Its now 2014 and we haven't made any notable moves

AlbionHero

Yes but the whole point is Nate had a track record that proved he was capable. I am supposed to think Lough is suddenly going to hit 20 bombs in his first full season? Give me a break. Most likely he will be decent but not great.

Yeah, and we are paying 10.25 million less for a guy with a lesser track record who may very likely put up something similar to Nate's 1.7 WAR last year. That's part of the risk analysis.. 20 bombs?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nate will be 32 years old and he's had 1/2 a good season in the last four years. Fortunately, it was for the O's in 2012. He hasn't hit 20 bombs since 2009. Where do you come up with this stuff? He is likely to be better than decent but not as good as great. Nate is likely to be a fourth outfielder.

From this argument we have deduced 2 things: Nate wasn't great, Lough isn't great either.

How are we supposed to win then? I hear Beltran is pretty great.

My plan has nothing to do with signing Tanaka. Thats not a realistic expectation. I would however be pushing hard for guys like Garza, Jimenez, Arroyo, and guys like Johan Santana or Jeff Nieman. Guys that will become more attractive once Tanaka is off the table. I imagine Garza and Jimenez will wait out the Tanaka saga, but Bronson Arroyo and Johan Santana could be had now. It seems the Orioles are content waiting around for Burnett to start collecting retirement or not.

Maybe DD has approached agents of some if theses players. We as fAns can't

know everything.

Yeah, and we are paying 10.25 million less for a guy with a lesser track record who may very likely put up something similar to Nate's 1.7 WAR last year. That's part of the risk analysis.. 20 bombs?

Lough should be the backup. Heading into Spring Training with all these question marks is terrible. I am realizing the reality that there is no way this team is going to take the division. I don't think DD or PA cares. They make the "hope and change" trades or signings just enough to get people to watch the games and get their money. The end.

What makes you think they aren't pushing hard. But none of those guys want to sign before Tanaka sets the market for them. Santana and Neiman are jokes. I'd rather have Hammel back.

Hammel is below replacement for his career while Santana has totaled over 50 WAR for his 12 year career. If there is a joke to be made it certainly isn't for Santana. I happen to think all three are good buy low candidates.

From this argument we have deduced 2 things: Nate wasn't great, Lough isn't great either.

How are we supposed to win then? I hear Beltran is pretty great.

Do you really think the O's can put a star at every position? They can't afford that. Only a handful of teams can. They need a strong core that is complemented by players who are inexpensive and interchangeable but play the game full out. They also need very good pitching.

Do you really think the O's can put a star at every position? They can't afford that. Only a handful of teams can. They need a strong core that is complemented by players who are inexpensive and interchangeable but play the game full out. They also need very good pitching.

Can't afford that? Please. They could have afforded Beltran for a couple of years.

I don't want a star at every position.

Nate will be 32 years old and he's had 1/2 a good season in the last four years. Fortunately, it was for the O's in 2012. He hasn't hit 20 bombs since 2009. Where do you come up with this stuff? He is likely to be better than decent but not as good as great. Nate is likely to be a fourth outfielder.

Where do I come up with WHAT stuff? I simply googled "Nate Mclouth" and looked at his stats. I then googled "Lough" and saw his stats.

I don't care about Nate. We did need to upgrade him but Lough is not what I had in mind.

Can't afford that? Please. They could have afforded Beltran for a couple of years.

I don't want a star at every position.

His deal with the Yankees is 3 years, $45 million. He turned down more from the Diamondbacks because he wanted to play for the Yankees.

Lough should be the backup. Heading into Spring Training with all these question marks is terrible. I am realizing the reality that there is no way this team is going to take the division. I don't think DD or PA cares. They make the "hope and change" trades or signings just enough to get people to watch the games and get their money. The end.

Yeah, I'd rather have Lough as a backup myself, but you were making a Lough versus Mclouth argument. They may likely provide very similar production and Lough is a fraction of the price.

As far as the rest of the stuff, we'll just wait and see. I'd rather not be straddling the fence like his either, but it is what it is and there are likely numerous reasons (including profit and politics) behind it. I don't think we'll be favorites to win the division but we at least have a chance to be competitive and I'll be interested in watching the team this year. Maybe the best thing would be that we totally bust early and end up trading a lot of guys at the deadline. Maybe a lot of things will break our way.

Where is the offense? Lough is great at defense. When is the last time a contending team had an all defense LF? This is no joke, the Orioles are right there and not doing anything. Really ticks me off!

Well don't get too upset about it. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

Have a happy new year.

Archived