Angelos decided he didn?t like it, his way of reversing agreements was to pull out the medical card. Oh, if Pat Gillick would talk?

That's it right there.

Angelos didn't like the deal, and went out of his way to find a reason to cancel it.

The meddling is here to stay until Angelos goes.

MSK

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't wait for the kook aid drinkers to spin this

Oh, they'll be here. And act like what has transpired this offseason is acceptable. There are always people that think it's totally okay to have someone fail a physical after agreement, even though everyone else says the player is fine. And it is totally okay to not fix DH or the staring pitching when they are terrible. Guarantee we will see those posts soon and in full force.

Let me start off by reiterating my distaste for Peter Angelos as an owner. He has been nothing short of horrible and has left this team in a state of disrepair, that I'm not sure any front office person could EVER fix.

That being said, the full story on Balfour is not complete yet. I'm still having a tough time believing that Angelos is the one who shot this deal down. We have (apparently) very limited resources and the Orioles didn't feel that Balfour's physical was good enough to account for those "marbles".

These national writers can load up on the conjecture all they want. Truth is, we'll probably NEVER know the real story.

Oh, they'll be here. And act like what has transpired this offseason is acceptable. There are always people that think it's totally okay to have someone fail a physical after agreement, even though everyone else says the player is fine. And it is totally okay to not fix DH or the staring pitching when they are terrible. Guarantee we will see those posts soon and in full force.

We've already got two posts giving PA the benefit of the doubt. This is like Stockholm Syndrome. :confused:

MSK

Let me start off by reiterating my distaste for Peter Angelos as an owner. He has been nothing short of horrible and has left this team in a state of disrepair, that I'm not sure any front office person could EVER fix.

That being said, the full story on Balfour is not complete yet. I'm still having a tough time believing that Angelos is the one who shot this deal down. We have (apparently) very limited resources and the Orioles didn't feel that Balfour's physical was good enough to account for those "marbles".

These national writers can load up on the conjecture all they want. Truth is, we'll probably NEVER know the real story.

In the end, does it really matter what the truth is? For PR disasters like this, perception is more important then reality... and the perception is now that Angelos constantly backs out of deals he has already agreed to and theres a risk for free agents to now sign with the Orioles due to that.

Which is why I don't like him.

But I doubt Jim Duquette and Frank Wren are.

Mike Lowell and Burnett? Jesus.

Angelos has no desire to win, only to line his pockets. What other evidence is needed at this point?

MSK

This is not news MSK. Lowell was a walking (limping) time bomb with that hip of his.

I think Gammons is wrong here. PGA would have had to sign off on the deal before the physical and besides, it was a solid deal financially. I just think the Orioles physical is a lot strenuous than other clubs that's a damn shame. Are they overly cautious? We will find out.

Gammons is a Red Sox hack.

OK, and Rosenthal has a beef with the O's because he used to work at the Sun. And Jim Duquette from his time as GM. And Wren is speaking out because he used to be GM. And Schmuck because he's worked at the Sun so long. etc, etc, etc.

Let me put it like this, can you find anyone who formerly worked for the Orioles or the local media who doesn't have a foul taste from their experience with Angelos? Maybe MacPhail? I think MacPhail and Gillick are the only GMs that Angelos allowed to do their job with limited interference.

Which is why I don't like him.

But I doubt Jim Duquette and Frank Wren are.

Mike Lowell and Burnett? Jesus.

Angelos has no desire to win, only to line his pockets. What other evidence is needed at this point?

MSK

I agree with your PGA comment, the Orioles have to win spite of him.

Archived