Source: O's working on Fernando Rodney...

Bazooka Jones

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welp, it's hard to argue.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> traded a guy who was consistently good, did his job, and loved by his teammates. Now they're looking at 36 yr old Rodney.</p>— Andrew Rickli (@AndrewRickli) <a href="https://twitter.com/AndrewRickli/statuses/426441452697436161">January 23, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Why should I expect that? Rodney had less blown saves than JJ last year. He can also actually strike guys out.

He also had fewer chances than JJ, which stands to reason that if he had more saves he would have blown some more than he did. Having an excellent pitching staff helped cut down on the number of times he was needed.

Depending on the price, obviously, he could be a good signing.

Can't say I like the dude much though. At least he isn't a probable wife beater like Rodriguez. Or an anti-semite like Young. Orioles are targeting all the high character guys these days.

And you know what else kills me? These "reports," for whatever they're worth, say to expect "another significant addition" beyond Rodney.

Another...significant...addition. Translation: Rodney would be viewed as a significant addition. In other words, if Rodney's setting the bar on what qualifies as "significant," don't you think that "Rodney and Arroyo" could spell the end of the O's offseason? If Rodney is "significant," isn't Arroyo, as well?

Someone else mentioned earlier in this thread that they're pissed at having renewed their season tickets. At this point, I am glad to say that I didn't make the same mistake. I am, however, furious...just the same.

All that sounds pretty good. My dislike comes more from the whole bow and arrow thing.

I didn't mean to say Rodney was a low character guy, though obviously my post seems to imply this. I was more going on a tangent about how, despite not caring much for Rodney's demeanor, I much prefer that sort of behavior to Young's or, especially, KRod's.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Uh huh... see all of my posts about the more to SS than just arm strength. It's ok.. keep circling this. If the O's end up moving on from Gunnar in five or six years and they slide JH over to SS then, I'm sure that you will come back and point to how you predicted him as a ML SS in 2024. Good fer you, bud.     
    • We knew he was healthy last summer, no?   He pitched in five games in August/September and was throwing 96, I believe.  
    • How was I wrong about something that is yet to be proven?     And you have definitely hinted that he won’t be a good option at SS now or in the future…and that is with or without Gunnar or Ortiz.
    • Pretty sure that I've stated consistently that I feel that he will improve and that he can probably play there but that he's never going to be their top defensive option at a premier defensive position, on a team that has demonstrated their prioritization of defense up the middle. It's ok that you were wrong about something. I know that's difficult for you to accept.  
    • This is true..for 2024. We will see if this is true beyond that. There is more to SS than just arm strength.  I doubt Holliday will ever have Gunnar’s arm strength, no matter how much he works on it. 
    • When you have Gunnar Henderson on the team, I don’t believe Holliday moves him off SS.  If I’m reading baseball savant correctly, Gunnar averages 84 mph on his throws and topped at 90.2. I’m not saying Holliday isn’t special, I’m just saying Gunnar is the better fit at SS and Holliday is going to start the year at 2B. There are plenty of teams that Holliday would be there starting SS but the Os aren’t one. He may fill in there. 
    • romorr 1:02 If there was a Baltimore Oriole pitching prospect in next years top 100, can you give me your two best guesses? Baumeister and De Leon?   Eric A Longenhagen 1:02 nailed it with Baumeister i think   1:03 you guys are good at this and basically guessing the names in this next piece   jakefromboonesfarm 1:03 Lots of distance between major rankings of Kjerstad/Cowser, neither of whom blew any doors off in majors last year.  What separates them so much in your eval?   Eric A Longenhagen 1:04 Kjerstad's physicality and barrel control > Cowser. Cowser is a more discerning hitter but doesn't have nearly as much physical talent. Heston looked bulky and strong during '22 AFL, looked super cut and explosive in 2023, I thought he hit a different gear
  • Popular Contributors