The Orioles are among the teams interested in Bronson Arroyo

Greg

If the Orioles didn't play in a division with 3 or 4 of the more HR-prone parks in MLB and he hadn't posted a 1.4 HR/9 last year, you might be able to talk me into climbing aboard the Arroyo train. But the dude will be 37 prior to the first ST game and he wants a 2 or 3 year deal at a minimum of $10 million per season, and might prove to be little more than a walking HR dispenser in the AL East over the course of that deal. If ol' man Pete was more generous with our allowance, I'd probably be okay with rolling the dice on him. But I don't want DD to be left holding the bag if Arroyo is unable to hang in the AL East since we don't really have the payroll flexibilty to miss on a $20-35 million dollar gamble.

And I just think there's a very good chance that that is exactly what would happen if we signed him.

Here's a link to the 2013 Park Factors on ESPN sorted by HR: http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/sort/HRFactor

Camden Yards, Yankee Stadium and Rogers' Center are the only really big HR parks in the AL East and are also pretty good for Runs, and they aren't as bad as Great American Ballpark.

I don't think Arroyo is a great option for this team. I think you can put him down for a 4.10-4.40 ERA and I don't know that that's worth the commitment.

On the other hand, the difference in performance between Burnett and Arroyo is much closer than one would assume, thanks mostly to park factors. Some people are acting like Burnett would project as our #1 or #2 while Arroyo would be a slightly better version of Tommy Hunter as a starter. This just isn't true.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's a link to the 2013 Park Factors on ESPN sorted by HR: http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor/_/sort/HRFactor

Camden Yards, Yankee Stadium and Rogers' Center are the only really big HR parks in the AL East and are also pretty good for Runs, and they aren't as bad as Great American Ballpark.

I don't think Arroyo is a great option for this team. I think you can put him down for a 4.10-4.40 ERA and I don't know that that's worth the commitment.

On the other hand, the difference in performance between Burnett and Arroyo is much closer than one would assume, thanks mostly to park factors. Some people are acting like Burnett would project as our #1 or #2 while Arroyo would be a slightly better version of Tommy Hunter as a starter. This just isn't true.

They both/either would be our #2. OUR #2.

I wouldn't guarantee a day more than two years. I'd try to make the second some kind of option.

I'd rather have Burnett but if we miss out and Arroyo could be had for one year with an option, I would accept that as my consolation prize.

But I don't think you get him without at least 2 guaranteed years, and I wouldn't be shocked if someone went to 2 years with an option since there's all that extra TV money floating around now... :angryfire:

I'd rather have Burnett but if we miss out and Arroyo could be had for one year with an option, I would accept that as my consolation prize.

But I don't think you get him without at least 2 guaranteed years, and I wouldn't be shocked if someone went to 2 years with an option since there's all that extra TV money floating around now... :angryfire:

Agree with every word.

Thanks for posting. What if I want neither unless it is for the #4 spot? I said at the beginning of the offseason: we need a 1 (yeah right) or 2 (trade, Garza, Jiminez) AND a fifth for when an injury or ineffectiveness occurs (Gonzo or Bud: both good long men): J Santana fits the bill or Hammel.

I just don't understand why this is brain surgery. Just sign the people you need and move on for Pete's sake...oh wait...ohhh

If one of these two guys is our big piece we are in for a world of pain this year.

You're last two posts are wrong. Exact spots are worthless to think about. ST will sort all that out. And we're not in for a world of pain. Unless decimated by injuries.

If one of these two guys is our big piece we are in for a world of pain this year.
You're last two posts are wrong. Exact spots are worthless to think about. ST will sort all that out. And we're not in for a world of pain. Unless decimated by injuries.

I think a more apt and objective take would be that we could be in for a world of pain, because ...... well, we could be. We were able to salvage a second consecutive winning season last year, but took a dive from the previous season by 8 games.

But I don't think that it could be stated with certainty at this point, particularly because the Orioles are coming off of 2 consecutive winning seasons, not 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 consecutive losing seasons, like we had been in the not-too-distant past.

Four of the five AL East parks rank in the top half with three of those four ranking in the top 10, while three of the five NL Central parks rank in the top half with two of those three placing in the top 10. It doesn't necessarily sound like a noteworthy difference until you factor in the addition of the DH, which he'll face a couple of times a game instead of an opposing pitcher. Those two factors, combined with his 1.4 HR/9 rate from last year and the fact that he's entering his age 37 season, make me very nervous about banking on him as a solution to our starting pitching woes. Sure, Burnett carries most of those same concerns about his age, the parks, and the DH, but he's not as much of a pitch-to-contact guy as Arroyo and he doesn't give up as many HRs, and I think his swing-and-miss stuff probably translates better to the AL East.

Four of the five AL East parks rank in the top half with three of those four ranking in the top 10, while three of the five NL Central parks rank in the top half with two of those three placing in the top 10. It doesn't necessarily sound like a noteworthy difference until you factor in the addition of the DH, which he'll face a couple of times a game instead of an opposing pitcher. Those two factors, combined with his 1.4 HR/9 rate from last year and the fact that he's entering his age 37 season, make me very nervous about banking on him as a solution to our starting pitching woes. Sure, Burnett carries most of those same concerns about his age, the parks, and the DH, but he's not as much of a pitch-to-contact guy as Arroyo and he doesn't give up as many HRs, and I think his swing-and-miss stuff probably translates better to the AL East.

I'd rather have Burnett too, but I think you poo poo Arroyo way too much. I'd take either.

I'd rather have Burnett too, but I think you poo poo Arroyo way too much. I'd take either.

And with Burnett yanking our and Pittsburgh's and anyone elses chains... I just as soon swoop in on Arroyo. Before Tanaka.... happens...

People get hurt, people are ineffective, it happens...you need to plan for it or you won't compete in the AL East. Plain and simple. We were pretty lucky last year and if we had signed another pitcher instead of seeing what stuck (ST DID NOT sort it out AT ALL THAT WAS OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM LAST YEAR!!!) we would have more likely made the playoffs.

I couldn't disagree more.

• 2 weeks later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Orioles having ongoing discussions with free agent Bronson Arroyo. Dodgers also have interest in Arroyo, as <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal">@Ken_Rosenthal</a> and I reported.</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

">January 16, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived