Who are you willing to trade for real improvement?

Hallas

I disagree with this - I think if we trade those three or Gausman it would be a short sighted move. I don't think you replace top prospects that easily. I would rather keep those guys and try to sign 1-2 free agents that might give us a bridge to when those guys are helping our squad.

I wouldn't trade Gausman.

As for the others, none of them are sure-fire all stars. The exceptions to my strategy are self-evident. There is no chance I would have traded a Mike Trout or a Bryce Harper because both of them had made it plainly obvious that they were going to be at worst solid above-average regulars with a chance for stardom. For prospects like EdRod and Schoop, they are not good enough to be in that category. For Bundy, he may be that good but he is also injured.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't trade Gausman.

As for the others, none of them are transcendent prospects. The exceptions to my strategy are self-evident. There is no chance I would have traded a Mike Trout or a Bryce Harper because both of them had made it plainly obvious that they were going to be at worst solid above-average regulars with a chance for stardom. For prospects like EdRod and Schoop, they are not good enough to be in that category. For Bundy, he may be that good but he is also injured.

OK - I am with you on EdRod (though it would have to be a very good deal) and Schoop...but I really think Bundy is worth holding on to.

OK - I am with you on EdRod (though it would have to be a very good deal) and Schoop...but I really think Bundy is worth holding on to.

They aren't gonna trade anyone. They are giving us just enough to win 70-75 games to keep us happy. Duquette won't take any risks. He is just buying time to job ship when the opportunity arises. It will be a happy day for me when he goes bye bye.

We are obviously not going to sign any great SP, LF, RF, or second base. I say we trade Davis, Weiters, Hardy, O'Day and fill the prospect funnel. Maybe grab some blocked players with real upside(how we got Davis), and some solid prospects. Let it hurt for a year or two and then have a solid team for years to come. With our current team we wont lose enough to get a good draft pick and wont win enough to get us deep into the playoffs or maybe not even the playoffs. Add some really nice pieces or blow it up. 2016, 17 and 18 would really tell you what kind of club we root for. Those of you that dont want to revamp and say spend the money we wont spend are probably the types that hold on to a dieing business too long or who have never dipped their toes into the business owning pool. We can argue all day that their is money to spend, but it doesnt matter if it never does get spent.

Man I would unload Weiters IMHO there is NO WAY we re-sign him

IMO, No way we should re-sign him For the amount of money he will want. He is a big man, Who likely will not be able to catch much longer. Shows no indication that he will be a be a quality hitter at another position, as his numbers have decreased each of the last three seasons. His bat appears slow, even early in the season. I would trade him while he still has value.

Everybody not named Manny Machado

We don't have enough pitching to trade away any of them. Gausman was a rookie and needs more work. I want to see Bundy when he comes back from TJ surgery.

You have to be careful if you are trading. If trying to take a step forward you don't

want to take two steps back. IMO

We don't have enough pitching to trade away any of them. Gausman was a rookie and needs more work. I want to see Bundy when he comes back from TJ surgery.

You have to be careful if you are trading. If trying to take a step forward you don't

I just think anybody could be had for a price, except Manny, unless it's for like Trout. Unfortunately I still do not trust DD in finding that price for guys.

We are obviously not going to sign any great SP, LF, RF, or second base. I say we trade Davis, Weiters, Hardy, O'Day and fill the prospect funnel. Maybe grab some blocked players with real upside(how we got Davis), and some solid prospects. Let it hurt for a year or two and then have a solid team for years to come. With our current team we wont lose enough to get a good draft pick and wont win enough to get us deep into the playoffs or maybe not even the playoffs. Add some really nice pieces or blow it up. 2016, 17 and 18 would really tell you what kind of club we root for. Those of you that dont want to revamp and say spend the money we wont spend are probably the types that hold on to a dieing business too long or who have never dipped their toes into the business owning pool. We can argue all day that their is money to spend, but it doesnt matter if it never does get spent.

Spot on. Blow it up so hopefully a new owner will have a good farm system. There is no point. The Orioles are not willing to take things to the level required to win anything.

The problem is there is no player we could trade for who wouldn't cost us more than we would get in return. We just don't have the extra chips. Trade Davis and Wieters if you want to go back to rebuilding, but forget about the playoffs the next 5 years, or more.

Trading Weiters would not keep us from the playoffs IMO.

Without adding solid additional starting pitching, we are 5 years out now.

Agreed, but you can't play in the middle either and that's EXACTLY what they are doing.

You trade those players then the team is taking steps backward. You seem to be

three and fours from now. Well hell I may not be around then. It may sound weird

to you but I would rather see playoffs for the team than be the Cubs. Even if they

didn't get in the WS in the four or five years.

You trade those players then the team is taking steps backward. You seem to be

three and fours from now. Well hell I may not be around then. It may sound weird

to you but I would rather see playoffs for the team than be the Cubs. Even if they

didn't get in the WS in the four or five years.

If we don't get what we need to make the WS in the next two years, the Cubs will get there before us.

Archived