162 game suspension for A-Rod

xian4

It very well could be that, specifically for salary/money purposes, they put it at 162 games, but they're not going to play semantic games if a 1 game playoff situation happens.

60 Minutes is supposed to have info tomorrow I'll be interested to see what all they had/have on him.

They apparently have a fully blabbing Anthony Bosch ready to talk ad nauseam... for what that's worth.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you read the text of the arbitrator's decision? I haven't. The media pundits discussing the decision probably haven't either.

The decision is sealed and will remain so due to player confidentiality clauses in the CBA/JDA. Now if Rodriguez does go to court, then the decision could be unsealed and made a matter of public record. Naturally, like other aspects of his entire arb hearing, I wouldn't be surprised if bits and pieces of the decision are mysteriously leaked.

A-Rod is suspended for the 2014 regular season and the post season. A 1-game playoff would be the 163rd game of the regular season, hence still under the suspension.

I'd like to see how the arbitrator rationalized the reduction. The CBA provides for both 50 and 150 game suspensions and for a lifetime ban. Anything in between seems like it would be extralegal.

Wasn't the difference (leading to suspension that wasn't 50 or 100 games) due to him also being shown to have been recruiting other players, actively engaging in obstruction to hamper the investigation and lying to about his relationship(s) with the others implicated in the scandal?

I haven't watched 60 Minutes in years. Will tonight for sure tho!

Pretty damning testimony by Bosch.

Even if you don't regard Bosch as credible, the phone text logs are pretty strong corroboration. It boggles the mind to think that A-Rod would coordinate so closely with Bosch over some legal nutritional supplements, as A-Rod's lawyer insisted.

There's also the matter of the $50K wire transfer from an A-Rod company to Bosch's lawyer (which the lawyer returned).

Wasn't the difference (leading to suspension that wasn't 50 or 100 games) due to him also being shown to have been recruiting other players, actively engaging in obstruction to hamper the investigation and lying to about his relationship(s) with the others implicated in the scandal?

Supposedly, but how was that covered under the CBA?

But none of that has anything to do with how PED are covered under the CBA. That is all commissioner's "best interest in the game" powers.

But none of that has anything to do with how PED are covered under the CBA. That is all commissioner's "best interest in the game" powers.

I was going to bring this up myself. You can't go by the "PED Test Catching" System, because this is way beyond the scope of that. This has way more to do with his ringleading of distribution and the attempt to derail the investigation. Hell, the interfering with the investigation alone should get him significant time in my eyes.

http://joeposnanski.com/joeblogs/the-60-minutes-report/

The trouble with liars, as the old line goes, is that they don’t have the decency to lie all the time. Somewhere in his parade of nonsense, paranoia and self-aggrandizement, it seems evident that Anthony Bosch told some truths about Alex Rodriguez and performance enhancing drugs. It just doesn’t seem practical for him to have made it all up. But to get to those truths, wherever they begin and end, you have to traverse a latrine of drivel, stupidity, delusion and a soul-crushing assault on the game of baseball.

The 60 Minutes report (Part I and Part II), in case you have not seen it yet, will make you dislike everyone more. Everyone. No matter how much you may dislike Alex Rodriguez, Tony Bosch, Bud Selig or Rob Manfred, it is guaranteed that by the end of this thing your opinions of them will have dropped substantially. You will like your dog less after seeing this thing.

In College sports an athlete gets caught cheating he along with the team gets punished. Why not apply that to MLB Players? Yankees had Pettite. Clemens and A-Rod doing various types of drugs and nothing happens to the Yankee's. In college they strip titles and awards from teams. They punish teams for years. Yankees 2009 title should be stripped.

And he sues!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>BREAKING: Alex Rodriguez sues Major League Baseball, players' union to overturn season-long suspension.</p>— The Associated Press (@AP) <a href="

">January 13, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I so hope he gets his day in court.

In College sports an athlete gets caught cheating he along with the team gets punished. Why not apply that to MLB Players? Yankees had Pettite. Clemens and A-Rod doing various types of drugs and nothing happens to the Yankee's. In college they strip titles and awards from teams. They punish teams for years. Yankees 2009 title should be stripped.

The O's had Grimsley, Tejada, Raffy and Roberts. Can they please strip away the losing seasons?

When discussing his pay and the Yank's salary relief they specified that he was suspended for 162 games, not the entire season. If it was a full season suspension then he would have forfeited all pay.

And I agree on the suspension length, I don't see how 162 games was an option.

The suspension was for the "2014 season and 2014 postseason" with a notation that he was to lose "162 days of pay".

Archived