Per Gammons: "Orioles culture... back to reality."

MemorialStadKid

Yup. Either that or he was trying to use the medical report to get the agent to lower the already agreed upon dollar amount. Either way, this stinks of Angelos' meddling. Frank Wren's comments ring true. The organization is set to failure mode as long as the Angelos family interferes with the professionals.

Did they do this? I thought they were countering with the same money, but with the second year coming on a vested option, rather than being guaranteed. Did I miss something?

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it was Angelos, that's not good for the Orioles' internal processes. I do agree with Gammons that it is not good for their PR process to be announcing deals before the physical, especially if there is a chance that a borderline physical can cause them to back out. That is unfair to Balfour and also gets the fans upset by getting their hopes up. It would be better to announce nothing until the deal is signed and executed, but unfortunately in this Twitter age information gets out.

Still, I am going to withhold judgment on the result. Even if Balfour is 100%, $7.5 million a year is a lot. If there is any question about his health, it is reasonable to void the deal. I don't know why people are holding Burnitz and Hernandez against the Orioles. Both those guys ended up flaming out for other teams after the Orioles reconsidered. They are a case in point why teams have very right to pull a deal when health concerns come up. Bailey? Chris Perez? I am glad the Orioles have not signed those guys; if they did, I would want them to scrutinize their medical condition. I don't see why the O's should be expected to execute a contract that they haven't made yet. That is the whole point of saying "pending physical".

Gammons has an agenda to cultivate love from the players, so it makes sense that he would complain about the Orioles' negotiating tactics.

Wasn't MacPhail was hired because he was/is a "Yes" man??

One of the qualifications of years past to be the Orioles GM you had to be a "Yes" man and do whatever Petey says.

Not so much a yes man per se, imo. I think his ideas for running a club more closely matched PA's. No big FAs. I think that's why it seemed like he had less PA interference.

Which is why I ask if you can find anyone who formerly worked for Angelos (can't blame Roch for wanting to keep his job.....and I think he's kept a good balance, calling him a shill is unfair).

He is on MASN rantinog about all the doctors against the Orioles are biased. Hello Roch you are biased.

Well, we know that's not true because Angelos nixed a deal Gillick made and then told Gillick to go for it. Gillick than made the trades that got the Orioles to the playoffs but he left shortly there after. MacPhail got some autonomy, more than most, but he too was unable to firing certain people in the organization of solve the player development vs scouting battle he had in the organization due to "untouchables" in player development and international scouting.

Gillick also was able to spend on FAs more than any other GM. Personally, I think the early success PA had under Gillick was part of his undoing. His stance on the players strike gave him cred, he had a packed new marvel of a stadium, a winning team and a cash cow. I think he got even cockier than the guy he had been before and he never allowed himself to believe he wasn't the smartest guy in the room at any point after. At no point in the past 20 years would we have been worse off with almost anyone else as owner. But I do believe it's accurate to say that Gillick and MacPhail had the least interference of any GMs (should pick words more carefully). I also think even they had too much interference. Angelos to me is a guy who thinks all of his successes are his creation and all his failures are someone else's making. There's no fixing him.

Well, not a Gammons fan, but you cannot deny any of this...

SOURCE: http://www.gammonsdaily.com/peter-gammons-balfour-physical-fiasco-brings-orioles-culture-back-to-reality/

That's it right there.

Angelos didn't like the deal, and went out of his way to find a reason to cancel it.

The meddling is here to stay until Angelos goes.

MSK

I think every fan knew this was a Peter move.

I guess it is a little better. Still two pitching coaches leave in the middle of the year .both for personal reasons. Juan Samuel left the Orioles over a few thousand bucks. Hardy would like to play for the Orioles and asked for an extension Duquette says about Hardy's asking for a possible extension with the Orioles. We will discuss it sometime in January. What January who knows?

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2011/06/a_little_more_on_the_orioles_p_1.html

"Frank Wren recalled his days as Oriole GM and contended that when a deal was consummated and Angelos decided he didn?t like it, his way of reversing agreements was to pull out the medical card"

There you go. Now who is to argue with this?

Archived