Cast your 2014 Hall of Fame Ballot (Update: Maddux, Glavine, Thomas Elected)

Frobby

Cast your 2014 Hall of Fame Ballot  

586 members have voted

1. 1. Cast your 2014 Hall of Fame Ballot

This poll is closed to new votes

Why not at the same time? I think voters are looking at the counting numbers and Schilling waits longer than Moose. Having said that, Mussina has more wins than Palmer, so in that sense 270 wins in an era of a 5 man rotation shouldn't be an impediment. My guess is he gets in the 40s tomorrow.

I will be very interested to see who polls higher among the HOF voters as between Mussina and Schilling. They both have arguments in their favor. The two of them, and Smoltz, all have good cases but aren't indisputable.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Morris will get in via Veterans vote probably same with Schilling one day. Maddux is the only automatic this year. Glavine will probably get in around 77%. Biggio should get in this year but probably won't again. Thomas will probably have a wait year. Piazza will get in at some point depending on whether he is guilty of just being a homerun hitter in Bonds/McGwire era. Honestly i think Mussina deserves to be in the HOF. He also may have to wait but he deserves it and i would hope that he goes in as a Oriole whether he wants to or not.

While I can agree that Glavine is probably a little overrated and will likely get votes simply because Maddux is on the ballot as well, that doesn't mean I don't think he should be in. Two Cy Youngs, 10 All Star appearances, a respectable overall postseason record and a darn good World Series record save for W-L, and most importantly, longevity. It's that longevity that got him to that magical 300 win mark. Not that most of the quack voters would look at such things, but he was worth 22.7 wins from age 35 onward. Did he have the benefit of playing for some great teams for pretty much his entire career, absolutely. Does he get overrated because of that, a little. But should he be in the Hall, absolutely. Is he more worthy than Schilling or Mussina, I don't know, but than again I believe all three should get in, but only Glavine is getting in this year.

23 people voted for Clemens

22 people voted for Bonds

I'd love to hear the argument from that person.

It's not one person, it's five people who voted for one and not the other:

Barellano and SanFran 327 voted for Bonds and not Clemens (I think we can guess why SanFran327 did so).

csgordos, MemphisO'sFan and Orange Blackbird voted for Clemens and not Bonds.

I guess one difference the Clemens voters can claim is that he was acquitted of all charges in the criminal case against him, whereas Bonds was convicted on certain charges in his case.

Dear everyone who voted Glavine but not Mussina: care to post a rationale?

I have yet to see this particular choice defended by any HoF voter with anything other than "Glavine feels like a Hall of Famer; Mussina doesn't." (ie, the Murray Chass method). I would be interested to see an actual argument backing this particular set of choices.

Clemens, of course. My bad - but I went over the list again (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/W_career.shtml) and I'm pretty sure he's the only one. And there's about 30-35 Hall of Fame pitchers with fewer than 270, depending on how you want to count Negro Leaguers etc.

Mike has 270 on the dot doesn't he?

Dear everyone who voted Glavine but not Mussina: care to post a rationale?

I have yet to see this particular choice defended by any HoF voter with anything other than "Glavine feels like a Hall of Famer; Mussina doesn't." (ie, the Murray Chass method). I would be interested to see an actual argument backing this particular set of choices.

Clemens, of course. My bad - but I went over the list again (http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/W_career.shtml) and I'm pretty sure he's the only one. And there's about 30-35 Hall of Fame pitchers with fewer than 270, depending on how you want to count Negro Leaguers etc.

Disclosure: I didn't vote. Mussina seemed to stay out of the limelight. My guess is that most baseball fans outside of New York and Baltimore remember him as a very good pitcher, but would be surprised to learn of his accomplishments. It is the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Great Stats or the Hall of Modesty.

Neither deserve to be in the HOF.

I dont care if Clemens was never convicted on criminals charges. He can't pass the smoke test.

Save the HOF for their truly worthy of it.

There are "clean" guys in the hall already who weren't truly worth, as I'm sure Drungo can highlight.

My subjective argument is that I don't like Mussina.

I just think that in comparison Glavine not only did it longer, he probably did it a bit better.

You can't ignore the 300 wins or the Cy Young awards. Mussina has neither.

Mussina is a worthy candidate, but I think Glavine has better HOF credentials.

FWIW, Roundtable show on MLBN last night, Harold Reynolds said the difference in the two of them is because Moose pitched his entire career in the AL East. He said put Moose in the NL and he easily matches Glavine's numbers.

Archived