Team inviting Cust & Young to camp. Reynolds?

Redskins Rick

Idiot.

I like the Young signing and look forward to seeing him hit at Camden Yards.

He's a .321 lifetime hitter at Camden too...

So he should be excited about our continued dumpster diving and pleased that we signed Young as opposed to I don't know, Corey Hart?

Then again I assume you would be excited if the Orioles traded Chris Davis for a bag of balls, as long as it was PA approved :rolleyes:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles seemed in a rush to sign Young yesterday after news broke that he had been invited to the mini-camp. I was told that a few issues needed to be "resolved," and it happened before I could head out to dinner.

Young will receive $1 million if he makes the team, and he could earn another $750,000 in incentives, as CBSSports.com reported last night.

It would be a surprise if he doesn't break camp with the Orioles, who like the idea of having him face left-handers as their designated hitter. They obviously did their homework on Young, who's been involved in a few controversies.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2014/01/a-frantic-first-day-of-mini-camp.html

A "surprise if he doesn't break camp with the Orioles?" I don't know about that.

So he should be excited about our continued dumpster diving and pleased that we signed Young as opposed to I don't know, Corey Hart?

Then again I assume you would be excited if the Orioles traded Chris Davis for a bag of balls, as long as it was PA approved :rolleyes:

The "Idiot" remark was because of the tired "playoff tickets" cliche.

I see nothing wrong with bringing Young aboard and if you do, then so be it.

As for the "PA approved" comment... I'm not a shill no matter what anyone here says.

What is the deal with Cust? He had some great years in Oakland, made the mistake of thinking he could hit in Safeco, then went to the NYY AAA and just did what he does Ks, BB, and hit for power. How does he end up without a job last year? Was he overseas? Was he hurt? Honestly he might be able to actually help. He is capable of putting up some numbers and that short porch should help him. I know he fell down and he plays ugly but he has the ability to get on base. I think he is worth taking a look at and having him stashed in Norfolk is probably decent insurance.

He was a PED guy. And I think he wasn't good even then. But hey. He could be Lew Ford n

He was a PED guy. And I think he wasn't good even then. But hey. He could be Lew Ford n

I did not know he had ever been caught using PEDs. That makes more sense. As to him being no good he has a 376 lifetime ML OBP and had a 400 OBP in AAA in 2012. Not a lot of guys with those stats out of work the next season.

The "Idiot" remark was because of the tired "playoff tickets" cliche.

I see nothing wrong with bringing Young aboard and if you do, then so be it.

As for the "PA approved" comment... I'm not a shill no matter what anyone here says.

I don't see anything wrong with it in a vacuum, but it stands for the notion that our front office prefers targeting cheap underperforming players (and in this case one with an anti-Semitic and drug past) over a guy like Hart, who could have been had for $6M a season.

Question: Is Mark Reynolds a better DH than Reimold, Pearce or Urrutia?

I think its a fair question. What if Mark's market falls out from under him and he can be signed for 2-3M. The Yankees have stated they don't want him. The Rays signed Loney instead to play 1B. I don't know who wants him. Reynolds is 30 years old.

Here are his three year averages:

479 AB 68 R, 27 HR, 74 RBI, 66 BB, 170 SO, 221/321/438/759

What do you think?

In my humble opinion, no. He does not put the ball in play enough. Strikes out a third of the time. Good things happen when you put the bat on the ball (ie errors, sacs).

In my humble opinion, no. He does not put the ball in play enough. Strikes out a third of the time. Good things happen when you put the bat on the ball (ie errors, sacs).

My concern is whether Reynolds does enough when he isn't striking out. He was pretty awful last year (.220/.306/.393) and his overall trend line has been down the last few years.

Cust had a family member or follower named Custer who posted many threads on here defending him. It would be great to have him back! :clap3:

Seconded, thirded, whatever we're up to in this thread. Custer wrote amazing poetic epic posts reminiscent of 'Casey At The Bat'.

Archived