PBT ranks baseballs worst off-seasons

sambowen

I don't understand the "offseason isn't over yet" comments. What's wrong with judging things up until a certain point? We do that anyway during the season. If we were 20 games under .500 at the halfway point I guarantee you there wouldn't be many posters on here saying "Well it's not over yet!" Nope, we'd be all whining about what a horrible season it's been.

Well, it's not quite the same. Early season games actually count in the standings. Winning some games late in the season won't rescue your season if you lost too many games early on. In contrast, having a successful offseason only depends on who you sign/acquire, not when you acquired them. In theory, the O's could still put themselves in position to contend in 2014--for instance, they could sign Arroyo, Rodney and Cruz (not that I'd agree with signing Cruz, but he'd certainly improve the O's lineup in the short term).

It's not too soon to say that good options are dwindling, and it's not too soon to say that what we've seen and heard so far doesn't inspire much confidence for the rest of the offseason.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The offseason is over when pitchers and catchers report. By then, most free agents have found a team.

True. Most hitters of any consequence have found a home by now though. There is some starting pitching available but we've announced we're not competing for Tanaka and the 3 other most attractive starters will cost us our 1st round pick which combined with the $ almost certain to be involved makes them a less attractive option.

We could make a trade anytime but again, as teams meet their needs and fill their rosters, trades become more complicated.

We'll see how it ends but I think most of us believe we'll add a reliever and maybe a 2nd rate starter and be left to cross our fingers and toes.

True. Most hitters of any consequence have found a home by now though. There is some starting pitching available but we've announced we're not competing for Tanaka and the 3 other most attractive starters will cost us our 1st round pick which combined with the $ almost certain to be involved makes them a less attractive option.

We could make a trade anytime but again, as teams meet their needs and fill their rosters, trades become more complicated.

We'll see how it ends but I think most of us believe we'll add a reliever and maybe a 2nd rate starter and be left to cross our fingers and toes.

Garza, Arroyo, Burnett and Hammel won't cost a pick.

Serious question - when do you consider the offseason "over?"

Late February or when most of the talented players are off the marketplace?

I always feel that the offseason is over once there's no one left who can enhance the club's chances at a championship run.

Right now, I don't believe the door is shut, but we're like 85% of the way there.

MSK

I do think some good options have been foreclosed, but there are a number of players we could acquire who would significantly change how our offseason is judged, so I prefer to wait before handing out a grade. Let's revisit this thread right before ST begins and review what changed, if anything.

I do think some good options have been foreclosed, but there are a number of players we could acquire who would significantly change how our offseason is judged, so I prefer to wait before handing out a grade. Let's revisit this thread right before ST begins and review what changed, if anything.
Just curious, what options do you think have been foreclosed? I would have liked Morrison or Hart, Balfour, possibly Beltran.

The Orioles won 85 games last season. They did that after finishing with a losing record in August and September (26-28), a losing record on the road (39-42), a losing record against the American League East (36-40) and a losing record in one-run games (20-31).

The 2013 Orioles finished 10th in the American League in team ERA and 12th in starting pitcher ERA. That team's closer suffered nine blown saves, the O's had a late six-game losing streak and they didn't hit much at all during the last month.

They still won 85 games.

Keep that in mind before you predict 72 wins for the coming season.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2014/01/are-dire-predictions-going-to-come-true-for-the-orioles.html

When Steve phoned this one in, do you think he had a hangover or not?

I'd guess not because when I'm hungover I don't go around looking for silver linings or write too-cute-by-half columns trying to gloss over the fact that the inaction coming from the Warehouse at this point is simply impossible to ignore or successfully spin.

Fed up with ownership? No not me, not at all...

When Steve phoned this one in, do you think he had a hangover or not?

I'd guess not because when I'm hungover I don't go around looking for silver linings or write too-cute-by-half columns trying to gloss over the fact that the inaction coming from the Warehouse at this point is simply impossible to ignore or successfully spin.

Fed up with ownership? No not me, not at all...

[video=youtube;5vIIZydXDqg]

:noidea:

Garza, Arroyo, Burnett and Hammel won't cost a pick.

I said I could see us add a 2nd rate starter and Arroyo and Hammel both fit that description for me. There has been nothing to suggest we'd pay Garza's price tag.

I suppose Burnett could decide he wants to play and could decide to give us a shot and we could decide to meet his price and he could be good back in the AL East where he wasn't so good the last time around.

Right, I'm fairly comfortable rating our offseason assuming some 2nd rate starter.

I said I could see us add a 2nd rate starter and Arroyo and Hammel both fit that description for me. There has been nothing to suggest we'd pay Garza's price tag.

I suppose Burnett could decide he wants to play and could decide to give us a shot and we could decide to meet his price and he could be good back in the AL East where he wasn't so good the last time around.

Right, I'm fairly comfortable rating our offseason assuming some 2nd rate starter.

Anyone who can give you 200 IP in 8 out of the last 9 seasons is hardly second rate in my book. And we have no idea what Garza's price would be yet.

So they brought back their first baseman on a team friendly deal and added Heath Bell, who it is rumored they may flip, and Ryan Hanigan and his 58 OPS+. What a coup :cool:

It's not about coups, or big splashes, or whatever. It's about maximum return for your available resources. This quote from that article basically sums up what makes a good offseason:

"The Rays adequately addressed all of their needs and didn?t get bogged down by a big, expensive contract as is their habit. A pretty standard, productive off-season for them."

Archived