The Comp draft pick is hurting free agency.

bpilktree

Compensation makes no sense. The whole idea behind free agency was to remove team control over players whose contract was up. The current system is a legacy of the reserve system. If teams want more control over players, they should sign them to longer contracts or contracts with options. Once a player becomes a free agent, he should be just that; free to sign with any team with no strings attached.

I disagree with your viewpoint. Not that you are wrong, I just do not have your free as a bird worldview of the situation. Maybe it should be like Japan, where you can not be free for 9 MLB seasons. And then go free. Free as a bird.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bad idea times two. They can suppress free agent salaries and give players true freedom by eliminating the artificial ramp to high salaries: arbitration. Let players be free agents after four years. No arbitration. No compensation.

So. Salary cap then?

I disagree with your viewpoint. Not that you are wrong, I just do not have your free as a bird worldview of the situation. Maybe it should be like Japan, where you can not be free for 9 MLB seasons. And then go free. Free as a bird.

Maybe it should be like America, where people can't tell you where you have to work.

"Congratulations, for at least six years you have been one of the top players in the world at the game of baseball. Tens of millions of people watch you play and admire your skill. You are free to sign with any of the 30 teams in Major League Baseball. However, that team will have to give up a draft choice to sign you. Best of luck."

Maybe it should be like America, where people can't tell you where you have to work.

In America, you have to work at places that do what you do. Baseball has a partial anti trust exemption, because we saw the horrors of the proliferation and raiding of new leagues. Like prohibition, your way sounds good.

In America, you have to work at places that do what you do. Baseball has a partial anti trust exemption, because we saw the horrors of the proliferation and raiding of new leagues. Like prohibition, your way sounds good.

I'd say you have a false equivalency problem there.

"Congratulations, for at least six years you have been one of the top players in the world at the game of baseball. Tens of millions of people watch you play and admire your skill. You are free to sign with any of the 30 teams in Major League Baseball. However, that team will have to give up a draft choice to sign you. Best of luck."

99.98 percent of all the humans that can throw or hit a baseball think that is a fine deal. Especially since all you have to do to avoid the pick, is to agree to be compensated as the average of the 125 best in the world at what you do.

In my view the tweaks they have made to the compensation system do not favor either party. The players have an opportunity to sign a very lucrative one year deal, if a QO is made, and lose leverage if the QO is rejected. The FO no longer has the uncertainty of a nonsensical ranking system that would complicate signing decisions, and they have a very simple decision to make regarding the qualifying offer: make the offer and risk having the player for a high 1-year contract, or sit tight and let the player walk. The actual compensation traded is actually about the same, with the exception that the team losing the player doesn't get an extra pick. That incentivizes making the qualifying offer slightly, but that is neither a plus or minus for the players as a whole, as players can accept the QO and receive a very sizeable contract.

The main difference is that teams are more likely to appropriate correct value to their draft picks (and in some cases overvaluing them), which is suppressing the value of UFA.

Or, you can go coach high school.

99.98 percent of all the humans that can throw or hit a baseball think that is a fine deal. Especially since all you have to do to avoid the pick, is to agree to be compensated as the average of the 125 best in the world at what you do.

My guess is that they've never thought about it. Playing baseball is probably the only job they've ever had.

Or, you can go coach high school.

You can go play in Egypt or India or Korea or Japan. Or even Norway. If your skills are enough to create a market in and of themselves. Without the trappings that MLB brings to the part.

You can take your Skilz to the Israeli professional league.

My guess is that they've never thought about it. Playing baseball is probably the only job they've ever had.

I agree with you completely here. And if they did, and if the were not one of the .02 percent that make millions from their gifts, they would not think long about that offer if it were to be discussed with them.

The equivalency is in the sounds good. Not the proof.

Freedom always sounds good. Always sounds better than other alternatives.

If the owners can't figure out ways to keep getting richer while granting players true free agency, they are a sorry lot indeed.

Archived