Opportunity....

EagleOriole

The next four games are a golden opportunity for this team to take off.

@ NC State

V. Pitt

v. Miami

@ VT Tech

If we can somehow manage to defeat Pitt at home and we can win the other four our ACC record will be 7-2. That would be great and get us into contention for a bid.

Now is the time for the Terps...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to believe but the Terps have dug a pretty deep hole. We would be in a lot better shape without the bad loss to Or St and picking up one of the tough loses to either Uconn or GW. If we had that we would have a little more wiggle room IMO. Honestly the only way we get in is beat several teams that are simply better than us without losing to anybody behind us. Even then with our remaining schedule we would probably have to win a couple maybe even 3 ACC tourny games. We just are not that great this year IMO.

I don't expect Maryland to beat anyone frankly. They already havevlost too many close games that could've helped them- they aren't making the tournament. They can't lock down on defense when necessary. And there isn't one player who can finish. Offense is chaotic. No slashes to the hoop. Wild shots. Our big men suck.

And they didn't take advantage of the opportunity they had tonight. Maryland does not have a single consistent player on their team. Pitiful team. Turgeon better hope for a big turnaround next year or he is gone.

By rights he ought to be on the hot seat already. But his contract is so outrageous (8 years guaranteed) and the athletic department at UMD is so strapped that I think they're stuck with him for at least 3 more years.

I don't expect Maryland to beat anyone frankly. They already havevlost too many close games that could've helped them- they aren't making the tournament. They can't lock down on defense when necessary. And there isn't one player who can finish. Offense is chaotic. No slashes to the hoop. Wild shots. Our big men suck.

Maryland is just absolutely terrible in half court, settled offense.

1) The big men are absolutely awful. Chuck Mitchell scraps on the boards and scores some that way but can't give any offensive production in the set offense. His physical limitations just don't allow it. Shaq Cleare really needs to transfer. He showed one nice move last game and some of us jokingly got excited. He started tonight and got a grand total of 6 minutes. He simply isn't a good DI basketball player and doesn't show any promise to be one. Time to keep him on the bench and see if Dodd might give them something going forward. You see why Smotrycz was going to have a decreasing role at Michigan. He gives you nothing in the post, is awful on defense and doesn't seem to hit shots when they matter. Nice stretch 4 in theory but comes out negative overall.

2) Off-guards/wing play: Layman and Faust remain so inconsistent. I still have hope for Layman but Faust is what he is. He will never be a dependable player. Layman still plays passively too often. Dez remains the best player on the team but hasn't developed as a player. He remains dependent on driving to the basket and outmuscling guards. Smart teams still don't respect his jumper.

3) Point guard questions remain: Seth Allen is back. Wooo! Except he is shooting 33% from the field. Allen remains a shoot first PG and I'm willing to give him time to find his groove but currently isn't really helping the team with his poor shooting. Peters seems like the better draw and dish of the two but obviously isn't blowing anyone out of the water.

4) Perhaps the scariest part is that I don't see how these players work together going forward. No one is particularly good and no one seems to work really well together. It doesn't seem like Turgeon has figured out how to divide minutes up either.

There's very little to like about this team. Seth Allen looked good tonight at times. Everyone else was the same. I really dislike how Turgeon coaches this team. He pulls guys so quick if they take a bad shot. Yet, this tactic does not prevent the players from continuing to take bad shots. Plus, no one knows their role or has any confidence. Man, not pretty.

The current roster acts like a playground team. Actually I have seen better playground teams. Back to the Terps. There are 4 or 5 players on this roster who think they are NBA material and only think about shooting. Little to no defensive skills. Won't cut it in the NBA and won't get drafted. Major disappointments? How about everybody. How could Turgeon lose these guys so fast? Last years team had the 7 footer and he had limitations also but was better than most of the current players. The team played better last year. In spite of Turgeon's constant criticism of the team you would think a few players would overlook this and try to play like a future NBA player. The big men play like high school players. All they have to do is score 10 points a game and get 10 rebounds and they can end up in the NBA. If you were 6'8" or taller with a big body you should be able to get 10 and 10.

Will they improve? I hope so. Does anyone know what Juan Dixon is doing as a coach?

The disinterest in this team is amazing, even Munson has stopped posting. I only looked to see if they were playing today around lunch time, when I saw it was during dinner time, I barely shrugged my shoulders that I would miss the game.

Is this really what MD basketball has become? And we are moving to the Big 10 next year, I am not sure I will ever be as into MD as I used to be and that is a shame. I really hope something changes in the years to come because this sucks!

The disinterest in this team is amazing, even Munson has stopped posting. I only looked to see if they were playing today around lunch time, when I saw it was during dinner time, I barely shrugged my shoulders that I would miss the game.

Is this really what MD basketball has become? And we are moving to the Big 10 next year, I am not sure I will ever be as into MD as I used to be and that is a shame. I really hope something changes in the years to come because this sucks!

Totally agree. Suckage! It will take some time for me to care as much when MD goes to the BIG10 also because we lose out on those traditional rivalries of Duke and UNC. Like, you know what could salvage this season? Beating Duke in the ACC tourney while the Raycom cameras flash to a crying Duke kid. What happens next year when we suck again? Am I really going to be excited for that MD - Ohio State game. Not the same thing. UMD crapped on the fans when they moved to the Big10. It was about money (not that much more), and it was a short-sighted move, even while they claimed it was a visionary move. C'mon. Suckage! It's going to take a long time to get used to the Big10 and establish rivalries.

I'm going to miss the rivalry games as well. But let's be honest, MD doesn't really have any rivals now. Duke has been a large step above MD for several years now. It's just not the same.

I enjoy watching MD play. It doesn't matter all that much who they are playing. What I want to see is good basketball. I only get that in spurts now. I think MD has the talent to be a tourney team, but they are maddeningly inconsistent. For example how does Mitchell go from 18 rebounds to 0? As poorly as they played against Pitt they had a chance to win that game in the final two minutes. I don't know if this is who they are, if they're not putting in the time and effort to get better, or if there is a lack of coaching. Whatever it is it's not working.

I know how you feel murph. I was going to start a game thread, but the interest in MD basketball so low. I didn't even end up watching the game. I'm still holding out hope that Turgeon can turn this thing around. He has a top ten class coming in next year along with a lot of experience. I'm an optimist when it comes to the teams I follow so my hopes may be a little blurred.

I know how you feel murph. I was going to start a game thread, but the interest in MD basketball so low. I didn't even end up watching the game. I'm still holding out hope that Turgeon can turn this thing around. He has a top ten class coming in next year along with a lot of experience. I'm an optimist when it comes to the teams I follow so my hopes may be a little blurred.

I figured that was the case and don't blame you at all. I am usually optimistic too, especially with MD basketball, my second favorite team to follow next to the O's, but man this is awful. We may yet end up with a losing season, when is the last time that has happened? I hope your right about next year and about Turgeon! I also understand this would be a completely different team if Len had stuck around and I am trying to factor that into my disappointment, but it is tough. Maybe I will give them another shot and watch the game tomorrow night, maybe playing Miami will cure our ills a bit...ha.

Archived