Brewers get Garza for 4 years 52m (4 for 50 Official)

Greg

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I understand that they could offer that contract. It's the Brewers. They're a big market franchise.

The Brewers projected payroll right now - $96 million

The Royals projected payroll right now - $91 million

If we aren't careful we might end up in the bottom 1/3 of the league by the time the season starts. With teams that have no business even being close to us, ahead of us.

Classic case of Stockholm Syndrome for some around here.

Yet every thread is filled to the brim with posts angry at every signing or non-signing. Seriously, go count up the posts in this thread. If they are not at least 5-1 in favor of raging against the O's and the FO rather than praising the non-move then you get $5,000,000,000 theoretical internet dollars.

I will, thank you.
WTF!!! That is all it took and we weren't in on this????????????

My goodness....we are just friggin awful.

I made my mind up, I am skipping OD this year and going to the Nats OD, easier for me anyways. At least the Nats make their team better.

Man, I wanted Garza bad. Disgusting...

Well...bye.

I thought he would get at least 4/$60, so I'm surprised that a bottom feeder was able to sign him for only 4/$52. A contending team like the O's might have signed him for even less.

I understand that there are durability concerns with Garza, but when he's been healthy he's been a very effective pitcher in difficult environments. All pitchers are risky, and pitchers of Garza's caliber usually cost more in terms of dollars and years. Unless you have an amazing developmental pipeline like Tampa, you can't have enough front line pitching to contend for a championship unless you are willing to take some risks on free agent starters. All things considered, this is a risk I would have taken.

So, yea, as of now, I still consider myself in the bargaining stage of my yearly, Orioles off-season grief. "The O's must be in on Garza, or Jimenez, or Santana, or..., or at least Arroyo, right?"

But the sooner the starting pitching that the Orioles could use but won't sign ride off into the sunset with other teams, the sooner I'll be able to progress into the depression stage. Then and only then, can I finally move onto the fifth and final stage. Acceptance. Otherwise known as spring training. Then finally, as acceptance sets in, I can finally enjoy the only fun part of being an O's fan: The regular season.

That's a fine contract for Garza. It seems a little strange for a non-contender like the Brewers to get him, but more power to them. Jimenez, Santana, Arroyo or Burnett would still make me happy. I remain patient.

Have fun on the Nats board too by the way.

Ignore is a useful feature of this board. Since I started using it, I see a lot less cries for attention and broken records.

Tell me again why the Orioles couldn't do a deal like this?

They are not going to sign a pitcher over three years. Hasn't Garza had health

issues in the past? It just doesn't bother me when a player signs with someone

else. All the hand wringing and fussing and cussing PA won't change a thing. IMO

That's a fine contract for Garza. It seems a little strange for a non-contender like the Brewers to get him, but more power to them. Jimenez, Santana, Arroyo or Burnett would still make me happy. I remain patient.

Ignore is a useful feature of this board. Since I started using it, I see a lot less cries for attention and broken records.

Jimenez ONLY if he can be had cheap -- IMO makes the most sense with the loss of a draft pick... havent heard us really interested in him though.

Santana wants more $$$ than Garza, So I'd pass..PA agrees.

Arroyo will have a lot of options; he will get overpaid so count us out... PA agrees.

Burnett is probably retiring OR he could end up playing half a season with the Bucs.

Archived