Orioles/ Mets talking Ike Davis

SilentJames

Duquette said he has happy with our starters! That comment alone tells me what to expect from him. Please don't tell me he said that as to not offend the current group of starters either, that's a load of crap, they know they were: 28th in ERA last year.....

This line of thinking is ridiculous. Dan knows where they placed among pitching statistics. If he was to say the Orioles are in dire need of better pitching then he'd be giving up any kind of negotiating power with teams and agents. Of course the Orioles staff is a mess but for Duquette to admit it publicly would just be dumb.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like even last year he had very OBP against right handers. His career numbers against Righties is .

256 .356 .471 .827

Those should improve from going from a very pitcher friendly park to a very hitter friendly park. I mean he is terrible againt lefties but he could be a decent platoon guy at DH.

But he's coming back from Valley Fever which makes it somewhat questionable to use those numbers. Conor Jackson was a pretty solid player prior to the illness but was never able to fully recover. My understanding is that his case is not terribly uncommon.

Hence the reason the Mets are so desperately trying to move him despite hitting 32 HRs in 2012, IMO.

Looks like even last year he had very OBP against right handers. His career numbers against Righties is .

256 .356 .471 .827

Those should improve from going from a very pitcher friendly park to a very hitter friendly park. I mean he is terrible againt lefties but he could be a decent platoon guy at DH.

The only way that is acceptable is if we give up something like Buck Britton.

I hear you, but that was unequivocal. To state that something is against your organizational philosophy - that's something you don't go back on.

But he said that before the new posting system. He has now gone on record as saying this new 20 Million dollar system is much more fair to the small and mid market teams. If he were to sign Tanaka, and I am not holding my breathe, that is what he would hang his hat on.

I'd give them Britton for Davis just to provide maneuvering room on the 25 man, and I don't care about depth concerns. Britton flat out stinks, especially post injury. Easily replaceable and should be improved upon.

Also, while it's worth asking the Mets to chip in some money $3.5 mil is not much money compared to the market. Would rather overpay for $3.5 mil for a serviceable player than $12 mil for an above-average player.

Now that I think about it, why would the Mets want Britton? Stupid me. :laughlol:

If the Orioles see value in Davis moving to the AL then the Mets want value in return. Give 'em McFarland or somebody.

I'd give them Matusz if they were willing to kick in some money now that we have a wealth of LHP.

Ike Davis, both of the past two years, has started the season flat awful. Two years ago he was sick with valley fever but last year there was no such excuse.

Even when he hit 32 HRs, he wasn't very good. OBP of .308, OPS of .771, no speed, and lousy enough defense to be worth only 0.9 WAR that season.

However, comments like this are pretty offbase. He had a 954 OPS last season post-ASB (40 games), with a 449 OBP during that period . 888 OPS two seasons ago post-ASB (75 games). 346 OBP. I don't know what the issue is behind his immense struggles to start the past few seasons but the talent is there.

However, he's never been any good against LHP.

I've never understood the point of parsing a guy's season and saying, look, over 41 games, he was great. You could pick a few weeks every year where Mark Reynolds hits like Babe Ruth. Of course Ike Davis has "the talent;" so does everyone who makes it into the major leagues for even an inning.

Except for the 7 games he lost, Chris Tillman was 16-0.

There's a difference between throwing out bad games or picking a hot stretch, and looking at how a player played over the second half. In the latter case, you can say perhaps he was just getting over a serious illness, or perhaps he successfully made adjustments. I know last year they sent him down to the minors early on because of his struggles. He dominated down there and when they brought him back up he continued hitting well.

I think it's important to remember this is a guy who had an 797 OPS average from his 23 age season through his 25 age season, and that includes the time he was going through valley fever. He had an awful first half of 2013 but finished strong... The information points more to him being a good player than an average or poor one, in my opinion.

26 year old designated hitter only who hit .661 last year; .768 career.

And he's arb-eligible and made $3.1M last season.

I'd trade Bennett Parry for him? Eddie Gamboa? Trent Mummey? Assuming the Mets are kicking in some money, also.

I think you get the idea.

No WAY I give up Mummey for Davis! Unless, as you say, they're kicking back some cash in return. In fact, they'd have to pay all of Davis's salary and pay for the upkeep on Tom Davis's Hawaiian-shirt collection.

Archived