Its now 2014 and we haven't made any notable moves

AlbionHero

He only played 96 games. How could he be better than Nate? My opinion is because Lough has never played a full season, and the O's track record with these types of things point to failure rather than success.

Nate had a long history of success in MLB. It was no surprise he was good.

Nate was a high-priced failure in Atlanta in 2010 and 2011, and a bust back in Pittsburgh in 2012 before they released him and he signed a minor league deal. His 2012 performance with the O's took everyone by surprise. But, he only played a total of 89 ML games in 2012 between the 2 teams. Last year he appeared in 146 games and was not very good after April.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nate was a high-priced failure in Atlanta in 2010 and 2011, and a bust back in Pittsburgh in 2012 before they released him and he signed a minor league deal. His 2012 performance with the O's took everyone by surprise. But, he only played a total of 89 ML games in 2012 between the 2 teams. Last year he appeared in 146 games and was not very good after April.

Before that Nate won MVP in PIT and hit over 20 bombs multiple times. How was he a bust in PIT? When has Lough done anything close to what Nate has done?

Nate failed after his great success but I always suspected he could come back. Why should I feel Lough will do anything? This is a no confidence signing. Another "hope and change" candidate. Zing another Obama joke!

Yes. Wait for Tanaka to sign with the Dodgers or Yankees, then fight the other 10 teams that didn't get Tanaka for the Garzas and Arroyos of the world. Solid plan.

I thought you would or were numb to it and be content with whatever happens.

Happy New Year.

Before that Nate won MVP in PIT and hit over 20 bombs multiple times. How was he a bust in PIT? When has Lough done anything close to what Nate has done?

Nate failed after his great success but I always suspected he could come back. Why should I feel Lough will do anything? This is a no confidence signing. Another "hope and change" candidate. Zing another Obama joke!

I'd say his .385 OPS in Pittsburgh at the start of 2012 qualified Nate as a failure in his return to Pittsburgh. That's why they released him and the O's were able to sign him to a minor league deal.

As I said in another thread, Lough is not an improvement over McClouth at his best, he replaces the McClouth we saw last year... the one who wasn't very good. I don't see Lough as an MVP candidate any time soon, but he will be an upgrade over what we got out of Nate last year if he performs as well as he did in his rookie season. I was hoping we'd find a better replacement, but he should provide great defense.

Nothing is guaranteed. Feelings don't count (except Bucks). Your joke isn't funny.

I'd say his .385 OPS in Pittsburgh at the start of 2012 qualified Nate as a failure in his return to Pittsburgh. That's why they released him and the O's were able to sign him to a minor league deal.

As I said in another thread, Lough is not an improvement over McClouth at his best, he replaces the McClouth we saw last year... the one who wasn't very good. I don't see Lough as an MVP candidate any time soon, but he will be an upgrade over what we got out of Nate last year if he performs as well as he did in his rookie season. I was hoping we'd find a better replacement, but he should provide great defense.

Nothing is guaranteed. Feelings don't count (except Bucks). Your joke isn't funny.

Nate was essentially Lew Ford when we got him.

Nate was released by Pit the second time they signed him. They traded for him for the defense he showed in his rookie season last year. He does have some upside if given the opportunity.

[video=youtube;8zk83vKfO7A]

[video=youtube;KAo6ClkRDfg]

[video=youtube;aIrV8SUhW70]

[video=youtube;4U8pxnjnrZc]

More here.

And here.

Why in the world are people suggesting Balfour? Bridges are burned! Give it up people..

Happy 2014 and yes, I am confident most of us on this board would have done a better job improving this team. Disgusting.

You are very sure of that are you? I sure couldn't do better than Dan. Maybe you

could but I know I sure couldn't.

Yes but the whole point is Nate had a track record that proved he was capable. I am supposed to think Lough is suddenly going to hit 20 bombs in his first full season? Give me a break. Most likely he will be decent but not great.

Nate was released by Pit the second time they signed him. They traded for him for the defense he showed in his rookie season last year. He does have some upside if given the opportunity.

Where is the offense? Lough is great at defense. When is the last time a contending team had an all defense LF? This is no joke, the Orioles are right there and not doing anything. Really ticks me off!

Yes but the whole point is Nate had a track record that proved he was capable. I am supposed to think Lough is suddenly going to hit 20 bombs in his first full season? Give me a break. Most likely he will be decent but not great.

He won't be great. Nate isn't either.

Where is the offense? Lough is great at defense. When is the last time a contending team had an all defense LF and contended? This is no joke, the Orioles are right there and not doing anything. Really ticks me off!
Lough may well out perform McLouth offensively this season.

Nate will be 32 years old and he's had 1/2 a good season in the last four years. Fortunately, it was for the O's in 2012. He hasn't hit 20 bombs since 2009. Where do you come up with this stuff? He is likely to be better than decent but not as good as great. Nate is likely to be a fourth outfielder.

Archived