Its now 2014 and we haven't made any notable moves

AlbionHero

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Burnett would get lit up in the AL East. After the way the Orioles treated Balfour, do you seriously believe he'd ever sit down at the table with them again? To trade for something of value you have to trade value. They'll keep shopping at "Dollar Store" and will keep overvaluing their prospects. (See Arrieta, Erbe, Matusz and Britton.)

Burnett is supposed to be better than when he pitched for the Yankees because his sinker makes him more a ground ball pitchers. Should work in the AL East as well.

I have only really heard the Yankees as a suitor for Balfour and they have Robertson to close. Dodgers are likely to get Tanaka which means the Yankees may try to stay under the 189M mark. That would not be good for the Yanks signing Balfour. Stay tuned.

Balfour would probably rather take a 1 year deal from the Yankees at this point to set up, if he's going to have to settle. Show he's healthy, and he will get a 2 year deal next winter. Clubs know he can close and set up men get nice deals too. See Benoit.

Unlikely.

My plan has nothing to do with signing Tanaka. Thats not a realistic expectation. I would however be pushing hard for guys like Garza, Jimenez, Arroyo, and guys like Johan Santana or Jeff Nieman. Guys that will become more attractive once Tanaka is off the table. I imagine Garza and Jimenez will wait out the Tanaka saga, but Bronson Arroyo and Johan Santana could be had now. It seems the Orioles are content waiting around for Burnett to start collecting retirement or not.

This is my biggest concern--they wait around for Burnett to make up his mind, and when he decides to retire the O's will only be left with table scraps and the dreaded "internal options."

My plan has nothing to do with signing Tanaka. Thats not a realistic expectation. I would however be pushing hard for guys like Garza, Jimenez, Arroyo, and guys like Johan Santana or Jeff Nieman. Guys that will become more attractive once Tanaka is off the table. I imagine Garza and Jimenez will wait out the Tanaka saga, but Bronson Arroyo and Johan Santana could be had now. It seems the Orioles are content waiting around for Burnett to start collecting retirement or not.
What makes you think they aren't pushing hard. But none of those guys want to sign before Tanaka sets the market for them. Santana and Neiman are jokes. I'd rather have Hammel back.

Burnett is supposed to be better than when he pitched for the Yankees because his sinker makes him more a ground ball pitchers. Should work in the AL East as well.

I have only really heard the Yankees as a suitor for Balfour and they have Robertson to close. Dodgers are likely to get Tanaka which means the Yankees may try to stay under the 189M mark. That would not be good for the Yanks signing Balfour. Stay tuned.

Paying 7M for Balfour next season won't put them over the 189 mark. And from what I've heard the MFY aren't all that keen on Robertson as CL. They like him better at set up.

I am very disappointed with this offseason, as I was last offseason. I am not a DD fan at all, and I think we are headed back to sub .500 baseball starting this year. That said, I consider the addition of David Lough and upgrade in LF over McClouth so I will say we have made one significant move this off season. Now, we also took a significant step back with the salary dump of Jim Johnson, so overall its still a stinker of an off season.

I am very disappointed with this offseason, as I was last offseason. I am not a DD fan at all, and I think we are headed back to sub .500 baseball starting this year. That said, I consider the addition of David Lough and upgrade in LF over McClouth so I will say we have made one significant move this off season. Now, we also took a significant step back with the salary dump of Jim Johnson, so overall its still a stinker of an off season.

How could anyone say Lough is an upgrade at this point? He has done nothing that says he's definitely an upgrade over McLouth. It could happen but I will believe it when I see it. Lough tanking is more likely than him being better than McLouth.

Hang on for the ride ;)

It's almost 6. Did we sign someone with a big name? I really think we should do hourly new threads in the New Year to remind us all just how poorly we have played this off season. And how we are going to lose like we did last off season.

How could anyone say Lough is an upgrade at this point? He has done nothing that says he's definitely an upgrade over McLouth. It could happen but I will believe it when I see it. Lough tanking is more likely than him being better than McLouth.

Really? Why do you say that? He was better than Nate last year. Why wouldn't he be better than him this year?

Really? Why do you say that? He was better than Nate last year. Why wouldn't he be better than him this year?

He only played 96 games. How could he be better than Nate? My opinion is because Lough has never played a full season, and the O's track record with these types of things point to failure rather than success.

Nate had a long history of success in MLB. It was no surprise he was good.

Archived