Post up your Memorial Stadium experiences.

BamaOsFan

My favorite O's memory was Fred Lynn coming up in the 9th, and we were losing. I told all of my buddies that he was going to hit a walk off, and they all gave me crap. A few seconds later, the ball went zinging past our heads, and we won.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite memory of Memorial Stadium was a Sunday May 6, 1973, game my Dad took me to see. We had picked the game because Frank Robinson was my favorite player and he was returning to Baltimore as DH for the California Angels. As it turned out, the pitching match up was two future HOFers - Jim Palmer versus Nolan Ryan. Frank Robinson hit a double and the O's won the game game 5-0, so it was good all around. After the game I stood outside Memorial Stadium hoping for an autograph. Paul Blair was kind enough to sign my program (which I still have). After he signed it, I was so excited, and not wanting the moment to end, that a minute or so later I handed the program back to Paul Blair, which he commenced signing again until he realized he already had autographed my program, thus leaving half a signature – a second “Paul” - on the front cover.

My favorite O's memory was Fred Lynn coming up in the 9th, and we were losing. I told all of my buddies that he was going to hit a walk off, and they all gave me crap. A few seconds later, the ball went zinging past our heads, and we won.

Didn't he hit walkoff homers for the O's on two consecutive nights?

May of 1985. First game was tied, the second game the O's were down by a run. [video=dailymotion;xcgwc7]
for some Memorial Stadium flashbacks (including Jon Miller).

Wow, I remember those! But I was watching replays over AFKN (Armed Forces Korea Network) in Seoul and it really made me miss being in Baltimore. The people around me were amazed at how excited I got. (Just to clarify, I wasn't a soldier: AFKN was one of the channels viewable to anyone there.)

My first pro game was a double header in 1975 with my Dad (no older brother, no Mom). Do you remember that first time you walk up through the tunnel to your seat and that vast stretch of green hits your eye? Fantastic moment. Reggie played both games and Brooks laid down a bunt hit in the second game. I think this was the game where the Bee hit a foul into the stands at BP right next to us, but I didn't know I could just go run and get it. It was there for 10 seconds before someone else came and got it. We had a drunk guy sitting behind us who wouldn't stop talking to us.

There for the Tippy 3 pickoff game.

Bob Milacki rolled a ball across the dugout to me in '89.

Plenty of games where I would go by myself and sit in the bleachers for something like 5 bucks and eat the best food in the world.

I only got to go to one game a season as a kid, and that was through my mom's work.

The last baseball game I remember going to there was against the Twins (I think) during Bat Day, where they gave everyone full size wooden bats.

I wish I hadn't ruined that bat. I can't even imagine 20,000 people walking around the Inner Harbor these days with full-size wooden bats.

I was too young to remember the traffic but it's hard to imagine a better place for a ballpark than where Camden Yards now is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first game was in 1981 when the Orioles played the A's. John Lowenstein and Terry Crowley hit back to back home runs and Al Bumbry robbed someone (I believe Dwayne Murphy) of a home run. The next year I saw Jim Palmer pitch a one hit shutout against the Twins. I saw a game in 1985 against the White Sox when Fred Lynn hit a three run homer to win the game.

ED-DIE! ED-DIE! ED-DIE!

The orange tractor that smoothed the infield before the game and the guys who used to pull the metal grates in the middle of the game.

Cal Sr. giving the windmill at 3rd base to send runners home

309 down each line.

General Admission

"Popping" Paper Cups

The amazing Mezzanine section. It was like a cave in there.

The music, for better and for worse:

America - You Can Do Magic

Chicago - Saturday in the Park

Yesterday (they alternated -- sometimes the Beatles and Stevie Wonder) while showing highlights from around the league on the "DiamondVision" scoreboard

Steeley Dan - Do it Again

So many specific games:

Boddicker's 1983 playoff game. I feel like he struck out all 27 guys. Dempsey was going crazy.

The night in 1988 when after the O's started 0-21, the place was filled and we finally won.

Any game in 1989 when Greg Olsen entered to "Wild Thing"

Devo's walk off in '89

My dad was a city po-lice. Used to take me to the games he worked and I would just sit wherever there was room, including Game 1 in 1983. I had never seen the place so packed.

At around age 12 or so I just started riding my bike down there and walking in. Never got hassled at all.

A buddy's dad who wrote for UPI would take Rusty and I and we would sit in the empty NFL press box. That was pretty cool. The concessions were always stocked in there for some reason.

Friends of the family had season tickets for the four seats just inside the right field foul pole for a few years. To this day it's my favorite place to sit in an MLB stadium.

Saw the Real Colts play there, but I was too young to remember anything but the cold.

Went to several Turkey Bowls and always loved the big open stadium with only a few thousand people in it.

My first pro game was a double header in 1975 with my Dad (no older brother, no Mom). Do you remember that first time you walk up through the tunnel to your seat and that vast stretch of green hits your eye? Fantastic moment. Reggie played both games and Brooks laid down a bunt hit in the second game. I think this was the game where the Bee hit a foul into the stands at BP right next to us, but I didn't know I could just go run and get it. It was there for 10 seconds before someone else came and got it. We had a drunk guy sitting behind us who wouldn't stop talking to us.

There for the Tippy 3 pickoff game.

Bob Milacki rolled a ball across the dugout to me in '89.

Plenty of games where I would go by myself and sit in the bleachers for something like 5 bucks and eat the best food in the world.

Cool. Tippy was interviewed about this game, after his career was over and he said the ball park was pretty empty that game.

My 10th Birthday in May of 1984. Storm Davis on the hill, everyone chanting STORM STORM STORM STORM!! The game ended in the bottom of the 9th, Cal Jr on 3rd and Eddie on 1st, Fred Lynn stepped up and hit a walk off HR.

Hi-Fives everywhere, people in the neighborhood were out on their stoops cheering, that night made me an O's fan for life, I hope we get that feeling back again.

I was born in 1985, and they stopped playing baseball at Memorial Stadium in 1991, so whatever memories I have of the place are either buried deep in my mind, I can't remember them because I was too young, or, I didn't sit still long enough to appreciate them because, as my parents will say, they could sit me down at a ball game by giving me a bag of peanuts. Not that I would have missed much, considering that 85-91 period was a very dark one in terms of winning baseball. I do, however, have other kinds of memories of Memorial Stadium. That image of us driving south down Loch Raven Blvd. and getting closer, and seeing the stadium get bigger and bigger the further we went. I remember how walking up the ramps to the upper deck felt like climbing Mt. Everest, this sparkly stuff in the concrete of those ramps and the strong smell of the stadium, and then once we got to our seats in the upper deck, how the seats felt so steep and I was always terrified I was going to fall off. And of course, that wonderful memorial. Memorial Stadium was not an aesthetically beautiful stadium, but the memorial is what made it. What they have done outside of Camden Yards is nice, but it will never compare to the entire thing.

The main on field memories I have actually came after the Orioles left. One was a CFL game in 1995, probably and unknowingly for me right before the announcement of the move, which was pretty well attended for a Canadian league and it ended up raining cats and dogs at one point, and more importantly, the last game against the then Tennessee Oilers in 1997, the last event ever at Memorial Stadium. I went with my dad and brother, and we had my grandfather's seats, because for some reason he didn't go. It was really cold that day, one of the coldest football games I've ever been to. The Ravens won, they had the special thing afterwards where the old Colts ran one last formation and Lenny Moore ran into the end zone, and at some point, probably before the game was over, people started taking the seats apart. I mean kicking, stomping, pulling seats apart, trying to rip the whole thing off the foundation. Since everyone else was doing it, we did the same thing, thinking we'd keep part of one seat for ourselves and give the other to my grandfather. As we left there was even a pile of seat pieces just sitting outside the gate that people were taking, but as soon as we got passed that we saw people being arrested. We ended up being fine, and we did give one seat piece to my grandfather, and kept one home in the attic. It was one of those crazy moments you don't forget.

Archived