Does Curt Schilling Deserve to be in the HOF

Redskins Rick

I have to say this whenever somebody brings up Morris's iconic postseason start as a reason for induction - it was only iconic because Lonnie Smith made a horrible baserunning play. Morris actually gave up what should have been the game-losing hit, but Smith totally screwed up on the bases and couldn't score. Does Morris really belong in the HOF just because Lonnie Smith made a bad play?

Is there a youtube video of this?

Nevermind, found it.

[video=youtube;BT_MODis138]

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They need to start revoking voting privileges.

Since nobody EVER was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame unanimously, I'd like to know the names of the voters that DID NOT vote for Willie Mays, Frank Robinson, Cal Ripken Jr., Tom Seaver, and Carl Yastrzemski.

I'd like to hear their explanation of, "Well, they didn't do quite enough to get my vote."

Since nobody EVER was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame unanimously, I'd like to know the names of the voters that DID NOT vote for Willie Mays, Frank Robinson, Cal Ripken Jr., Tom Seaver, and Carl Yastrzemski.

I'd like to hear their explanation of, "Well, they didn't do quite enough to get my vote."

If Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb and Walter Johnson were not unanimous then no one is good enough!

If Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb and Walter Johnson were not unanimous then no one is good enough!

The difference is, Ruth, Cobb and Johnson were eligible when the Hall of Fame was created, and therefore they were competing against everyone who had ever played. Examples of guys who didn't get in that first year: Cy Young, Tris Speaker, Nap Lajoie.

The backlog of eligible candidates affected the voting for many years. For example, Joe DiMaggio wasn't elected on the first ballot.

The difference is, Ruth, Cobb and Johnson were eligible when the Hall of Fame was created, and therefore they were competing against everyone who had ever played. Examples of guys who didn't get in that first year: Cy Young, Tris Speaker, Nap Lajoie.

The backlog of eligible candidates affected the voting for many years. For example, Joe DiMaggio wasn't elected on the first ballot.

That is still the type of "logic" used by voters to not vote for certain candidates.

In the early days the rules were not as mature (mature being very subjective given how in flux the rules have always been). DiMaggio received HOF votes on multiple ballots prior to being retired for five years. He was actually inducted less than four years after his final game. DiMaggio actually received his first HOF vote in 1945!

Didn't think of that. I assume there are no D-backs yet. Could be Randy Johnson, but he's more a Mariner than Curt is a Red Sox.

Right now only Alomar is there, and he only played 38 games for them, and no he isn't wearing their hat.

Randy is expected to be a first round lock.

In the early days the rules were not as mature (mature being very subjective given how in flux the rules have always been). DiMaggio received HOF votes on multiple ballots prior to being retired for five years. He was actually inducted less than four years after his final game. DiMaggio actually received his first HOF vote in 1945!

There was no 5-year waiting period for the Hall of Fame when DiMaggio retired.

Eligibility, Active

1936-45: No waiting period.

1946-53: A player must have been retired one year.

1954: Five-year waiting period installed, though any candidate with 100 or more votes in a previous election would be grandfathered in to continue to be considered.

1979: Candidates must remain on the ballot if named on at least 5% of ballots cast.

http://baseballhall.org/hall-famers/rules-election/rules-history

DiMaggio retired in 1951 when the waiting period was only one year. He was turned down in 1953 and 1954, being passed over for the likes of Chief Bender, Dizzy Dean, Bobby Wallace (who?) and Rabbit Maranville. (Also Bill Dickey, Al Simmons and Bill Terry.)

Another interesting note: from 1940-45, they only had balloting once every three years (so, no voting in 1940-41 or 1943-44), and from 1957-65, they only had balloting every other year (no voting in 1957, '59, '61, '63 or '65).

Schilling is an easy and obvious yes.

Of course, so are Maddux, Glavine, Mussina, Raines, Trammell, Bagwell, Biggio, Piazza, Thomas......

And possibly including Edgar Martinez, Larry Walker, Bonds/Clemens, Palmeiro/McGwire/Sosa.....

And even maybe Jeff Kent, Lee Smith.......

Anybody have an over/under on the number of Armando Benitez votes?

Archived